difference between an .325 and 3/8

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
roundhead

roundhead

ArboristSite Operative
I need to get a bar and chain for an 039 rebuild. I ran it with my .325 chain and 7t sprocket to try it out, but it had an 8T 3/8" sprocket. Is there much difference in the two sizes? How do you know when it is time to replace the sprocket? the 3/8" sprocket has notches on it but my .325 does not. Is that normal or is that wear?

Eecho

Eecho

ArboristSite Operative
The pitch .325 is a smaller top cutter and tie strap it is easier to turn for a saw . The 3/8 is a bigger top cutter and tie strap . Mainly in a 20 " chain has more cutters in .325 than the 3/8. Some guys say that .325 is better for hardwoods then 3/8 due to more cutters and less bite . I personally use 3/8 on my saws that the displacement is in the in between range. 3/8 is much easier for me to see when filing and I think it holds up a little better then .325 . Sprockets are suposed to be changed every two chains but that mainly revolves around wear it is showing . I have two saws that run .325 but they were upsized from 3/8 lo profile which is even smaller then .325 in cutter height.

deye223

deye223

Addicted to ArboristSite
looks like there will be a few replys before i get this done 1st in pic is new 2nd 10hrs on it 3rd is what i call buggered and i don't let my sprockets go this long

attachment.php

i change every 3 chains

Wolfcsm
I need to get a bar and chain for an 039 rebuild. I ran it with my .325 chain and 7t sprocket to try it out, but it had an 8T 3/8" sprocket. Is there much difference in the two sizes? How do you know when it is time to replace the sprocket? the 3/8" sprocket has notches on it but my .325 does not. Is that normal or is that wear?

I think that you will find that .325 vs .375(3/8) chain is mostly a matter of personal preference. I am using both and really see little difference. the number of teeth on a sprocket is also a matter of what you want the saw to do. Right now, I have an 8t .325 sprocket on my 310 -stelth 390, using Oregon LGX chain. Not a bad setup. I have 7, 8 and 9 tooth .375 sprockets to try, also with LGX. I have used the 7 tooth sprocket since I bought the 310. Since the upgrade and mad, I want to see how a 8 or 9 tooth rim will work.

Hal

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
I think that you will find that .325 vs .375(3/8) chain is mostly a matter of personal preference. I am using both and really see little difference. the number of teeth on a sprocket is also a matter of what you want the saw to do. Right now, I have an 8t .325 sprocket on my 310 -stelth 390, using Oregon LGX chain. Not a bad setup. I have 7, 8 and 9 tooth .375 sprockets to try, also with LGX. I have used the 7 tooth sprocket since I bought the 310. Since the upgrade and mad, I want to see how a 8 or 9 tooth rim will work.

Hal

I assume the .325 chain is LPX, as LGX doesn't exist in that pitch.;)

I asked Google. :)

3 divided by 8 (3/8) = .375" vs .325"

There is .05" difference between them. FIVE HUNDREDTHS of an INCH.

:)

The problem with that is that 3/8" doesn't have a .375 pitch, but rather .367. ;)

starsailor

starsailor

ArboristSite Member

The difference is 0.050"

Eecho

Eecho

ArboristSite Operative
I assume the .325 chain is LPX, as LGX doesn't exist in that pitch.;)

The problem with that is that 3/8" doesn't have a .375 pitch, but rather .367. ;)

Actually isnt it .372 lol if a 32nd of a inch is .031 on a caliper but theres probably other numbers behind that decimal point im forgetting .

fearofpavement

fearofpavement

Trying them all
No way should a 039 have an 8-pin 3/8 sprocket on it. That is way bigger than a 7-pin .325. You should be running a 7-pin 3/8.

I agree with Brad (this time) and the 039 is well suited for 3/8" chain but an 8 pin is overly optimistic for it's power. (that 8 pin setup would be fine for a large saw like a MS660)

Essentially the saw manufacturers set saws up with an appropriate bar/chain/sprocket combo. Because many people have multiple saws, it is tempting to try to run the same chain on all of them. In reality, this is typically not a good idea because the saws are different power ranges.

roundhead

roundhead

ArboristSite Operative
No way should a 039 have an 8-pin 3/8 sprocket on it. That is way bigger than a 7-pin .325. You should be running a 7-pin 3/8.

OK pin = tooth?
my 290 has a 7t with a .325 chain
you are suggesting that the 039 be run with a 7t 3/8 chain.
are all these incompatible, meaning that you will need a specific sprocket and bar for each specific size chain? wouldnt the 8t give you more torque?

sunfish

sunfish

Fish Head
OK pin = tooth?
my 290 has a 7t with a .325 chain
you are suggesting that the 039 be run with a 7t 3/8 chain.
are all these incompatible, meaning that you will need a specific sprocket and bar for each specific size chain? wouldnt the 8t give you more torque?

8 pin will give more chain speed and less torque.