Disappointed With Speeco Customer Service

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vortec-Z71

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, up until this point I've heard nothing but good reviews about Speeco customer service. It was one of the reasons why I decided to go with their 35 ton splitter. It has been a great machine, however, the auto-retract has recently stopped working. The lever just pops out after I push it in. I contacted Speeco and they determined that I would need an o-ring kit for the valve which goes for about $30. They said that it would be a pretty straight forward repair and even provided me with instructions on how to replace it. I consider myself to be mechanically inclined and would have no issues attempting the repair. Since I purchased the splitter in August, Speeco said that everything should be covered since I am under warranty. The problem is that there is no authorized Speeco repair center in my state. The nearest one is a 50 minute drive and that's assuming that I use the posted speed limits which would exceed the splitter speed rating (I don't have a trailer). They said if I don't take it there I have to pay for the cost of the part myself. Speeco is unwilling to just ship me the part. In the end, it's going to cost me more in gas going back and forth to drop off and pickup the splitter than the cost of the part itself. In addition, I don't know what the wait time at the repair center will be and I use my splitter reguarly. Anyways, I just needed to vent a little and would like to know what you guys think. Am I wrong to be frustrated with Speeco because they're unwilling to ship the o-ring to me?

Last edited:
Explain your situation to a supervisor.Speeco sent me a valve no charge and my splitter was 10 years old.

Don't take this the wrong way, but it IS reasonable for them to have you take it to a service center...
That being said, with a few kind words, and a good explanation of your situation, they may just send you the parts... You are probably totally capable of making the repairs yourself, but remember, they don't know you. So keep that in mind...

I always try to put myself in the position of the dealer / manufacturer in these situations...
Hope you get it ironed out quickly.

Don't take this the wrong way, but it IS reasonable for them to have you take it to a service center...
That being said, with a few kind words, and a good explanation of your situation, they may just send you the parts... You are probably totally capable of making the repairs yourself, but remember, they don't know you. So keep that in mind...

I always try to put myself in the position of the dealer / manufacturer in these situations...

I agree. The right person on the phone and a friendly explanation of your situation might get your parts in the mail.

BTW, around here, a 50 minute drive is close. :D

I have explained my situation to one of the representatives through email but he just didn't want to hear it. I just don't understand why he said I was covered under warranty, gave me the repair instructions, and then said that I had to pay for the part myself unless I took it to a service center. I wouldn't have an issue if the serivce center was local. It just doesn't make sense to drive there and back to drop off my splitter for service and then do the same to pick it up. It would be cheaper for me to just pay for the part out of pocket but after spending $2000 on a brand new machine I feel I shouldn't have to.

Take the valve off and ship it only. Why take the complete machine? You gonna take a tree with you too? :msp_tongue:
I would likely just buy the part needed and remember it everytime someone asked me about buying a splitter, especially in TSC or wherever you bought it. Is your retailer helping you? Use you loud voice in the store if you have to.

small idea

Not a fabulous idea but perhaps...are you able to make a short video of the valve screwing up? Something to show them you aren't trying to pull a scam for free parts? A 2 meg video, email it to them, then see what they say. Ya, ain't worth it dragging it all that way for a real minor repair. Hazardous actually hauling a splitter on the highway or other high speed road with those little toy wheels. Plus time, plus gas to get there and back, maybe even twice, etc.

Not a fabulous idea but perhaps...are you able to make a short video of the valve screwing up? Something to show them you aren't trying to pull a scam for free parts? A 2 meg video, email it to them, then see what they say. Ya, ain't worth it dragging it all that way for a real minor repair. Hazardous actually hauling a splitter on the highway or other high speed road with those little toy wheels. Plus time, plus gas to get there and back, maybe even twice, etc.

It was a good idea by cantoo to take the valve but its still a hike and wasted time. I'll try to get a video tomorrow.

Are these o-rings anything special? Is it possible to take the valve apart and and replace the o-rings with ones that could be bought cheap at a hardware store? I feel for your problem, you spend $$ buying their splitter and when troubles pop up and they are not dealt with you feel used. Goog luck

O - rings

If you take the top hat assembly off the valve watch closely for the ball bearings.

Vprtec, when I said ship, I meant by ups or fedex. Can't drive anywhere these days. I live in the sticks and a simple trip to the city means $500 easily. Go to buy 1 thing and I have to make the trip worthwhile, Princess Auto, Canadian tire, chainsaw store, maybe an auction or 3.

In any business an email is a lot easier to ignore than a phone call. When a quick email won't resolve an issue, most times a nice phone call will. It is hard to believe a call to someone with authority, the customer service rep isn't a person of authority, can get this simple issue taken care of.

Latest posts

Back