Did Stihl change their bar oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midwest_170

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The stihl bar oil I recently bought seems very thin. It reminds me of the winter blend stuff but I double checked the jug and its stihl bar oil. I buy oil in large quantities but not very often and the stuff I had prior would barley come out of the jug if temps were in the 20s or lower, but this stuff runs out faster that 75W gear lube.

Is Stihl oil reasonable in price? Here it's almost $20/gal. I use the Poulan oil from Walmart, it's about $9/gal. Just mix in a cup or two of diesel for winterm

I do not know if they have changed their formula for the bar oil, but they have become more competitive with their pricing. Currently the gallon jugs of platinum or winter oil are list price of $15.49. It was $19.95 not too long ago.

It seems as if Stihl is attempting to gain a better market share of their products. First the big drop in parts, then it seems some consumables have had price reductions.

With so many box stores around now, it seems inevitable that economies of scale are changing for some of the big players in any product category. In a small state like CT we now have 12 ? Tractor Supplies. There are still plenty of farms here, but most farmers are not going to TS, it's homeowners looking for the " farmer experience". Once you have them in the store, they wonder around, but things they don't need. What keeps them coming back? the experience usually.

Like any business, it costs a lot to get a customer in the door, at that point you want to keep them coming back time after time. I have noticed a big difference in 2 small local Stihl dealers recently, they have really stepped up their game. I have a big, local lumber supply yard that is about a mile away, hated going there, horrible customer service. In the last year they made some changes to staff and it is a completely different experience. They get all my business now.

The retail world is continuing to change daily, how many companies will be left is unknown, but the ones that have adjusted their business models will probably be at the top of the heap.

And yes, all that insight over chainsaw bar oil, lol.

STIHL Dealers around here now sell 2 types of Chainsaw Bar Oil: The Orange Jug 'Woodland' (not sure about the name), and the Silver Jug (Platinum). Priced the same. My 362C is more compatible with the Platinum Oil. Why ?; because the bar and chain are much cooler using this oil. The Orange jug oil allows my 18" bar to run too hot.

Is Stihl oil reasonable in price? Here it's almost $20/gal. I use the Poulan oil from Walmart, it's about $9/gal. Just mix in a cup or two of diesel for winterm

Tried that stuff and it ruined a bar after a few gallons. I've been using the tacky stihl oil ever since with no problems. The stihl oil seems to be a lot more sticky and holds to the bar and chain better, the other oils seem to just fly off the tip of the bar. The bar I'm running now has wore out 4 chains and I have even had a bur starting on the bar yet. The oil I got in the stihl jug last time seems to be more like the cheaper brands.

Tried that stuff and it ruined a bar after a few gallons. I've been using the tacky stihl oil ever since with no problems. The stihl oil seems to be a lot more sticky and holds to the bar and chain better, the other oils seem to just fly off the tip of the bar. The bar I'm running now has wore out 4 chains and I have even had a bur starting on the bar yet. The oil I got in the stihl jug last time seems to be more like the cheaper brands.

Something else must have been wrong. We use it on all the saws (run about 10 different saws... Stihl, Poulan Pro, Husqvarna, Jonsered, Efco in bars from 14" to 28") and one processor which has almost 8000hrs and the stroke delimber topping saw. Never had any problems other than it's a bit thick when cold.

Nearly all the bar oiling issues I've come across is from customers that insist on running nasty "slurry" waste oil. Usually ends up clogging or killing the pump plus makes a nasty mess.

THese newer saws; well, my STIHL 362C that is, is stingy about dishing out bar oil, that's why I'm now using their Platinum brand. THe other oils, which I've always used in the past with all my older saws, are just too thick for my satisfaction. I don't like the idea of a heated up high dollar saw bar.

Haven't noticed any changes in stihl oil, don't buy it every time tho. Don't notice much difference in bar temps with different oils. Have my oiler maxed out so it slings plenty of oil.

:yes: My Dealer only had qts of the Platinum Oil, so he sold me 4 for the price of the gallon jug of Woodcutter, which I think was 18 or 19 dollars, not sure on that.
Platinum.jpg
STIHL Woodcutter bar oil.jpg

I hope you all use some of that oil when you bend over to buy it for that price !!! hahahhahahha

I thought I'd gone crazy!!! I'm glad you posted this, I just got 6 gallons of the orange and it's honestly as thin as cooking oil!!! I thought the same thing. Either they have changed on purpose or they had a bad run, either way I can assure you this stuff won't work in the summer, and theirs going to be a lot of burned up bars!!!

I've been using Dohlmar oil. Seems to be as sticky/stringy as the old Stihl oil and is a hair cheaper. I may give the Platinum oil a shot just to see the difference. Like someone else stated, for all the more you use, why go cheap? If I spent $60/year on bar oil, that's less than $2/cord. I can afford that, especially if it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling about my bar and chain.

Latest posts

Back