Dishwasher vs. Oil Seals & Cylinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fletcher969

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all,

I debated if I should bump one of the 2+ year old dishwasher threads, but decided to start new as my question is pretty specific, and it isn't answered in the aforementioned threads.

I'm rebuilding the top end of a 361, and this and that eventually led to me deciding to use the dishwasher to thoroughly degrease all my plastics and painted parts, but not before I'd installed new oil seals, and removed the cylinder. The saw is currently disassembled down to the crankcase with only the crank sticking out of it.

Assuming I seal the crankcase interior from the dishwater elements, and that I use powdered dishwasher detergent, should I be concerned the detergent will ruin or degrade my new crankshaft oil seals? Same question regarding my cylinder if it's laying in the dishwasher loose.

Thanks.

Just rinse it down with some diesel or kerosene or mineral spirits and air it off. If you actually plan to use the saw, it will get dirty again.

If you must use the dishwasher, flushing it with Isopropyl Alcohol will scavenge all the water out of the crankcase/bearings.

Thanks guys.

As a precaution, I'm going to set my timer for 5 minute intervals so I can check to make sure the crankcase isn't being breached. I'd fogotten isopropyl alcohol's ability to attract water, but that would be the route to take. I instead was going to use WD40, then follow up by lubricating it with some oil if water got into the crankcase. I think it would be far easier to slosh some of alcohol in there, dump it out, let whatever remains evaporate, then lube. Hopefully my plugs hold up, and I can avoid dealing with it.

Regarding it getting dirty again, I had mostly cleaned it up by hand already, and was going to put it all back together, but I ran across a couple of restoration threads, and I decided I would degrease it thoroughly and refurbish my plastics and repaint my gray parts as my saw's exterior is showing lots of use. A sort of exterior reset.

Thanks again.

Hope it all works out for you! Always nice to see folks building/rebuilding saws.

Start a build thread on the saw if you wish to track/show off your progress.

When you rinse the case out, you WILL loosen hardened particles of 2 stroke yumminess that hides in places you can't see. Like between the bearing and seal. Those particles get trapped within the bearing race and will never completely be removed no matter how many times you flush the cylinder.
Ask me how I know!
If I were you, I'd leave the crank case outta the dishwasher! Unless you plan on splitting the case and replacing the bearings?

The case itself is something you should just use a toothbrush and some mix to clean. It doesn't hurt to fill the case with fresh clean mix to rinse it out a few times when you're done cleaning the rest. Hot soapy water on bearings will clean them too dry and they will start to rust within minutes of drying out.

Hi all,

I debated if I should bump one of the 2+ year old dishwasher threads, but decided to start new as my question is pretty specific, and it isn't answered in the aforementioned threads.

I'm rebuilding the top end of a 361, and this and that eventually led to me deciding to use the dishwasher to thoroughly degrease all my plastics and painted parts, but not before I'd installed new oil seals, and removed the cylinder. The saw is currently disassembled down to the crankcase with only the crank sticking out of it.

Assuming I seal the crankcase interior from the dishwater elements, and that I use powdered dishwasher detergent, should I be concerned the detergent will ruin or degrade my new crankshaft oil seals? Same question regarding my cylinder if it's laying in the dishwasher loose.

Thanks.
Not to sound like an ass.. But are you really serious? Are you really going to try this? If you do t have the necessary shop equipment to rebuild a saw, do one of the following

Buy a parts washer
Buy a power washer
Buy a lot of carb cleaner
Buy a good stiff brush.
Stop rebuilding saws

No. Not even no but h311 no.

If you really want to de grease/clean go ask you wife if you can borrow some dawn before you get divorced because you put a CHAINSAW in the dishwasher.
I certainly do appreciate out of the box thinking, but this is way to far. I will answer this question for you. Yes it will clean, but not engine builder clean.

I would be weary of putting a whole crankcase in the washer... If you put the cylinder in the washer, make sure it is not an acidic powder, a neutral PH is desired...

Not to sound like an ass.. But are you really serious? Are you really going to try this? If you do t have the necessary shop equipment to rebuild a saw, do one of the following

Buy a parts washer
Buy a power washer
Buy a lot of carb cleaner
Buy a good stiff brush.
Stop rebuilding saws

No. Not even no but h311 no.

If you really want to de grease/clean go ask you wife if you can borrow some dawn before you get divorced because you put a CHAINSAW in the dishwasher.
I certainly do appreciate out of the box thinking, but this is way to far. I will answer this question for you. Yes it will clean, but not engine builder clean.

Not to argue, but have you tried it? I know of a few guys who have actually done it, myself being one, and it WORKS! Some parts cleaning agents will hurt the plastics of a saw... Carb cleaner too...

