Deer prevention. Any simple ideas?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
orange snow fence set back from the truck far enough that they can't reach the branches. Irish Spring soap has some repellent factors as well. You can also go to the garden center and buy deer repellent, not sure how effective it is though.

I have a few silver maple trees that are about 3 years old that I transplanted this spring. They are doing good but the taller one is apparently the perfect height, for I'm assuming a deer to eat. I've used that deer screen stuff before and had some luck but it seems to rip easily.

Any simple ideas?
Hungry Bow-hunters:innocent:

Part 2:
Oldest grandson was about 11 YO.

Roadkill # 3.

Let him dig the hole with our backhoe, 6 ft deep, dropped in the deer.
"Josh, ya want to see what the insides look like"
'OK"
"Drop the back side of the bucket on it"
Insides mostly came out the back end, kinda grossed poor Josh out a bit.

Surprised me too, thought the skin would split, pretty good tensile strength for most the inners to extrude out the back end.
That child is probably damaged for life. Bad grandpa!!!:dizzy:

Do you live in a rural area, or in a populated area?
Can't believe they won't pick up a dead deer, and then tell you how to dispose of it! Crazy!:confused:
I'd say what happens in my backyard, stays in my backyard.:D

Part 3:
Coyote story. Cold December week.
Saw what I though was a discarded brown cardboard box laying partly in our pond and in blackberry bushes after a windstorm, did not go to pick it up until next day - thought it was box that had blown into the yard.
Next day: NOT a cardboard box, all that was there now was the back 1/2 of a deer, pretty chewed up, looked like the whole head and front quarter had been drug off.
3rd day: Grand-daughter over "ya want to see what back half of a deer looks like" = "OK" says she
we go around the pond, nothing left except a few tufts of hair -- hooves, every bone, everything gone.
Got a good happy well fed coyote serenade that night also <G>

Part 4, old thread:
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/deer-and-chainsaws.293408/
I repeat: Bad grandpa!!! o_O
What's grandma have to say about these gross adventures?

I have a permanent dead spot in the grass from the dogs I'm not about to piss on the tree lol.

I'm trying to preserve my privacy because I agree what I do in my yard stays in my yard and no one can see unless they are very brave. I do have this useless plot of lawn out by the road though where these trees are planted.

I eat meat every day and I am ok with that but that being said I won't kill anything unless I plan to use it. I don't cut green trees unless I have to and I don't kill animals, besides rodents, that I won't use. I don't plan on letting my son kill anything until he's old enough to understand what's going on. I'm not some crazy liberal I just have respect for the circle of life and not being selfish.

I eat meat every day and I am ok with that but that being said I won't kill anything unless I plan to use it. I don't cut green trees unless I have to and I don't kill animals, besides rodents, that I won't use. I don't plan on letting my son kill anything until he's old enough to understand what's going on. I'm not some crazy liberal I just have respect for the circle of life and not being selfish.
Good philosophy.
I just have way too much empathy and can't bare the thought of anything suffering. I even feel guilty after killing a bug, for crying out loud! :wtf:
If I thought about it for too long, I'd probably starve to death.:rolleyes:

I hate killing stuff but if I get a deer during season, that's a bunch of food to feed the family. I'm surrounded by farms and personally I think dairy farms are awful the cows can't move. But kill an animal that was free and didn't suffer and was used to survive allows me to be ok with it.

I'm a bit more interactive than you guys. :laugh: I actively enforce my vermin policies to help mold the population towards what I think would be better for me.

While I really hate the thought of harming anyone's pet, I'm not going to allow them to free-range and harass my fawning deer. If you loved them, you'd protect them and keep them from doing bad things in hostile environments. Plus, we have a major feral dog problem from people who bring them out to the country to let them loose instead of paying the $35 to surrender them at the shelter. Those dogs pack up and run hell on the native critters, and I won't stand for it. They've also charged me once while I was snowshoeing deep inside my 80. I made the noob land owner mistake of a warning shot - could've been down one vermin with that bullet instead, but I didn't fully understand the scope of the issue in 2012. Our Conservation Officer calls any canine which isn't a wolf a "nice coyote", that's his code for "feral dog, you should shoot it if the opportunity presents itself". Even so, we've had a big sow bear in the neighborhood the last couple years, and she's been dealing with the dogs nicely.

I'm not a big fan of killing deer (I think they're neat creatures and our population is a bit lower than I'd desire), but I've come to love the taste and my kid isn't ready to start doing the wet work for me yet. Just because you're an alpha predator, doesn't mean you have to like it. :yes:

In the case of an animal attacking or charging me I'm putting it down. I was saying in the situation of my deer issue I'm not shooting it for eating lol. I have a fence around the garden to keep the rabbits out. I welcome the deer to stay around but they always leave right before hunting season. Lol

Piss in a bucket. Sprinkle the urine around the base of the tree. Just a little. Tht is the only thing that worked for me. Also can use tree tubes.

Might backfire during the fall, we use this method to refresh buck scrapes. The bucks aren't scared by it and will come right in looking to defend their territory, paw up the ground and start making rubs in the area.

Yep, I pee all over the trees out by my barn, does not seem to deter these here citified half tame deer nowadays.

Coyote piss might work this time of year if you're dealing with does with fawns.

People piss - my deer couldn't care less about my being there, much less taking a wiz on a tree.

Back