Differences between a RSC and a RSK chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talon1189

"Da Smiley King"
Reaction score
I have run a couple of standard 3/8 RSC chains on my newer Stihl MS 361 with a 20" bar and liked the way it felt and cut wood. I bought a 16" bar recently for my 361 and the dealer told me that the only yellow chain that he stocks is the RSK. How much difference is there between the 2? The dealer told me that the RSK chain is more aggressive and all his tree customers use it :help: Which chain is faster in clean wood? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.Talon

I've tried to figure out that as well. The last couple of reels I have bought are RSLK and RSLKF (square) and I like it fine. I was told the cutter and depth are a newer design that is slightly more efficient, but I can't say I understand.

edit: What I didn't say is that I typically run a 28 or 32 inch bar minumum.

Last edited:
I believe the differenses are that the RSK has "slimmer", not so ramped rakers and are more prone to kick-back. It also should bore-cut better, and have slightly better room for chip transport.

The RSK has no anti-vibe chassis, which in combination with the blunter rakers, will give you a rougher ride trough the wood.....

According to Stihl, RSK are only recommended for professional use of larger saws, in large wood.

I have never used RSK, and never seen it offered for sale either.

Last edited:
rsk

rsc has replaced some rsk loops, the rsc is safer and i find cuts the same as the rsk but that is my opinion, dealers will sell you low kickback chain but around here they make you sign a waiver.

jefeVTtreeman said:
rsc has replaced some rsk loops, the rsc is safer and i find cuts the same as the rsk but that is my opinion, dealers will sell you low kickback chain but around here they make you sign a waiver.
RSC is replacing the RS, not the RSK!

hi guys quick question, i just started sharpening my own loops and a friend asked me to do his he gave me 2 loops of .325 and two other of .325 but my file doesn'nt seem to fit the smaller loops, came of a smaller saw i think a 353 16" bar. the size of everything is smaller are these micro loops?
thanks

jefeVTtreeman said:
hi guys quick question, i just started sharpening my own loops and a friend asked me to do his he gave me 2 loops of .325 and two other of .325 but my file doesn'nt seem to fit the smaller loops, came of a smaller saw i think a 353 16" bar. the size of everything is smaller are these micro loops?
thanks
The right file diameter for most .325 chain is 4.8 mm (3/16") - for some, like the Oregon 30-series, 4.5 mm.

Back