Dirt bike cylinder on a saw ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would take one heck of a brain to do that. Even the 50/60cc bike top ends are way bigger then the saws. Just to get the cylinder mounted would need a huge case mod or a case built from scratch. Much easier to just modify a bike engine to run as a saw. I'm quite happy with the current offerings from stihl and husky so why anyone would wanna put a bulky bike top end on one is beyond me.

I think a reed block intake could be done without immense problems, the entire top end would be a little harder

I wanna know if anyone has ever attempted to fit a small turbo to a saw

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Would take one heck of a brain to do that. Even the 50/60cc bike top ends are way bigger then the saws. Just to get the cylinder mounted would need a huge case mod or a case built from scratch. Much easier to just modify a bike engine to run as a saw. I'm quite happy with the current offerings from stihl and husky so why anyone would wanna put a bulky bike top end on one is beyond me.

Gee who peepeed in the little British Columbian's soup this time....?? Or salad or whatever you people eat.

Crf125 could work 4 stroke tho
... would be heavy tho

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Isn't Dolmars 6100 a reed valve saw? So why bother building one yourself when you can buy a stock machine.

Wolter
The reed in that one is only for the air that does not get any gasoline mixed in.

I can say the 125 and 200 cc european water cooled case reed enduro type motorcycle engines I have had apart basically have transfer ports all the way around except where the exhaust is. I have a top handle case reed saw and was surprised how small the two side and one rear transfer are.

The whole bore/stroke ratio has gone to long stroke on the motorcycles and short strokes on the chainsaws. Then there is powervalves and liquid cooling.

It would need to be air cooled to minimise weight

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

If you want a full reed valve saw engine look no further than the old homelites... the Super XL is reed, and I think the XL12's were too.. in all likelyhood the whole lineup of the time was.

Gee who peepeed in the little British Columbian's soup this time....?? Or salad or whatever you people eat.

have you ever seen a bike cylinder off a bike? just the mounting surface for the cylinder is damn near the whole width of a saw. not plausable. much easier to just cut the tranny off the bike engine and form a saw around the bikes engine design.

You would be money ahead to just build or buy a bike saw! I think youd have a heck of a time matching the cylinder base, intake, and exhaust to the saw chassis, and somehow make it still resemble a chainsaw. But it you make it work, I will eat my words! It is a very interesting idea none the less...

I do have a 800cc triple snowmobile engine here i would like to put to use somewhere....

Major problem with that is the turbo needs a pressurized oil line.. 50:1 isn't going to cut it, and 16:1 isn't either

my buddy neil fitted a turbo to his 2 stroke sled. he is a member here. he told me it functioned mint. i'll send him a text tomorrow to see if he'll post here. he's not on all that often these days.

When i was a kid i had a 1980 kx 80 air cooled ,maybe a 60 or 80 cc along those lines ?

sorry man, not to shoot you down but even an old kx60 cylinder mounting base is way way to large. love that 441 by the way. it's almost as fast as the stock huskies after i ported it! :) i can almost look past it's fat ass :laugh:

Back