Decisions, decisions...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bremen

Bremen

ArboristSite Member
Another option in used saws would be a 6401 HD rental. Probably half the specified budget initally, with the $200 upgrade option to a 7900 for when you buy more saws :D Just a thought, I'd probably get a 359 or somethin' .

Freakingstang

Freakingstang

Doctor Freakinstein
Not a 365, too heavy for its power......

Ahh B.S. :hmm3grin2orange: I used two of them for 6 years. They are great torquey saws and have a home at the firewood pile. It is a little heavy, but for the longest time, that was all I knew in terms of weight. You can get a good used one 2-3 bucks normally around here.

sachsmo

sachsmo

Addicted to ArboristSite
Dolmar 5100,

Man this is a little hot rod, with a 18" bar (more like a 17" i.e.64 link loop)
I've had mine 3 weeks and already cut 3 cords and limbed all the mess and burned it up. Have a new husky 359 e-tech 20" it's still on the first tank of gas.( it's been under the tree) The 359 is a fine saw got mine for $439.50 delivered to the door with pro bar and 3 chains. But I just can't put that little Dolmar down, It's a couple pounds lighter and a lot quicker limbing and in the wood. I live S. of Ft.Wayne and have a dealer here selling them for 359.00 plus 6% tax. Gets you a fine saw and bragging rights over any other stock 50cc saw on the market. You could get a spare loop of chain and spare sprocket and still come in at $400.00

Freakingstang

Freakingstang

Doctor Freakinstein
Dolmar 5100,

Man this is a little hot rod, with a 18" bar (more like a 17" i.e.64 link loop)
I've had mine 3 weeks and already cut 3 cords and limbed all the mess and burned it up. Have a new husky 359 e-tech 20" it's still on the first tank of gas.( it's been under the tree) The 359 is a fine saw got mine for $439.50 delivered to the door with pro bar and 3 chains. But I just can't put that little Dolmar down, It's a couple pounds lighter and a lot quicker limbing and in the wood. I live S. of Ft.Wayne and have a dealer here selling them for 359.00 plus 6% tax. Gets you a fine saw and bragging rights over any other stock 50cc saw on the market. You could get a spare loop of chain and spare sprocket and still come in at $400.00

Another happy 5100 owner....

It is a fine choice, and probably the best for under 400 bucks!

ciscoguy01

ciscoguy01

Addicted to ArboristSite

Dude, I gotta agree. My wife and I tried a 5100 out a few weeks ago, no doubt about it. What a nice saw. Great power, light, fast as sh17. Still doesn't have the UMPH of my 7900, but than again, that's almost twice the saw. I will say this. In another week, I'll have a 5100 sitting on my floor bro... :rock: :cheers:

I reserved one already dude...

buck futter

buck futter

ArboristSite Guru
how about a wildthing and $250 worth of beer. when the saw breaks tell your wife you need to get another saw because you wore the other one out. She will either say you should buy a higher quality saw or agree to getting another 400 dollar poulan. My luck is my wife would by one with a service plan and I would have a even bigger headache.

Or the 353 would allow you to also get a helmet.
You could also probably find a 50 cc saw used in decent shape.

I think a 3 cube is good for what you need.

Freakingstang

Freakingstang

Doctor Freakinstein
Stang,
You run .325 or 3/8 on your 51 dude??? I'm going with a 3/8 16" bar. This will keep it in suit with my huskies and Stihls at the .050.

3/8" 050 16" bar. I made timed cuts and found the 3/8" faster with the 16" bar against both the .325 8T and .325 9T...

i run the same chain on all my saws for compatability. I can buy a roll and make it fit all of them.

i have on occasion put a 13" 3/8 bar on it for fun. It is wicked fast, but my 13" bar is 058 and I have tried to get rid of all my 058 stuff...

here it is with the shorty....

attachment.php

Last edited:
kw1980

kw1980

First and foremost, I would like to thank all of you for the input on my first post. I knew I would get more replies on saws other than Stihl and Husqvarna, but I am sticking with those two. It sounds like I'm kinda on the low side of cc's, but I'm sticking to my guns-the 353 or ms280 (new). When and if I decide I need a larger saw in the future, it sounds like the 361 is the cat's meow.

Be safe. Happy New Year.
KW1980

ciscoguy01

ciscoguy01

Addicted to ArboristSite

3/8" 050 16" bar. I made timed cuts and found the 3/8" faster with the 16" bar against both the .325 8T and .325 9T...

i run the same chain on all my saws for compatability. I can buy a roll and make it fit all of them.

i have on occasion put a 13" 3/8 bar on it for fun. It is wicked fast, but my 13" bar is 058 and I have tried to get rid of all my 058 stuff...

here it is with the shorty....

attachment.php

Ummmmmm, dude??? That's a Stihl bar you have on your 7900, how's that happening??? :confused:

asb151

asb151

ArboristSite Guru
First and foremost, I would like to thank all of you for the input on my first post. I knew I would get more replies on saws other than Stihl and Husqvarna, but I am sticking with those two. It sounds like I'm kinda on the low side of cc's, but I'm sticking to my guns-the 353 or ms280 (new). When and if I decide I need a larger saw in the future, it sounds like the 361 is the cat's meow.

Be safe. Happy New Year.
KW1980

One thing you will never have to worry about here is a shortage of advice.;)

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
Ahh B.S. :hmm3grin2orange: I used two of them for 6 years. They are great torquey saws and have a home at the firewood pile. It is a little heavy, but for the longest time, that was all I knew in terms of weight. You can get a good used one 2-3 bucks normally around here.
:cheers:

I just had to say it.......:deadhorse:

.....but I agree that it doesn't really matter for use in the yard/woodpile - in the woods is another story.

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

manual

manual

Addicted to ArboristSite

Be safe. Happy New Year.
KW1980

All I can say is Good for you. If the 361 is what you might want in the future ask your Stihl Dealer if he takes trade ins,

Maybe that will help you make your Decision.
Both are good saws.
Let us Know the outcome.

Latest posts