Different clutch spring styles, are they all the same?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldtoolsnewproblems

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Title says it all. For my saw I can get any one of these three style clutches. I need to get a replacement and want to get the best.
I had spring 3 in my saw and the spring grenade a few weeks back, swapped on a spare of a sad saw and moved on, but it engages at low rpm so the spring in that one is clearly soft with age so I need to get a few spare. Does it make any difference, or is the brand more important than the spring shape?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210630-100753.png
    Screenshot_20210630-100753.png
    333.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20210630-100655.png
    Screenshot_20210630-100655.png
    140.5 KB · Views: 18
My heart says style 2 is the best, most resembles stock on my larger saws, but style 3 is in almost every other smcall saw I have, but they're all homeowner grade so

Agree with above- model and make of saw would be handy to know.
Also add though, after high hour run time (fallers saw) style 1 can wear in the spring eyes and they can elongate and loose spring tension, to the point that new springs make very little difference.
But that problem is USUALLY the result of springs that should have been replaced a long time ago, coupled with high saw use.

The failing clutch springs are on 266s that are 25-32 years old, so I think they've probably earned their rest. Funny enough one of the surviving clutches I'm about to replace is actual worn full thru one of the shoes, didn't notice until I was taking inventory.
I don't know the history of the saws, I've put it thru 15 cords since I rescued it from the trash a few years ago.

The failing clutch springs are on 266s that are 25-32 years old, so I think they've probably earned their rest. Funny enough one of the surviving clutches I'm about to replace is actual worn full thru one of the shoes, didn't notice until I was taking inventory.
I don't know the history of the saws, I've put it thru 15 cords since I rescued it from the trash a few years ago.

Then I think you also have to know if the original are coarse thread clutches- or fine thread ones- that will be a factor and might narrow your choices down a bit.

Surprisingly all three seem to be the fine thread which all my saws luckily use. I understand corse thread is totally NLA these days?

I think there might be after market options now for the coarse thread clutches.
Or, you can swap the shoes and spring off a fine thread clutch onto a coarse thread spider.

Looking at photos it looks like they're fine (hehe) but no one ever says what the actual thread pitch is. Since I don't have a coarse to compare to, it's hard to be 100% sure which I actually have. Does anyone know the answer on that?

Oh I misread your response here. I think you said 3 where you meant to say 2, but I don't know which is which. I think I'm gonna go with style 1 from what I see here, unless my local shop still can source a factory one and I'll do whatever that is, as I'm sure it's best.

Looking at photos it looks like they're fine (hehe) but no one ever says what the actual thread pitch is. Since I don't have a coarse to compare to, it's hard to be 100% sure which I actually have. Does anyone know the answer on that?

You mean you are not sure if you have coarse thread clutches or fine thread clutches?
When mounted on the saw and you look at the nut used to remove the clutch- do you see the end of the crankshaft? ( Fine thread) Or do you see a capped nut with a small hole drilled in the cap? (coarse thread)- easiest way I know to identify them without measuring with a thread gauge.

Back