Dingos and such

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
why not a small garden tractor (12-14hp or so)

Some guys use 'em and I can see their benefit on long hauls but you still have to handle the wood manually at least two times and they aren't the post professional looking piece of equipment.

Not awesome, but while you are cutting your logs into hand loading chucks, I am starting my next job.

Rent what you need for now, Plas.

You guys make good points, But a growing business could benefit from a piece of equipment that could earn money away from trees as well.

Many times I have made extra money on jobs because I had a loader with a bucket to move something for an older couple or plant a large tree for a good customer, the list goes on.

Chippers are alot of upkeep and expense running them is quite high. A trailer doesn't cost anything to sit onsite and be filled with the mini. Slashing in a trailer can make a lot of brush disappear.

I'm also willing to bet with some networking you can find a client or wood drop off that will have some land to dispose of brush . It might not be that way in your area.

I kind of like the small tractor idea too they seem to work out well, though I would like a mini skid.

contractor-grapple-2.gif

new more then you could get a used mini skid for. But for a new one in the area of 13-15k with out crapple bucket. Oh by the way that pic isnt mine I just added it to give an idea what I am talknig about.

I paid 15,000 for mine. its hydrostatic and has a bucket. I also have the finish mower that mounts to the bottom. I can run the mower over the yard after I am done and the yard looks great. I also have a hitch on the back for pulling a trailer to the brush instead of bringing the brush to the trailer. the whole thing weighs around 1,700 hundred pounds so I can get back in a yard after a rain sooner than if I had a bobcat.​

I paid 15,000 for mine. its hydrostatic and has a bucket. I also have the finish mower that mounts to the bottom. I can run the mower over the yard after I am done and the yard looks great. I also have a hitch on the back for pulling a trailer to the brush instead of bringing the brush to the trailer. the whole thing weighs around 1,700 hundred pounds so I can get back in a yard after a rain sooner than if I had a bobcat.​

yep for sure less intrusive on the lawn.

Treeslayer has the right idea Plas. This trade can be a very very expensive hobby unless the gear is paying for itself. I strongly recommend you hire as many different pieces of equipment as possiblebefore you put your hard earned cash on the line. Like you said elsewhere this is a weekend gig for you at the moment so try em all before you buy any.

If you are moving anything over grass I recommend you try an articulated loader if you can. Skidsteers do just that. Skid. I have a tracked skid steer much like the bargain bobcat pictured earlier and although imo they are gentler on turf than wheels it is still very easy to do damage that you then have to fix. Also go straight to a grapple bucket and leave the forks or 4 in 1 buckets alone. A grapple makes moving brush or blocks a one man operation so your labourers can be doing other things while you do the "hard" work.

:cheers:

Treeslayer has the right idea Plas. This trade can be a very very expensive hobby unless the gear is paying for itself. I strongly recommend you hire as many different pieces of equipment as possiblebefore you put your hard earned cash on the line. Like you said elsewhere this is a weekend gig for you at the moment so try em all before you buy any.

If you are moving anything over grass I recommend you try an articulated loader if you can. Skidsteers do just that. Skid. I have a tracked skid steer much like the bargain bobcat pictured earlier and although imo they are gentler on turf than wheels it is still very easy to do damage that you then have to fix. Also go straight to a grapple bucket and leave the forks or 4 in 1 buckets alone. A grapple makes moving brush or blocks a one man operation so your labourers can be doing other things while you do the "hard" work.

:cheers:

What works for me, as a contract climber who does not own any big equipment, is I partner up with local guys when I travel. I get guys lined up everywhere I go to sub the hauling and do the cleanup, when I am selling my own jobs. (big newspaper ad right now). I figure about half of every takedown bid for cleanup, and this pays ALL the labor. I make good money, and they make good money. on pruning jobs, I leave it curbside, and send the crew around to clean it all at once after I have a couple done.
plus, 10-99's shed us of tax obligations.

Find you a landscaper guy with a skidsteer, and sub it til you are ready to buy, not another tree guy, he will be too tempted to take the walk up jobs.:dizzy:

This works everywhere.

I work with this guy 2-3 days a week, he has 3 different machine available, and he just built a grapple, and is buying a chipper next. he smells the $$. :D

attachment.php

Last edited:
What works for me, as a contract climber who does not own any big equipment, is I partner up with local guys when I travel. I get guys lined up everywhere I go to sub the hauling and do the cleanup, when I am selling my own jobs. (big newspaper ad right now). I figure about half of every takedown bid for cleanup, and this pays ALL the labor. I make good money, and they make good money. on pruning jobs, I leave it curbside, and send the crew around to clean it all at once after I have a couple done.
plus, 10-99's shed us of tax obligations.

Find you a landscaper guy with a skidsteer, and sub it til you are ready to buy, not another tree guy, he will be too tempted to take the walk up jobs.:dizzy:

This works everywhere.

I work with this guy 2-3 days a week, he has 3 different machine available, and he just built a grapple, and is buying a chipper next. he smells the $$. :D

attachment.php

Hey slayer is that you he is using for ballast?

I'm getting a kick out of this thread, plas, :D you're in the biz now less than a year and ready to buy equipment, but you are going to miss out on a valuable lesson. :dunno:

buy some of these and move wood to the truck with em, and when you do
finally buy a loader, you will really appreciate it..........

how a lotta guys got started, and many still do it.
I still have a couple stashed away at my parents house. just need 2 guys to drive em.:laugh:
attachment.php

http://www.handtrucks.com/hand-trucks/standard-hand-trucks/harperphandlehandtruck.cfm

:agree2::cheers:

Latest posts

Back