Did this MS 660 Crank Get Too Hot?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the scoring in the case was caused from the rod rubbing it when the bearing failed.

is the saw stock or ported?

side loading could be the cause, but rare in stock saws. if there is a lot of wear on one side of the of the piston or the pin bosses inside the piston, it's likely the cause.

The saw looks bone stock, all oem marked parts. No port work on the cylinder.

is it a oem or aftermarket crank?

I strongly recommend an oem crank

The trashed crank is Stihl. The one I just bought is Stihl.

The saw looks bone stock, all oem marked parts. No port work on the cylinder.

The trashed crank is Stihl. The one I just bought is Stihl.

Is the big end bearing crispy or in pieces? I’m curious to see it. I pulled a brand new short block apart from a dealer that had the same markings

Sounds good.

I have both crank bearings off and there is some some noticable slop in both after cleaning with carb spray. But the bearings look intact and are not discolored. They will spin on my finger but I can feel roughness.
20181210_135016.jpg 20181210_135040.jpg 20181210_135129.jpg 20181210_135138.jpg

Now, the rod bearing is toast. I can see displaced metal between the rod and crank.
20181210_135405.jpg 20181210_135529.jpg

I have both crank bearings off and there is some some noticable slop in both after cleaning with carb spray. But the bearings look intact and are not discolored. They will spin on my finger but I can feel roughness.
View attachment 689483 View attachment 689484 View attachment 689485 View attachment 689486

Now, the rod bearing is toast. I can see displaced metal between the rod and crank.
View attachment 689487 View attachment 689488

It sure did explode. I’d say it coming apart was the last straw. Surprised there’s not more damage after seeing that

Loggers around here burn out MS 660's like they were Wild Things. So, they give up on them and buy MS 661's. Then they burn those out at about the same rate after paying $400 more. Somehow they don't complain about the 661 as much as the 660, even though they lost another $400 more. I guess money means nothing to a logger. Their next cold Lite beer means more to them.

This rebuild looks a lot like the one I restored last year. The original piston skirt slapped out chunks of the case while tearing itself apart. It runs fine today. I was able to get 154 psi. compression cold. It's a good project.

Nice to be able to bring them back from the brink. I have never rebuilt one, only built up 2 new Hutzl kit saws.

I left the cylinder stock but I will check squish tomorrow as I used a stock metal gasket. It turns over smooth. Can't wait to see how it runs.

It is alive and it sounds great. Probably needs the H/L and idle adjusted but it runs strong. Set the coil gap, new NGK plug and it fired after a few pulls. I'm waiting on the chain cover I ordered so I'll adjust it once it is complete.
20181212_113830.jpg

Hooray! And, I may try to match you one-on-one with a few Pics. But, I think you have me beaten. I had to do a little machining on the plastic cover that surrounds the clutch and chain brake spring. No big deal. I have a feeling your saw is going to run just as well as mine does.

When I was finished, I had very few parts left over from the original saw. Threewood, it's a great hobby. I am sure you will agree.

And video. I pulled the limiter caps to adjust, removed the tabs and re-installed. I am not a pro saw tuner so let me know if it still needs work. It idles around 3250rpm, chain does not move. Low idle was set to high rpm minus 1/4, high was set to 13,000 +/- rpms

Back