Didier log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

recliner

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Didier Log splitter and I think the model # is MF38. The cylinder stroke is 36" and it has a 5HP Briggs engine. The cylinder is leaking very bad. I have disassembled the hydraulic cylinder and the O-rings and seals are bad. Does anyone know where I can purchase the correct parts to repair the cylinder?

Any place around you that deals with farm tractors or heavy equipment should have a source for that type of parts. If you are looking to get the parts yourself, you will need more info, like make and model of ram. Whoops - scratch model. I see have already done that homework.

The last time I had the cyl. rebuilt on my old Didier it went to a hydraulic repair shop. Instead of o-rings they used the newer design lip type gland seals.
So far (10 years) its lasted longer than any previous rebuild and doesn't leak a drop. Can't recall the price, but it was reasonable and I didn't have to mess with getting the damned thing apart.

Ed

Thanks
We have a Northern Tool and equipment close by. I will also check with the local tractor dealer.

Your local tractor dealer would be your best bet. Is there any independant tractor repair shops in your area? That is where I would go. Take the old orings in and let them match them up. We do that all the time for customers at work.

Well the guys at Northern didn't have a clue what a Didier log splitter was. We have a small tractor repair shop close by and I will try him next. I know where a hydraulic repair shop is also and I will see if they can help.

Bring the cylinder with you to a hydraulic shop and just ask for the seals and wiper. If it's already apart the items will be right there for them to measure. I just rebuilt a dider and did the same thing. About 25 bucks, worked great.

Guys
Thanks for the help. I finally found a guy that rebuilds hyd cylinders and he only charged 25 bucks and it works great. Back to wood splitting again.

Thanks

I brought the entire splitter to a neighbor who does hydraulic repair.
He changed all the seals,filter, flushed and replaced the fluid for $150
Told me the original engine was old and weak (like me)
Bought a Harbor Freight engine
Has been working well since

I brought the entire splitter to a neighbor who does hydraulic repair.
He changed all the seals,filter, flushed and replaced the fluid for $150
Told me the original engine was old and weak (like me)
Bought a Harbor Freight engine
Has been working well since

That is not all that high considering he did a lot more than just rebuild the cylinder. Labor rates what they are, I think it wasn't out of line. The new fluids, filters and seals had to run him almost half of that. You could have spent a lot more at another place.

Didier Splitter

I. working on a customers Didier Panther 1 Log Splitter. Had to replace OLD B&S 5hp. engine that was shot. Used Harbor Freight 6.5 hp engine. bolted up without a hitch, and only have to have the engine a little over idle to split big logs, as I had to have the Briggs screaming to do the same.

Overall A GOOD little and OLD splitter. Does anybody have a Copy of the owners/parts, manual with specs.? Not sure of the spec for the pump or how many ton this unit is considered. Had to repair some leaks at the hose fittings(found them without any sealant and loose). Is this a common problem? I read about the cylinder being a issue(small leak with this one.)

I would APPRECIATE any help with locating repair/parts, info on this machine.

Thanks, Charlie.

Latest posts

Back