Directing a tree's fall

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I misread your first post. I was thinking of a much larger tree. It's always good to have a little doubt in the back of your mind until you are sure of yourself. It's always better being safe than being sorry later and check all your options like you did. I know the feeling; I took out a 30 inch, 45 ft tall tree that was hallow about 4 ft up. The darn thing was between the OWB and hanging over the garage. One good wind in either direction and I was about to lose something. I put off cutting that tree for a good month before I finally took it down.

If you think the tree could fall back toward the camper then move it.. I'm sure you'll do the right thing.

Be Safe!!!

Um, 12 inch trees kill and smash things also. I've heard over and over, it is the small ones that'll get you.
Or is it only 12 inches for like 4 feet and then tiny suckers above? How about a picture?

the tree while fall exactly where you want it to, unless it can fall exactly where you dont want it to . just seems to be the way it works.

One rule I like to live by is "When in doubt, tie it off"

So far I've had two trees out of hundreds that I've fell not do what I wanted, though I've had dozens that I questioned. And it was those I made sure were tied off.

So if you have to question it, there is a doubt, so definitely tie it off.

If it was a heavy side leaner, I'd use two tie lines, one to keep it stable opposite of the lean or 90 degrees of the direction of the fell, and the other to urge it in the right direction. A minor leaner as you described. One tie line should be sufficient. I truly doubt there is a chance that it would break the hinge causing it to go sideways.

But, like I said, when in doubt, tie it off!

If it is moveable move it then cut. If in doubt put a line on it or use wedges.

Also make sure there are no vines way up in it. I had a big pine twist as it started to go and it went way off course. Vines up top to tied it to other trees. We have bad Virginia creeper vines.

All I wanna know is

the manufacturer of that windshield...one tough mother!

283451d1362787142-img_0555-jpg

For Craps sake, move the stuff and cut the tree already.....I can't take much more suspense :msp_ohmy:

Latest posts

Back