Delete Cylinder Gasket on 046 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And you did use a good gasket sealer (Moto Seal?) when you assembled, correct? And it starts and runs OK, correct? If so, that's a great job. How dd you get that cylinder's base dead flat with the saw's case?
I used some red stuff I got from Fastenal, did not do anything to cylinder or base, starts and runs like a champ. 2003 036 Pro

And you did use a good gasket sealer (Moto Seal?) when you assembled, correct? And it starts and runs OK, correct? If so, that's a great job. How dd you get that cylinder's base dead flat with the saw's case?
Yes Moto Seal. I used double sided tape on a flat stone surface to hold the 220 grit. I was hold the jug and sand bolt he corner to bolt hole corner for 4 passes the rotate 90°, the for more passes. In 4 spot all measurements were within .010" to the squish band just like when I started.

Do I need to do anything about that hole other than not put Moto Seal on. The inside of it?
20210117_192637.jpg

Yes Moto Seal. I used double sided tape on a flat stone surface to hold the 220 grit. I was hold the jug and sand bolt he corner to bolt hole corner for 4 passes the rotate 90°, the for more passes. In 4 spot all measurements were within .010" to the squish band just like when I started.

Do I need to do anything about that hole other than not put Moto Seal on. The inside of it?
View attachment 882997
I believe that's just a blind hole and goes nowhere. I'd just asume it wasn't there.

I believe that's just a blind hole and goes nowhere. I'd just assume it wasn't there.
Yes. That's what I have come to believe also.
Now I'm at a stand still on the saw. I dropped the wrisk pin retainer for the third time. This time it went flying across the room somewhere.
I'm not looking for it anymore. I'm going to town and see if I can find the type that I can install with retaining ring pliers.

Yes. That's what I have come to believe also.
Now I'm at a stand still on the saw. I dropped the wrisk pin retainer for the third time. This time it went flying across the room somewhere.
I'm not looking for it anymore. I'm going to town and see if I can find the type that I can install with retaining ring pliers.
Your Stihl dealer should have them. Part number is 9463 650 1200 --> snap ring 12 x 1.

Stihl had a extra thick gasket for lower compression for that saw, that’s probably why it was so thick
Maybe so. Thanks.
Yes, the .8 mm thick gasket was an option to the .3 mm. Some wanted the thicker gasket so that the decomp valve was not needed. Back then the decomp valve was a rather new invention.
Thanks. Interesting. It will be a chore to pull it now.
It felt plenty strong to pull before I started working on it, and the compression puzzled me being 105 psi.
It ran fine and started very good at that pressure.

One word of caution based on what happened to my 046 that I bought as a non-runner. It ran so well after I rebuilt it that I made the mistake of loaning it out the following year. The guy who borrowed it never gave it back to me. Dag Gum it!

One word of caution based on what happened to my 046 that I bought as a non-runner. It ran so well after I rebuilt it that I made the mistake of loaning it out the following year. The guy who borrowed it never gave it back to me. Dag Gum it!
I only had one neighbor that I would load something to with a engine. He would have it back (In great condition) the same day most of the time. He is in a better place now.

The Motoseal took up more space than I thought it would. Squish is now 0.0305 - 0.0330. I checked it in 3 spots. The compression went from 105 before to 120 psi.
I don't understand that. It's very hard to pull.

Yes, the .8 mm thick gasket was an option to the .3 mm. Some wanted the thicker gasket so that the decomp valve was not needed. Back then the decomp valve was a rather new invention.
I thought so because I remember some guys couldn’t pull them over

Latest posts

Back