Difference between Stihl .050 Gauge and .063 Gauge Chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to give you a little history lesson. For Stihl to sell their saws in Canada the Canadian importing laws states that Stihl saws have to have a Canadian made product on it,so Oregon bars from Oregon's Canadian plant in Guelph,Ontario had to be used on the powerheads in the most common sizes under 28".Before Oregon it was Windsor on Stihl up until 1987, when at the time I raised hell through Chainsaw Age Magazine about the problems the oilholes on the Windsor bars not being blind drilled [one rail drilled through] and the plugged up oil holes were blowing the oil pump hoses off the 034s and the plugs out of the 038s pumps. The Oregon blind holes worked fine on the Stihls .After discussion with Stihls German factory engineer Yurgen Wolf the Windsors were eventually dropped and the Oregons bars have been on board ever since.

Thank you, another piece in the puzzle......:clap: :clap:

Yeah that is understandable I have more torque than I need
already so may buy a ten or a nine to play with!

I ran a 9 pin on my EHP in 15" Doug Fir but you had to pay attention to engine tone. It did well, but there was no horking it in. You will probably need an extra DL on your loops with a 9 unless you are running a 24"+ bar. I usually run an 8 pin with no problems and have torque to spare. An 8 pin give you somewhere around 15% more chain speed IIRC.

Ian

Last edited:
I ran a 9 pin on my EHP in 15" Doug Fir but you had to pay attention to engine tone. It did well, but there was no horking it in. You will probably need an extra DL on your loops with a 9 unless you are running a 24"+ bar. I usually run an 8 pin with no problems and have torque to spare. An 8 pin give you somewhere around 15% more chain speed IIRC.

Ian

So the eight pin would be good for a work mod?
Nine souped up dragon and ten stihl eating mochine ported
piped and tight squish right?

So the eight pin would be good for a work mod?
Nine souped up dragon and ten stihl eating mochine ported
piped and tight squish right?

yup, in my very limited experience, really big rims are for race saws in small wood or big saws and small bars. Think 880 work port and 20" bar with a 10 or 11 pin rim..... :dizzy:

Ian

In parts of the USA, bar gauge is a regional thing.

For example: around my area you couldn't give away a .058 or .063 gauge bar and if you have one you have to order chain for it over the Internet.

In some other parts of the USA it is that way for .050 gauge. No one wants the bars and you can not buy chain for one unless you look on the Internet.

Here in oz 063 is the common stihl gauge unless you're using 3/8 lo pro which is 050. Stihl saws at least-- the others seem to use 050 or 058 in their bigger saws I doubt the big gauge has any advantage more likely a ploy to sell more stihl branded chain

I run one of my Stihl 661's with .063, .325 chain on a 20" bar. Even though it's .325 it's a heftier chain than the .050 3/8 that came stock.
.325 absolutely rips on a 661.

Latest posts

Back