Dont mean to be a prick, but why tell someone to stop building saws because he cant afford a hot tank. If half of the guys here were held to "engine builder clean" they would not be here.

If you truly appreciated the "out of the box thinking" why degrade the idea in the first place? Rant over..

Using a dishwasher flat out works. I took the one from my kitchen remodel and use it often. I only use it on saws that I am splitting the cases on and rebuilding. I wash plastics, recoils, and sprocket covers in it all the time. If I have a batch of saws to do, I can get the parts of three of them in the washer at a time. I work on other stuff while they are washing. No inhaling carb cleaner, no wasting time scrubbing in the solvent tank, no figuring out how to use a pressure washer while it's -20F outside.

Not to argue, but have you tried it? I know of a few guys who have actually done it, myself being one, and it WORKS! Some parts cleaning agents will hurt the plastics of a saw... Carb cleaner too...

Dont mean to be a prick, but why tell someone to stop building saws because he cant afford a hot tank. If half of the guys here were held to "engine builder clean" they would not be here.

If you truly appreciated the "out of the box thinking" why degrade the idea in the first place? Rant over..

My friend you missed my part about dawn dish soap.. Wish I was paid to advertise that stuff. I myself cannot afford a hot tank. Carb cleaner and other solvents may affect plastics adhesive emblems and such yes. No I have not tried the dishwasher method. I wash our dishes by hand. I have also been around much more expensive things than saws, let's say brand new Harleys that I built and dynoed. Parts I powder coated. Cylinders I've bored to size finished honed and warrantied. Thank you for calling me out. You and I learned something about eachother. As far as the dishwasher for saws,I'm out. I'll stick to elbow grease ang good cleaning practices

Using a dishwasher flat out works. I took the one from my kitchen remodel and use it often. I only use it on saws that I am splitting the cases on and rebuilding. I wash plastics, recoils, and sprocket covers in it all the time. If I have a batch of saws to do, I can get the parts of three of them in the washer at a time. I work on other stuff while they are washing. No inhaling carb cleaner, no wasting time scrubbing in the solvent tank, no figuring out how to use a pressure washer while it's -20F outside.
Doug you just maybe opened my eyes? If you are using a dishwasher solely for saws then hell yes! As long as there are no bearings or seals at play.still for me not an assembled crankcase

Install the cylinder, then all you need to do is block off the intake and exhaust. The gasket between the cylinder and crankcase should be air tight. No problems with oil seals that have the keeper spring on the inside of the crankcase. Did not try externals, would expect rust.

Dish washer detergents are caustic so be careful with the amount used and expect some fading.

Lots of saws get washed in dish washers, some fade more than others. Personally recommend skipping the heated drying cycle at the end as that seems to make it worse. Compressed air works for me.

Dedicated dish washer for parts. Saw dust fines can collect and plug traps and check valves, having said that I have had no issues so far myself.

dont you all know the best way to do it,,, geezzzzzz,,, i throw stripped down saws in the clothes washer with a couple pairs of jeans,,then trow all of it in the dryer,,, they all come out nice and clean,, soft and fluffy

. . . they all come out nice and clean,, soft and fluffy
Plus, you get dryer lint for the Xmas Giving thread!

There are lots of ways to degrease saw parts: soaking, compressed air, ultrasonic cleaner, dishwasher, etc.

The concern I share with some other posters is doing this with assembled parts or components, which cannot be rinsed, inspected, and dried as easily.

Dishwasher detergent is caustic and may darken some aluminum parts, and bleach some plastic parts.

Philbert

When you rinse the case out, you WILL loosen hardened particles of 2 stroke yumminess that hides in places you can't see. Like between the bearing and seal. Those particles get trapped within the bearing race and will never completely be removed no matter how many times you flush the cylinder.
Ask me how I know!
If I were you, I'd leave the crank case outta the dishwasher! Unless you plan on splitting the case and replacing the bearings?

+1 +1 +1
The idea of putting a crankcase in the dishwasher that is not in case halves without bearings or seals is a no go for me.

I have a dishwasher in the shop dedicated to cleaning parts, rarely gets used though.

They are fine for cleaning plastic parts, work well enough on powder coated parts, but are often far less effective on older metal saws with really baked on crud and old enamel paint. As noted, dishwasher detergents are pretty hard on old painted parts.

I do most of my parts washing in a pretty conventional "20 gallon" parts washer with mineral spirits. Some cylinders and piston will require a soak in the Berrymans to get the cooked stuff loosened up.

DSCN4573.jpg

DSC06667.JPG

I am not afraid to put anything in the dishwasher, but you would want to dry it thoroughly immediately after washing to avoid rusting of ferrous parts. Magnesium parts will also suffer corrosion from the dishwasher detergents so use it sparingly.

Mark

Latest posts

Back