Didier splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didier log spitter

Hi i have an original 1972 didier panther great machine. What im looking for is the couplings that go on the engine shaft and the pump shaft, the teeth are broke on mine and the rubber insert is gone. Any help would be great

brian I THINK I POSTED TO SOMEONE ELSE SIGHT I CANT FIND WHERE I CAN START MY OWN POST HAVENT POSTED VERY OFTEN

Last edited:
couplings

Barmason, those couplings are readily available at Tractor Supply Co. or Northern Tool and Supply. I replaced an engine on mine. It had a different size shaft than the old one. Just take your couplings to TSCo. or measure them and look them up online. They are about $7. for each piece, plus your center rubber disk coupling. The rubber is just there for a spacer and keeps the bare metal from beating itself to death.

Let us know how you come out.
Dave in SW Missouri

Couplings

`It seems like those couplings are called "Lovejoy couplings" in Northern tool, however, they may just be the brand name. Don't remember for sure.
Dave

`It seems like those couplings are called "Lovejoy couplings" in Northern tool, however, they may just be the brand name. Don't remember for sure.
Dave

lovejoy is a brand name, other companys make them, but those type of couplings are most commonly known as lovejoy

barmason, those couplings are readily available at tractor supply co. Or northern tool and supply. I replaced an engine on mine. It had a different size shaft than the old one. Just take your couplings to tsco. Or measure them and look them up online. They are about $7. For each piece, plus your center rubber disk coupling. The rubber is just there for a spacer and keeps the bare metal from beating itself to death.

Let us know how you come out.
Dave in sw missouri

found them online at northern tool will check tsc tomorrow
thanks for the quick response

JUST CALLED TSC AND THEY HAVE EVERYTHING I NEED ALOT CHEAPER THAN NORTHERN TOOL THANKS AGAIN

brian

Last edited:
Brian,

Not sure where in NH you are, but TSC in Hooksett had them. That's where I got mine.

coupling

Brian, glad you found them OK. I have already started burning on my next winters wood supply here in SW Missouri. Soon as it dries up some I got to get back at replenishing the next winter supply. I don't work in the leaves and woods when the snakes are out.
Dave

FYI I see the poster found the parts they needed but just thought I'd post that Grainger carries the lovejoy. We have a local Gainger but they are also online. We took our old lovejoy into Grainger to have them match the part. They brought out three variants - all the same size - all made of different material - so - watch what you buy.

Shari

fyi i see the poster found the parts they needed but just thought i'd post that grainger carries the lovejoy. We have a local gainger but they are also online. We took our old lovejoy into grainger to have them match the part. They brought out three variants - all the same size - all made of different material - so - watch what you buy.

Shari

tractor supply had all the right sizes and the spider gear all made by the same manufacture
thanks everyone for all the great input made this task very easy when i get it all back together ill post some pics i put a larger hydrolic tank purchased from tsc because my tank was damaged, then a new honda 200gx 5.5 what a buety that engine is, had my piston repacked at a local tractor sales and service for 100.00 as someone on this site had suggested there super machines ive split hundreds of cords of wood since the early 70s if anyone was thinking of buying one of these gems its a good investment

thanks again brian

thanks i found them at the ringe store picking them up in the am

thats not far from me, i wish TSC sold more american made products though
id get a couple of the spiders for spares, espically if theres any misalignment of the motor and pump shafts

thats not far from me, i wish TSC sold more american made products though
id get a couple of the spiders for spares, espically if theres any misalignment of the motor and pump shafts

hi got all the fixins today and i think your right about the alignment thats why i ruined the original coupling probably american made thats why they lasted over40 years

thanks again

Hello, I'm new and like everyone else I googled a log splitter I acquired and ended up here. So I originally was building a log splitter out of scrap metal laying around the yard and realized I didn't have a pump, valve or a tank. So I figured if I could find a broken splitter or used one I could get the parts I needed. I put the word out that I was looking for one and my wife's uncle salvaged a Didier from a junk yard nearby. He paid $25 in scrap weight for it. I got it home and looked it over and realized it was still in good condition but why did they scrap it? Well the engine had no compression and about 30 minutes later after breaking loose a stuck valve I was able to start and run the engine with the help of some starting fluid. I replaced the weathered pressure line. So with a helper spraying starting fluid to keep it running I cycled the ram in and out. It worked perfect. I grabbed a piece of mesquite and split it with ease. After seeing that I didn't want to part it out anymore. The Briggs it had was not what I wanted in the long run. I had a few Hondas to choose from and found the right size off a pressure washer that quit on me. I figured I would clean it up real nice and give it some color so after a good cleaning I disassembled it and painted it. It runs great and the only problem is I need to replace the return line as it is in poor condition and has a small leak. I have about $60 in it. Not till after I was putting it back together did I realize that the pressure line was too short to turn the valve straight up. Not a big deal. So far the only complaint is my back aches from bending over the machine after I use it. I have plans to raise it up without disturbing the original design. Here it isView attachment 288941View attachment 288942View attachment 288943View attachment 288944View attachment 288945

Another one saved from scrap and put back into service! Nice job.

And welcome to AS! Pull up a stool and look around a bit, this is a great place to hang out.

:clap::clap::clap:

My, my that red looks sharp! I'd go for a paint job like that on my 'lil Didier but it sits outside (covered nicely, thank you) and if it was painted so pretty for sure some low-down would snitch it from me.

Right now mine is black & grey with 'old grease/oil' which, I tell myself, acts as a natural preservative against rust. It's finish is kind of a natural redneck camouflage which makes it blend in with its surroundings. :)

Shari

Thanks guys. There sure is a lot of info on this site. I live way down south in Texas just south of San Antonio. I mostly split mesquite for BBQn. I couldn't imagine having to cut and split to keep warm all winter. Hats off to you guys that do. Our winter consist of maybe a week of freezing temperatures if we are lucky. Most of the time it will freeze at night only and there is very few of those days. Many Xmas days I remember it being 85-90 degrees. Kinda hard to get into the spirit. I currently own 3 saws. An 025pro, an MS460 and an MS390. The 390 dropped the decompression valve and self destructed. It sits waiting on me to decide to spend the money on a long block. One of these days I will finish my log splitter I started on too. The Didier works so well I abandoned the project but I still wanna finish that one day. This is as far as I got.View attachment 289054View attachment 289055
The cylinder is the only one I had. It's just laying there. Anyway I'm sure I'll spend many days reading here. Thanks for the comments. I assure you the Didier is not that clean anymore.

Manual

I found this thread while looking for instructions on how to fix my cylinder. Was hoping someone could send me the coveted manual? I sent a pm to Shari, but I'm not sure how often she's on here

Thanks!

Sean

[email protected]

Latest posts

Back