Decided to run my 2nd string saw today.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Engineeringnerd

Engineeringnerd

ArboristSite Operative
I took the old Eager Beaver 3.7 (Mac 610 clone) out today and fueled it up for the first time in years. She took 4 pulls to work gas into the carb, and 2 more to crank.

Cut really well, but a little like slow motion now that I've gotten used to the Huskys. It was kind of fun to get her running again, and all in all I think this is a great, if somewhat clunky saw! One thing I really like is the way the carb screws are visible from the outside of the saw and adjustments were very easy, even with the saw running. Both of my Huskies are a pain in the neck in this respect.

I was surprised at the power. It doesn't rev like my others but the cutters do a good job of staying in motion! I've had this one since I think 1988 and haven't every had any work done to the engine, not even a carb cleaning. The only issue I've had is the starter recoil got screwed up and I replaced it several years ago along with a bad on-off switch.

All in all it was a good experience and reminded me that the saws of yesteryear weren't all bad. Just a little heavy and a little slow.

Timberhauler

Timberhauler

Addicted to ArboristSite
I've got an old Pro Mac 750 that I still get out from time to time.It doesn't turn the same rpm's by far,but it will hold it's own with my MS440.I wish I could find all of the parts I needed to restore it,just to remind me of days past.It was my first big saw,actually my second,I had two,but wore the first one out and replaced it with a 034 stihl.

Engineeringnerd

Engineeringnerd

ArboristSite Operative
Timberhauler,

How do you like your your 385XP and your 395XP? I've been considering a larger saw to carry a 32" bar (upper limit for my 372XP in hardwood) and have been thinking about the 395 or more recently even the Dolmar 7900.

Ggg

ArboristSite Member
I can relate to the old McC days. I have a few PM610 's and enjoy cutting with them. I still carry one of them as my back up saw. I agree the chain seems to move slowly in comparison but with a lot of torque. IIRC it's a better saw for noodling than a high rev modern saw. I really love the McC sound, nice, loud and deep like a USA made engine should sound.
On the Husky 395xp I have a 36" IIRC bar and cut mostly hardwood with it. I like it very much. Saw is balanced nicely with that bar. I have not used a 385xp or any Dolmar, but I can set up a comparison with a Dolmar since my local dealer is a good guy and a friend of mine. Besides I owe him a test log or two anyway.

Timberhauler

Timberhauler

Addicted to ArboristSite
I actually bought those 395's because I was so impressed with the 385's.The 385's have no problem with a 32 inch bar,though I have 24's on them,I have used large bars on them and put them in the biggest of trees many times,and they get it done.I mentioned in another post that these saws are two years old,and still run like new which has impresed me,because our bigger saws are usually on their last leg in around two years....I'm awe-struck over my new 395's.I keep the big saws strictly for cutting big wood to keep from wearing down my mid-sized saws so fast.I haven't used them to tackle a monster tree yet,but I will have by the end of the week.I did use them to work up some firewood the other day,and was instantly impressed....Another good one is the MS650 Stihl.I bought it a year ago,and it's been a good one as well.Other than the sound of the engine,I can tell no difference between the 385 and the 650.I bought the 650 for yet another long term comparison.

Engineeringnerd

Engineeringnerd

ArboristSite Operative
Timberhauler,

Let me know how the monster tree goes with the 395xp and what setup you use. I've read a lot of strings about the Dolmar 7900 keeping up with the 385xp and have considered getting one of those to run a 32" bar for bigger trees.

Few of the tree's I cut exceed 30" in diameter, but I really like to get them with one cut versus coming in from both sides. Allows me to make better cuts and get the wedges in from behind easier.

RED-85-Z51

RED-85-Z51

Addicted to ArboristSite
Ive got 2 of those saws.

A Pro Mac 610, and a TimberBear.

I need a starter cover for the PM610, but it runs and cuts like a champ.

Always cranks after a couple pulls, never needs anything done to it.

I paid 75 for the TB, running. With 3/8 Full Chisel, and a 20" bar.

And I was given the PM610, I had to clean it up real good, took it 100% apart and went through it.
Things are built like tanks!

mbopp

mbopp

ArboristSite Operative
I inherited dad's PM 655 & resurrected it.
I was given a Monkey Wards 610 clone with a scored cylinder, I got a parts saw off of Ebay that had a good short block for that one. Both of them even have working oilers.

Engineeringnerd

Engineeringnerd

ArboristSite Operative
Red,

For occasional cutting, kinda makes you wonder if an old Mac isn't a great solution for some of the visitors on AS. A lot of people write in for advice on a saw for a cord or two a year, and these saws (and parts) are available for reasonably cheap. Truth said, I've had very little need for parts other than the pull cover like you need (got one on ebay for $20 new) and a new switch for $3.

Timberhauler

Timberhauler

Addicted to ArboristSite
Due to the recent rain,it was too wet to get anything done today,I may be able to start on those big oaks by the end of the week.One of the 395's has a 32 inch bar,the other has a 28.The 28 will probably be the saws that puts these trees on the ground and bucks the logs.I use the saw with the bigger bar for cutting stumps flush to the ground so we can grind them.The 28 inch bar is my favorite because I can fall a tree with up to a five and a half foot trunk with it.It rare that we cut something bigger than that,but is does happen at least once or twice a year.Right now I'm using Windsor 50APL chain which is basically a clone of the Oregon 72LG.I have a 42 inch bar for the husky's,when I'm running that bar is the only time I use skip chain.I can also tell you that I have a white oak log over at my dump-site that is a little over 48 inches that I have been slowly cutting up for firewood,and that 395 with the 28 inch bar cuts as fast as one of the 385's with a 20 inch bar,but other than that,the 395's will mostly be used for heavy-duty fallong and bucking,usually once the tree is on the grouna and the logs cut,I do everything elso with the 440 to save my back.One could argue that the 440 is capable of doing it all,which it is,but it takes less effort and goes much quicker with the bigger saws

Highside

Highside

ArboristSite Lurker
395xp

In response to your question on the 395xp, I have one,bought it about 2 1/2 months ago, use it every day on the skids with a 22" bar, and get into the bush and cross-cut with a 24" +.I love it to bits and would recomend it to anyone!

Latest posts