dissecting an earthquake chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Missing bar nut and bent chain catcher. ETA: Looking at the picture, kinda seems the bar nuts might have melted the plastic a little...

IMG_0315_zpsa2202492.jpg

Broken tab on brake handle.

IMG_0317_zps3e3320ce.jpg

And might be why it was returned. It is very hard to get it lined back up, had to push up on the back kinda hard to get it to snap in. Finally got it in there and will see how it does. Hopefully it will distort back into shape, if not, may have to cut the tab off...

IMG_0324_zps5507d800.jpg

Looks like the brake was catching on the clutch drum a little bit or something.

IMG_0323_zps321a6bfa.jpg

And will have to look, never noticed it on the other one, but there appears to be a screw in a hose behind the clutch.

IMG_0321_zps10862c07.jpg

Tank vent?

Anyway too cold and late to see if she runs, cylinder looks good from plug hole, but will look closer tomorrow. Will do the carb screw mod tomorrow also, and see how she does.

Last edited:
Yup, that one looks like total crap. I'll send you $20 for postage and you send it to me so you don't have to deal with all the mess.:hmm3grin2orange:

I'm just trying to be a friend:D

$25 ??

$27.50 ??

LOL...

Naw, she might be a little... misfit, but me thinks she still a keeper... :)

LOL...

Naw, she might be a little... misfit, but me thinks she still a keeper... :)

I hate to say this about a Chinese saw, but... for $35 and an hour doing a muffler mod the little saws are hard to beat for their size. They copied an excellent design and seem to have done a fair job of it. The A/V is really pretty good, and all I've got have started right up and ran well. If a man wanted to keep it for years to come as a limber or "throw in the back" saw, just spend a little more time doing a port job and setting the squish to get that extra zip out of it, IMHO.

no I bought it a while back and I just haven't had any time to play with it. The fit of the plastic parts is horrible but the darn thing is holy hell strong on compression and started on the third pull. The clutch cover needs some rework a little filing and sanding.......very crude but at the moment very strong. Mine isn't for sale. It outruns my 024 by a considerable amount....I am going to play with it till one of us is dead. Chances are since I am 63 it will outlast me since I have so many other saws to play with.:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

typical chinese stuff every single component of this saw is built as light as possible.....I don't think it would stand much abuse. but it is rather lightweight....

I wonder what chinese loggers run...oh man :ices_rofl: I can just see it now! That almost sounds like a oxymoron...chinese logger!

Not trying to offend, but it just doesn't sound like it is all that common in china...I am sure they do have quite an industry...lots o housing and such to build.

2 billion people...a friend of mine has worked in china the last 3 or 4 years.....it is not what we have been led to believe.....yes most of the people are poor but they have the largest skyline in the world. The city dwellers live large.......just like here but more....

they can make a saw and ship it here for $30, what do you think it cost to buy it local......? They can ship it to canada and the guy in canada can ship it to michigan and still make money on it...crazy world we live in....

It is amazing. And it is true, the chinese have a booming middle class now, but that will hurt them in the long run, as companies are finding that bringing back manufacturing jobs is as, if not more cost effective than having everything made and assembled there.

They are no different than we are...we can build crap, too. But most of the chinese made stuff I have has come at a price for their workers who practically slave for what they produce. SAd when price points are a deciding factor in life. That said, my iPad and iPhone are phenomenal products...

This is the box my 2nd one came in today :laugh:

attachment.php

attachment.php

no packing at all

attachment.php

no file, no bottle of oil, but I did get a scwernch and a full tank of bar oil :rock:

looks like it had been used one time briefly

The Chinese thing use to be a huge thing when talking about it but it has settle down an awful lot

Just look around you at the things in your house you cars/trucks and see were parts are made for each and every thing you have :msp_smile:

That's true. You shouldn't blame China if something falls apart, blame whoever ordered it from China because when you get your product manufactured you have a choice in quality... most companies are cheap and want to save a buck. The company that makes these Earthquakes has plenty options in customization and quality for example, you'll find them in Alibaba and similar sites if you look around.

The point with these saws is that nobody wants to pay retail price for the China "issues." At these prices, we can take a chance and have some giggles no matter what the outcome.

Mine cost as much as the last dinner I had at an overrated fancy restaurant, and certainly has provided much more entertainment.

The point with these saws is that nobody wants to pay retail price for the China "issues." At these prices, we can take a chance and have some giggles no matter what the outcome.

Mine cost as much as the last dinner I had at an overrated fancy restaurant, and certainly has provided much more entertainment.

Couldn't have said it better. A++

I had to buy two Earthquake saws, since my wife would NEVER let me go to a "fancy overrated restaurant" without her - there's $80 for saws!!!

I can justify just about anything - to myself!

Last edited:
The world is coming to the end for a few people JMO :msp_wink:

Just read on the internet (so it has to be true) that at major brand chain saw company is have there saws made in "CHINA" since 2011 what is this world coming too ?

:dizzy:

Just read on the internet (so it has to be true) that at major brand chain saw company is have there saws made in "CHINA" since 2011 what is this world coming too ?

Who who who..Sound like an owl, huh?

Linke me up scotty!

those are stihls that are being made over there:msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin:

Small stihls parts from china...

Poulan huskies are I think chinese parts...

Dolmar ps32 is a chinese built saw

Not sure where my t435 was made...says sweden, but who knows?

Farm Boss...I think chinese parts...

I guess the question is who doesn't and why would american assembly line workers be better than chinese assembly line workers?

The biggest stink that I've been hearing about a certain brand of saw is it doesn't have any parts made in "CHINA". I just can't wait till they hear the news I wont say a word about it just can't wait to hear them talk now :msp_rolleyes:

Maybe it's because I've been buying these Earthquake chain saw's and selling them :msp_wink:

Just remember don't pull a Jimmy Jones and drink the (orange) KOOL AID :jester:

JMO

The biggest stink that I've been hearing about a certain brand of saw is it doesn't have any parts made in "CHINA". I just can't wait till they hear the news I wont say a word about it just can't wait to hear them talk now :msp_rolleyes:

Maybe it's because I've been buying these Earthquake chain saw's and selling them :msp_wink:

Just remember don't pull a Jimmy Jones and drink the (orange) KOOL AID :jester:

JMO

I just read that husqvarna sources 30% of parts from china and "other", up from 18% in 2008 and that they want that number even higher! It was in the 2011 fiscal year statement from husqvarna!

I might have a score on some Chineese saws coming, there is a guy I used to work with that imports kitchen cabinets and resells them at a huge markup, I told him to try and get me a price on a cargo container full of new saws and he said he would look into it, I figure it might be worth at least finding out what I could get as I'm sure the guy on the bay is making money.

I just read that husqvarna sources 30% of parts from china and "other", up from 18% in 2008 and that they want that number even higher! It was in the 2011 fiscal year statement from husqvarna!

Your talking dirty now someone will punish you :jester:

JMO

Latest posts

Back