Disaster Relief, Emergency Response

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTS

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I spoke with a gentleman today who is an independent worker who subs out with the phone companies to do work on lines and programing. We were talking about our trip down south and how it went and the mass of problems self created by the lack of organization and the 25,000 levels of sub contracting causing only paperwork to get accomplished. Anyway he was talking about what he does on storm damages. He belongs to a group that responds upon request to damaged areas and gets them back up an running.

It made me think. I'm not sure if there is such a thing in our profession. In the event of a major ice storm or mass tornado damage here in Iowa. The few area companies would be here to work on stuff but in no means is there enough companies around to deal with mass distruction.

So is there a response organization around? Or if not what is your thoughts on putting a list like this together. The problem with this is the same as down at the hurricanes. Greed, Greed, Greed. This doesn't have to be a volunteer work group but in my mind if our area is hit then a call goes out. I can see some greedy people wanting to be a part of such a group for the call but in the situation where they are victim, they fail to pick up the phone just so they can make an extra buck. And to be quite honest maybe it needs to be a sub-contractor issue where the locals in the group sub the work out as they will primarily be taking the calls.

Lots to think about.....What's your thoughts.

It would be nice if we didn't have to depend on the big multi-million/billion dollar organizations to pick who they want services from in these cases, but you nailed it when you said "greed". The rich get richer?
It's who ya know, knot what you know or who you are?
We should be able to help the victims and eachother, while weeding out the thieving con maggots that are motivated only by greed.
I think the current system sucks.
The people need another.
Peace,
boo

TCIA (Tree Care Industry Association formerly the NAA) has a list that members can put themselves on that lists where they are willing to go and what kind of equipment they have. If you have a big ice storm in Iowa and are a TCIA member and want to hire qualified subcontractors you can request that companies willing to work in Iowa contact you. Same for you if you are on the list and there is an ice storm in Wisconsin - if you were willing to work in WI your name would be forwarded to me if I requested help from TCIA.

I am a member of TCIA. There is so much about the organization that I don't know. How do you get on that list? There is a lot to be said about those willing to help in a time of need, and belonging to a group like this I think will be greatly appreciated by the victims. Educating the victims of this group, at the time of disaster will allow everyone involved to benefit.

You can contact them. If I remember right, a blank application to get on the list shows up once a year, maybe with your dues statement - but I think it comes some other time of the year - more like spring or summer. You can probably get it to download by going to TCIA's Members Only part of their web page. I do not believe they publish the names of companies on the list but will help put companies that need help in contact with those offering.

Back