Deck for firewood truck?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmlands

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi there, first post. As a little background, I'm starting up a small, part time firewood business in B.C I'm planning to use the wood on my own land (10 wooded acres), only for myself, and try to pick up deadfall off of FSRs and the like which you are allowed to do around here for my business. What I would like to do here is keep it small and grow it as my four sons become teenagers so that they can learn a few things in the process. Now for the question. I would like to keep my 3/4ton Chev just for business use in my landscaping business and use an old 84 toyota 4x4 for firewood. The box is totally rusty so I would like to dispose of it and weld up a super cool, totally custom tuck bed specifically for firewood, everything from gathering the logs to splitting to eventually dropping off the finished firewood. I'm looking for ideas and pictures on racks, toolboxes, winch location, lifting, etc, anything you can think of. I would like to do this project with my oldest boy who is 9, so teaching him about cutting, welding, hydraulics etc. would be great. I look forward to hearing some of your thoughts and great site.

Welcome to the site. Toys are good trucks, they just can't haul the wieght. Maybe you could get a beater 1 ton dually. I have a 3/4 ton old Chev 4x4 and it can only haul so much. A 1 ton dually can easily haul 2 cords, less trips, less time.

I'd be worried that the old Toyota might not have enough power and brakes for lots of firewood. They will take a beating, but I doubt you could haul more than 1/2 cord MAX without some serious modification. I used to have an 88 4Runner with the 22RE and a 5 speed, and it could take abusive driving and go pretty well in 4wd, it would only go 0 to 60 mph in 17 seconds. Not exactly a powerhouse.

Now if it was a diesel Toyota...then you'd have some torque, and then suspension capacity and brakes would be the big issues. You have to be able to stop and turn the thing. And it's nice to not have the rear axle resting on the frame. Helper springs or heavier leafs (leaves?) could help there, too.

Then again, I use a 4x8 foot no suspension utility trailer and a Subaru wagon to pick up my free firewood.

Good luck with the project, just keep braking capacity, suspension/load capacity and power/torque as serious considerations before you dive in!

Last edited:
Id rethink the notion of using the Toyota as a woodhauler. Its not going to be able to handle the weight that a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton would and what its going to cost you making more trips (both in milage and in time), you might just as well get a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton.
Toyota makes good trucks, but even to this day they dont make a truck that can handle hauling a big load like what the trucks that Ford and GM can.

Do some searches here

Somewhere there are some really neat ideas. One fellow has a splitter built right into the side of his land Rover I believe.. His setup is perfect for the small firewood handler.

Dump Trailer

Why not consider a dump trailer ?? Low cost, low maintenence, no insurance cost and a 3/4 ton can pull a big one.

Why not consider a dump trailer ?? Low cost, low maintenence, no insurance cost and a 3/4 ton can pull a big one.

I have a small dump trailer that most small pickups can pull. It can handle a cord of wet oak without overloading. The trailer has its own brakes, so it helps out the small trucks. It is a 5x8 and I have sides on it so that it is 3' depth.

It cost a lot less than a truck, and it empties a lot easier also.

I'd be worried that the old Toyota might not have enough power and brakes for lots of firewood.

Good luck with the project, just keep braking capacity, suspension/load capacity and power/torque as serious considerations before you dive in!

Agreed. Most trucks will haul more than they will safely stop.

Capacity is another issue. I've looked at firewood as a side business, and even before the gas prices went through the roof, I decided I can't make it pay with a half ton truck.

And I have all the wood I can haul, free for the taking!

Use what you have until something else comes along cheap. I have three boys so I know what you mean. Teach them what you know and I guarantee That you will learn in the process.

I'd second the dump trailer idea. I got one and parked my F800. Saves me about 800 a year on plates and insurance. I had a 91 toy with a 4 banger and a 95 Runner with a six neither had much power except in low. Now I would love to find one for a crummy, lots of posibilities to set one up as a woods machine. Those things will take some severe abuse trust me. With the right tires gears and suspension it might take a pretty good load. Would have as much in it as a decently reliable 1 ton or dump trailer though I'm afraid

The land rover project your speaking of is called the logrover do a search for it, its rather interesting how he built it.

cm, if the back of that Toy. is totally rusted out, how bad is the frame? Be a shame to do loads of work on it, only to have it fail later. Like the others said, I'd look for something heavier.

I am a firm believer in that you cannot have to many 4x4’s. The Toyota is great for maneuvering back into where the logs are at, but as stated many times the brakes are not built for hauling heavy loads even with add a leafs ect. Upgrading to a ½ ton from a Toyota is like pissing in the wind. For a second truck take the jump to at least a ¾ ton, if not a 1 ton where you have brakes that were designed to stop a load. Nothing like pucker power when coming down the mountain with a load of wood on a Toyota when you find out that the brakes are smoking hot and you have a long way to the bottom. (Been there done that) Build an old beater 1 ton into a firewood truck and it will seem like there is no load to big, and yes it will off set the cost of fuel in the amount that it will haul. Use the Toyota to make small deliveries, and general running around in the woods looking for the big loads.

