difference between a Husky 246 and a 246XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill G

ArboristSite King
Reaction score
I am wodering what the difference is between a 246 and a 246XP. I know the 246XP is a hot little saw and revs high. Is the 246 an inferior saw. I have noticed here the 246XP is often modified. Can the same thing be done with e the 246. All info will be appreciated.

Bill

Bill, I could be wrong here...I was once before...1987 I think....but I believe you are referring to the 346xp...and yep they go like stink and they modify well...and you are comparing it to the old 246 ....which was a consumer model I believe...or one of the early pro models?? (before my time here)...nevertheless...about 10- 15?? years in technology difference...my personal belief is that every saw is better modified...some take to it better than others...but there is always room for improvement...

Dennis, out of 13 other guys at the arbormaster felling class this week i'm the only one that knew about letalone ran a modifed saw!!!:eek: they didn't even know to open up the muffler!!! and these were seasoned arbos!!!:alien:

Ryan...somehow that doesnt surprise me...lol...did you scare anyone with the 066?
Modified saws, while they seem everyday to most of us, and have been around for years...but yet are still widely unknown. Since the net and forums like this have opened up, peoples eyes are opening up to the possibilities. It is people like Ken Dunn that we have to thank, for sharing so much info, so freely.

Hey Bill, the 246 was not a XP saw but it was close! Hardly a homeowners saw! Husky made three different models using that same basic case. The 42 special (2.6ci), the 246 (2.8ci) and the 242XP (2.6ci). The main difference being the 242XP turned 15,500 rpm and the other two were rated at 14,000. The quality of construction was very good and they were the forerunners for todays 346xp. If you can find one in decent shape buy it!!!!!!

Dennis, i wanted to bring my 066 but they said i wouldn't need anything more than my 346xp so natraully i took my 046 with the muffler opened up and scared the crap out of some people!!!:laugh: the largest saw they had there was a husky 385, i tried it and while yes it cut fast with a 20'' bar it didn't really impress me. i thought it was too heavy for its power. they told me to bring just my 346 and what did Rip use all most exclusively???? yup, you guessed it.....a stock 372xp w/20'' bar!!! so i was quite happy that i brought my 046 but would much rather have had my 066G w/20'' just for fun!!!:D

Well I guess I had a few to many beverages the other night but I bought a 246. I thought Husky made 246XP's later so this one would be a decent saw. I see now what I was thinking of was the 346XP. I have a 272XP and 3120XP that I am satified with. I have been looking for a high rpm smalll saw to cut brush with. I have a Stihl 026 but no one makes a 12 inch bar for it. Husky does not list a 12 for any of their saws so I suppose I will not find one for the 246 either. I figured I would buy the 246 and sell the 026. Since the 246 is not what I thought it was I may sell it again and keep the 026.
Bill

Latest posts

Back