dissecting an earthquake chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well....

You know you'll need a saw of some sorts to carry around in it. :)

Haven't even looked for one for a while now, might have to go check to see if they are even still available.

Ehhhh, still over $50 for one....

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Well....

You know you'll need a saw of some sorts to carry around in it. :)

Haven't even looked for one for a while now, might have to go check to see if they are even still available.

Ehhhh, still over $50 for one....

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

How many does that guy have?

Sent from my wheelchair using hawkingtalk:)

unless you pull the throttle shaft, you won't see it. you can look down the carb opening and see if there is a little brass fitting on the venturi at the top.

Does this help? If not, please excuse my lack of knowledge:)

f7c7411d9b92da32ab6838119f27ca48_zpsc7ba3d5a.jpg

I have three 3816s. All three have had the guts drilled out of the mufflers (look good from the outside). Two are mildy ported and one of the ported has the cylinder gasket removed.

They were inexpensive projects, but none have seen wood yet.

Wondering if there is a market for them - should I sell a couple?

I have three 3816s. All three have had the guts drilled out of the mufflers (look good from the outside). Two are mildy ported and one of the ported has the cylinder gasket removed.

They were inexpensive projects, but none have seen wood yet.

Wondering if there is a market for them - should I sell a couple?

I sold a few of those Earthquakes :msp_smile:

That made it easy for me to get another 70 cc saw :taped:

mine are not ported but they are a hoot with just a MM....

The MM really helped and woke it up, but the porting sealed the deal.. By far the snappiest saw I have, and it starts on the first pull almost every time. Really amazed with it! The piston didn't make me too happy when I had it apart though.. It looked cracked on the exhaust side, I thought it was just scored, but its way too deep. I decided to just throw it back together for now and ... It's a $30 saw after all...
I did notice a site sponsor now has a listing for "grey market" Chinese saw parts.. I'll have to keep my eyes open for a piston just in case, or hope the price comes back down on fleabay.. I have noticed the prices are a bit lower, so maybe a good sign.. :hmm3grin2orange:

Guess

little quiet on the quake thread lately.....top this!
one of these saws has a MM and has a dozen tanks of mix run thru it.....any idea which one? :hmm3grin2orange:
Oregon does a nice job on the bar finish on these high end saws....:msp_w00t:
attachment.php

View attachment 298190

The quake in the middle on the top row is used, the spikes got sawdust on them.:rock:

While over 125 Cedar fence post cut with the HUSKYQUAKE the last couple days

WILL YOU DANG PEOPLE LET THIS THREAD DIE,,,PLEASE!!!!!! if not I will be scraping some pennies together to buy another one:D:D

bad earthquake copy:hmm3grin2orange:

fxw8ww.jpg

fwmyc1.jpg

did some muffler modding a while back. done the same way i've done all of them on these. i use a 5/16" and a 27/64" drill bit. use the 5/16" to open up the stock port and a new one beside it. then use the 27/64" to open up the outer ports. smooth everything up, get everything cleaned out. these 2 openings combined with the stock holes inside seems to be a pretty good mix. add some heat to the outside deflector to shape it out a bit, slightly tilted 'up' to help keep it from melting anything. you can even still use the screen if need be.
i didn't have any black paint for the pics, but the muffler was painted the next day.
34dosbk.jpg

345ll7a.jpg

so, do the earthquake carbs have an accellerator pump in them? i know the ryobi versions do, and the throttle response is pretty sluggish if it isn't working. i haven't seen to many probems with them, actually pretty reliable unit. only a couple out of probably 10 or so of a mix of the ryobi's and redmax's. and they were user error issues.
it's hidden behind the throttle shaft. you have to remove the shaft to remove the pump. you'll notice on the back of the carb that there is a hole showing the throttle shaft. that's the access port for the pump piston and spring. there is a slot in the shaft and you need to turn it 180deg to be able to pull it out, otherwise the piston will act like a key in that slot, and you won't get the shaft out. can you dig it?
watch for the spring. they're fast and twitchy. also watch the o-ring on the piston. if you damage it in any way, you have to replace it. no way around it.
geeze it cleans up good. you'd never know it's worn out 2 bars and on the 3rd:givebeer:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back