Hi there, first post. As a little background, I'm starting up a small, part time firewood business in B.C I'm planning to use the wood on my own land (10 wooded acres), only for myself, and try to pick up deadfall off of FSRs and the like which you are allowed to do around here for my business. What I would like to do here is keep it small and grow it as my four sons become teenagers so that they can learn a few things in the process. Now for the question. I would like to keep my 3/4ton Chev just for business use in my landscaping business and use an old 84 Toyota 4x4 for firewood. The box is totally rusty so I would like to dispose of it and weld up a super cool, totally custom tuck bed specifically for firewood, everything from gathering the logs to splitting to eventually dropping off the finished firewood. I'm looking for ideas and pictures on racks, toolboxes, winch location, lifting, etc, anything you can think of. I would like to do this project with my oldest boy who is 9, so teaching him about cutting, welding, hydraulics etc. would be great. I look forward to hearing some of your thoughts and great site.
A few questions need to be answered here. How far are you planing to haul your fire wood, to your place, and to deliver it? If I deliver fire wood around a 15, or 20 mile radius, or pickup wood that i cut within the same radius, I use a tractor, and an old manure spreader, that is modified.
The modifications are quit simple to do, and use. First step. A decent sized manure spreader is cheap. One with a box that is 4 to 5 feet wide, and 14 to 16 feet long. These old spreaders run from $50.00 to $200.00 in price.
$50.00 spreaders, are easy to come by. If you happen to go by a farm, and if you see one that has been sitting for a while, go and ask if it is for sale. Ones above $50.00, can be picked up at auction sales.
First step is to remove, and scrap the rear beaters. Second step is to check the floor, to see if it is decent, or needs replacing. If the floor is OK, tighten up the slack of the unloading apron. Make sure that both sides are equal in length.
You can build any type of rack extenders, for any height. I built mine that are 4 ft high. I followed the top angle of the extenders of the spreader. I removed the metal portion, and extended out 12", I then put an upright 12" . It looks like two 45 degree angles reversed from one another.
I then hook up the drive shaft to the PTO, and put it into gear, You might have to play with the controls of the spreader, to get the apron to work. after that leave the controls alone for the spreader.
The apron now becomes something like a walking floor, that self unloads. I always use my old spreader to haul the wood out of the bush. With my set up, I can haul 2 1/2 to 3 Bush cords of fire wood, at a time. At he back of the spreader, where the beaters used to be, I pile a row of fire wood across the back of it. I then use the loader tractor to carry the fire wood to the spreader, and dump it into the spreader.
When I haul it out of the bush for myself, or for delivery, It becomes easy to unload. I stand on the ground at the back of the spreader, throw the wood off, until I can no longer reach it. I put the Power Take Off on the tractor into gear, and let the spreaders apron bring the wood to the back of the spreader. When the wood gets to the back of the spreader, I throw it off again until I can no longer reach the fire wood.
I keep doing this, until the whole load is off the spreader. I never have to climb into the spreader for unloading. I just stand at the back, and throw it off. Saves on the back, knees, everything. I even use this spreader for picking stones off the field. I do not put a very big load on the spreader, because the apron could break. I haul scrap metal to the scrap yard, and I also haul our garbage to the landfill site with it. Just put it into gear, and drive ahead, stopping, and starting the tractor while the spreader apron pushes the trash off.
Have been doing this for a lot of years. its a work saver. can be used for many types of work. At cheaper than a dump trailer. If you don't have a tractor. no problem, just mount a gas engine onto the PTO shaft, and pull it with your truck.
Hope this helps. Bruce.

Thanks for all the responses. Bruce, I do have a tractor and that sounds like a great idea, very innovative. Would there be a possibility to take a couple of pictures of the rear of that spreader? I get the basic idea, but sometimes a picture can clarify a few of the details.

Thanks for all the responses. Bruce, I do have a tractor and that sounds like a great idea, very innovative. Would there be a possibility to take a couple of pictures of the rear of that spreader? I get the basic idea, but sometimes a picture can clarify a few of the details.

I sure can take a couple of pictures of my old manure spreader turned into a self unloading wood hauler. When I was a kid, back in the late 70's, early 80's, My Father being an avid Hunter, for fox, and coyote in Central Ontario, he came across an old manure spreader, that was sitting in a farmers bush, in early winter.
My Father new the farmer, quite well, because he was one of my Dad's, of his Plumbing, and Heating Business. The farmer wanted $50.00, for it. The snow wasn't deep, so the farmer pulled it up to the buildings for Dad.
So Dad brought it home.
In the spring before seeding, Dad took out the manure spreader's beaters, fixed up the apron, put in a couple of floor boards, and some higher extensions on the sides, for hauling wood out of the bush. A full load was 1 bush cord.
We used that spreader for a long time. It was great for picking stones, as well. The only problem with stones, the odd one would get under the slats of the apron, unless somebody stood at the front of the stones, to hold down the apron. Other than that, it worked really nice for both jobs.
I had to replace that old spreader 4 years ago, because the old gear box was shot. I now have a bigger spreader, that holds 3 Bush cords of wood.
If somebody would be kind enough to send me an email, step by step instructions, how to email pictures to this website. Thanks. Bruce.

Latest posts

Back