Did I take it in the shorts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redprospector

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've been in the process of changing over to Stihl for my work saws. I stopped into a pawn shop this evening and looked at their saws. They had an 046 and a ms440 that were both in pretty good shape. They both start easily and run out good (havn't put them to the wood yet though), it appears that all either of them needs is a new chain. After much cussin' and discussin' I bought them both for $200 each.
I've never been a big Stihl guy. How'd I do?

Andy

You did damn good! Slap a new chain on there and go cut some wood! 440 in my opinion is the best Power-to-weight ratio saw out there!

I figured I did pretty good on the 440, but I wasn't sure about the 046. I figure they're getting to be pretty old (anything that starts with an 0 instead of ms). Years ago I had an 044 and I liked it pretty good. I'll check them out a little better tomorrow and put new chains on them and let a couple of guy's on my crew try them out. If there's anything wrong with them they'll find it quick.

Andy

A little update.
The 440 seems to be a real good runner, and has put in 2 days of cutting with 0 problems.
The 046 turned out to be an MS 460. Which is a good thing........I think. It hasn't ran quite as flawlessly as the 440, but it could be partly the guy running it.
It started flooding real bad today and wouldn't run. I gave the cutter a back up saw and tried to figure it out. I cleaned the tank vent, and messed with the carb, seems to be doing ok now, but I may have to get a carb kit for it.

Andy

Good deal ya got there, they are both smokin' saws and as tough as anything out there. Kit the 460 and check the rubber. Been building up a 460 myself.... gettin' close.

I have called your local Police Department and reported you for stealing those saws.........

200 bucks each was a great deal. Good running 440 will bring at least twice that on Ebay. You could probably pick your favorite, sell the other and end up with a free saw out of this deal.

Ok, I know, I know. Without pix it didn't happen.

Here they are on the ride home from work. The 7900 should be for sale before long.
MiscPhonepixGentiles048.jpg

Here's the 440
MiscPhonepixGentiles046.jpg

Here's the 460
MiscPhonepixGentiles044.jpg

Here's the new 460 I bought a couple of weeks ago.
MiscPhonepixGentiles043.jpg

Andy

If you really need somewhere to send that outcast dolmar I might have a place to hide it out. You made out real good on those 2 used ones.

If you really need somewhere to send that outcast dolmar I might have a place to hide it out. You made out real good on those 2 used ones.

Hahaha. I'll let you know when I'm ready to wean the Dolmar.
I think I did pretty good on the new one too, but it hurt a lot worse.

Andy

I'm sure the new one did hurt a little more but sometimes it's nice to get a new shiny saw. Glad to see you posting again around here. You been real busy this spring?

Back