Didier make over

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, we put my new/old Didier through the paces today. Did up about a cord of wood but sure could have done more if my 4x6 trailer and rider were available. Rider is tied up with a snowblower attachment right now.

I've got a ton of pics and a couple of video's to share - stay tuned - they should be showing in an hour or so depending on my editing skills. :)

Shari

Okay - got a couple of pics for you of my Didier doin' the job.

Here's a 23" round.

First - the new lift:

100_0152.jpg

Second - doin' the job:

100_0155.jpg

Shari

Today's 'wood catcher':

100_0132.jpg

Early results (clearing her throat: I didn't stack this.... um, I did go back with the maul and tap the pieces into place a little better.):) :

100_0133.jpg

Be the end of the day, we had this area filled with splits also:

100_0134.jpg

Shari

Nice setup, Shari. I really like the way the outfeed table is the same height as the sides of the wagon.

Makes it easy to take a load to the cribs and stack it nice and neat one time rather than making a pile, moving it all a second time to the cribs and then handling it a third time to stack it.

Tony

Tony,

You are right about the 'handling' that goes on. Hopefully we have eliminated at least a couple of steps with this new setup. The main thing is I don't have to heft the rounds up to the beam and balance them there while splitting. Hickory can really bite you a LOT when you do that balancing act on the beam!

I'm uploading a couple of videos right now... I'll be back in a couple of minutes.

Shari

It sure takes a long time to upload a video.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5vzfFOrUjAs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7OSzApEeivc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Shari

Last edited:
Looks like everything works slick Shari! My "little" splitter needs a lift kit as well. Gettin to the point in life where being bent over all the time makes the next day miserable.

Do me a favor, though. Teach your helpers to handle the wood by the sides while splitting. When hands are on the ends, especially if there's more than two of em working, it's a good way to get a nickname like "Lefty". That's the first rule Dad preached to me thirtyish years ago, and the one I still use today when I have help over.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8_8PxOKCU9Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Had cabin fever this winter. Needed a challange to keep the mind active. Talked Shari ( Wife'nHubby ) into donating her splitter for a make-over challange.
Tomarrow it will get returned for testing.

Great thing you did for Shari (Wife n' Hubby) rep sent..will get Shari later. Would not let me rep her them right now.:msp_sad:

slider rail parts

Had cabin fever this winter. Needed a challange to keep the mind active. Talked Shari ( Wife'nHubby ) into donating her splitter for a make-over challange.
Tomarrow it will get returned for testing.

Looking for slider rails for a didier do they have to be brass?does the flat piece of the ram have to be loose or does it have to be tight on the ram ?as i hVE HD MINE SO LONG THAT I CANT REMEMBER HOW IT WAS WHEN IT WAS NEW OOPS sorry about the caps was not looking

Well, my Didier is all put in storage for the winter so I can't get out there to take a look right now but going on memory it's not brass, it is a bit loose and I think it is grade 8 bolts. My push plate wiggles a bit side-to-side when traveling down the beam - if that's due to age or design I can't say.

Shari

The "shoe" is typically not tight to the beam. There should be a bit of play. If your machine has wear plates between the shoe and the beam and you find too much up/down play, you could always shim it with thin gauge washers or pull the shims out a find a replacement piece. Also consider hobby stores that sell thin sheets of brass/copper, etc for the shim.

Back