Did I make a mistake?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also have a 25" bar for my 390 It seems to take forever to get thru a cut,I guess if you like working in slow motion its great!That why I don't use it!I will stick w/ 18" bar for speed,maybe its a little faster. The 361 might be better but not by much looking at all the specs? maybe a little lighter than the 390 for the wanna be woodcutters! just my opinion , I got a 441 w/18"bar. this week now this is an awesome saw! makes the 390 seem like a (kids) toy! although a little heavy it cuts thru logs like butter with lightnin speed,gets it done fast! very fast! saves alot of time, I will take the extra weight for lightnin speed everyday,I will just use the 390 for limbing after trees are felled only because its such a slow poke. I have felled and bucked more in two days than I could with the 390 in five days! now thats the pace I like to work! I only use RSC chains on my saws! If you want something done just do it yourself !!! thanks stihl for a great product:clap:

First post. Yippee!

I very recently purchased a Sthil MS 390, and now I'm wondering if I made a mistake. I was looking long and hard at the MS 361, but talked myself out of it for some dumb reason.

Now that I've done a bit of reading about the 390, I have a sinking feeling in my gut that my purchase was "uneducated"

Because I work out of town and had to leave the next morning after acquiring the saw, all the new saw has done is gone on a ride from the dealer to my garage. Never started, barely even looked at.

I'm going to call the dealer on Monday to find out about a return or exchange. Hopefully they will be understanding since they tried to sell me a MS 361 in the first place.

Any advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

-Joe

No doubt the 361 is a better saw than the 390. But the 390 is a good saw.

There is always a bigger or better saw (or truck, or gun, or what ever). Decide what YOU need, and go for it.

Every one here has an opinion. Most every one is very knowlegable. Some with more advanced CAD are constantly seeking more, or bigger or better. This is not a bad thing, just the way it is.

This is a great place to be. Welcome

:greenchainsaw:

I also have a 25" bar for my 390 It seems to take forever to get thru a cut,I guess if you like working in slow motion its great!That why I don't use it!I will stick w/ 18" bar for speed,maybe its a little faster. The 361 might be better but not by much looking at all the specs? maybe a little lighter than the 390 for the wanna be woodcutters! just my opinion , I got a 441 w/18"bar. this week now this is an awesome saw! makes the 390 seem like a (kids) toy! although a little heavy it cuts thru logs like butter with lightnin speed,gets it done fast! very fast! saves alot of time, I will take the extra weight for lightnin speed everyday,I will just use the 390 for limbing after trees are felled only because its such a slow poke. I have felled and bucked more in two days than I could with the 390 in five days! now thats the pace I like to work! I only use RSC chains on my saws! If you want something done just do it yourself !!! thanks stihl for a great product:clap:

MM that 390 nice and wide, and you will be suprised how close it is to the 441.

I hope you guys are right. The fuel in the saw is what the dealer put in it. As I said before, I haven't started it. I'm out of town for work and it won't be used at all.

FWIW, I'm a believer in the philosophy that all tools cost the same. Example: you buy cheap tool ten times, average tool five times, and good tool once. The only reason I talked myself out of the 361 was the thought of keeping the wife happy. But last night she asked me why I didn't get the pro saw, and was quite dismayed with my response. Apparently after eight years of marriage, she finally understands my thinking. Also, I won't be satisfied until I get the saw I should have bought in the first place. It was a poor decision on my part to compromise my purchase.

Will let you guys know what happens tomorrow when I call the dealer.

You have a great saw and a VERY SPECIAL wife! Glad to hear this turned out well for you. That bar will be just fine too.

You have a great saw and a VERY SPECIAL wife! Glad to hear this turned out well for you. That bar will be just fine too.

I agree that I have a very special wife. If you noticed in an earlier post, she did the exchange for me too! I'm a lucky man!!:clap: :clap:

well Joe how do you like the 361??? I had a problem with my 390 it seems to be binding up, we are going to tear it down next week, so I bought a 362 today just for laughs and giggles? I like the way it sounds?I haven't got to use it yet! Sounds like my 441! what happened with the 361 saw they took it off the market because of emission problems and replaced it with a 362?

well Joe how do you like the 361??? I had a problem with my 390 it seems to be binding up, we are going to tear it down next week, so I bought a 362 today just for laughs and giggles? I like the way it sounds?I haven't got to use it yet! Sounds like my 441! what happened with the 361 saw they took it off the market because of emission problems and replaced it with a 362?

Congrats on the 362!

I don't know how much I like my 361 because I'm still out of town for work:cry: Eight more days, and I'm gonna take that sucker fer a test drive!! :chainsaw: I'm looking forward to it:)

I was Bs'ing with the local landscaper, He is doing alot of tree jobs. He said he wanted a saw with big bar that will cut through the large wood without slowing down. He offered to buy a saw from me but my Cad kicked in and I didn't want to sell one yet. Well he went to the local dealer and came back with a 362 with a 25" bar. Very nice saw. I'm just wondering if he will be happy. I have a spare 660 i'm building. If he wasn't happy i'd offer a trade.

Only time will tell? I haven't used mine yet? it sounds awesome,I have been splitting maybe 10 cords or so this week as time permits! I should be up around 27 cords for next years stash by the end of this week, I have maybe 6 cords down in the woods from last October November I will buck up, let you know I like the 362 with the 18" bar,I also have 20",25" bars that I can interchange with the 441. The 660 sounds like a really good saw looking at the specs for it, lots of power!

MS361 has great fuel mileage also. Especially compared to the pigs 066/MS660 which I enjoy.

Of all Stihl's best, the MS361 and the MS440 are the Legends, now that production stopped. Personally I like the "E" bars from Stihl, saves weight and improves balance.

MS362 and MS441 are good saws, just new school, Strato design, EPA friendly and here to stay. Plus heavier. Plenty of time to buy one of those.
Get the great pre-EPA saws while you can.

Anxious to hear how you like your new saw.

Congratulations.

I'm liking all of this positive feedback. I'm now sure that the exchange for the 361 was a wise one.:biggrinbounce2:

if treated right, the 361 will last you a lifetime.
the 390 would have only lasted you 53/67 of a lifetime.

enjoy your new saw when you get home.

Wasilla.... where do I know that place from?

if treated right, the 361 will last you a lifetime.
the 390 would have only lasted you 53/67 of a lifetime.

enjoy your new saw when you get home.

Wasilla.... where do I know that place from?

Thanks!

BTW, the expected life expectancy of the 390, 53/67, very funny.:laugh::laugh:

Wasilla, No you can't see Russia from my house:jester:

I have a 390 and its been good to me. You will enjoy yours. My buddy had a 310, same family, just a little less displacement. His was used 9 months out of the year 4-5 days a week for about six years with no problems. Not saying this is the norm, but you won't have any trouble with yours.

I know...I was giving him a hard time...

Commence....

I know what's good for me. I pulled out a few saws I have not ran for a while for a few trees this week. Man, I felt crippled. My 390 is wood eating sob. I can back bar a face in so easy from the tree to my right it's not even funny. That's always a good test for me, to see how much torque a saw really has. Mr. J knows what I'm talking about. Back baring can be dangerous, but it can be done properly. It keeps you clean and makes killer rooster tails. :cheers:

Back