Dishwasher vs. Oil Seals & Cylinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The crankcase came out water-free inside, even after running it through 3 long, detergent-rich wash cycles, and a couple of extra rinse cycles (but no dry cycles). I sealed off the crankcase by reattaching the cylinder using my old gasket (which is being replaced), and I prepared the crankcase exactly like I did for pressure/vac testing which I had performed a few days ago. I also plugged any holes leading to the oil tank since I figured that could be a mess to deal with later if water got in there. I didn't place any ferrous parts in the dishwasher (ex. clutch assembly), and I dried whatever I could put cloth to. Everything else came out clean except that the scratches in the plastic pieces retained some of the grime I couldn't remove by scrubbing either. There was ever so slight fading of the orange, but in my case I'm going to sand and poly it anyway, so it is of little consequence. The gray will get paint and poly. The dishwasher is clean and fresh smelling after 2 dish-free wash cycles. It's worth noting that I have no female living with me, so my dishwasher is mine to use as I please, but I can't foresee needing to use it for this purpose again.

For anyone who expressed skepticism, whether or not the dishwasher method was viable or not (assuming precautions were taken) wasn't in question after I came across several old AS threads on the subject. Also, I wouldn't have even considered this method if not for the fact my saw is extremely dirty, and I needed a method to more effectively and efficiently clean this saw than basic tools would provide. If I had purchased this saw new or in a clean condition, this whole thread would be moot, because I'm pretty anal about keeping tools and equipment clean. Instead, I purchased it for a really good price a couple of years ago in a heavily used condition, including a perforated oil pump that obviously hadn't been fixed in a very long time. The saw was scuffed, beaten, and grimy to the extreme. Neverthless, it had good compression, it ran solid, and there was no major damage to it, so I replaced the oil pump, and cleaned it as best as I could without disassmbling it. Despite the fact it has always been far more roughed up and dirty than I would have ever allowed, it has run without any major issues, and it has served me very well until it started to show signs of an air leak which ultimately led to my need to disassemble the saw. That's where I am today.

Again, everything came out ok, no water entered the crankcase, all my new parts have arrived, and now I can proceed to the paint and poly stage before I put everything back together.

Back