dissecting an earthquake chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool. I'm new:msp_biggrin: What is it?

He painted an Earthquake orange for giggles. We were bored. I played around with one myself, that's why my avatar has an external air filter on it. Ported and modded with good chain they are fun.

I can't believe this thread is still going.

Really.

dd

Ok. Based on the knowledge I found on this site, I think I will get a Poulan Pro 5020AV from Amazon, with case $197. I will wait a day, so let me know if there is something else in that price range that I should get.

Thanks again for your help!

If I was needing a decent saw for around $200, I'd do this.
Stihl 026 20" Bar Ready To Cut

Most any market in the country will turn up a pretty nice one for just about that. While the Poulan you mention has its fans, few will likely dispute the 026, 026 pro or 260, 260 pro are really much better. Better yet, which will be more valuable if you sold it after cutting one tree?

You could also pick up a much maligned 290 or 029 any day of the week for that price. It will cut lots of wood. Probably be all the saw you ever want or need. But you would be well advised to wait for a clean 026, 026 pro, 260, or 260 pro. Steer clear of the ms170 & 180 IMHO. They simply fetch more than they're worth if that makes sense. Maybe worth $100 clean, lightly used. But any of the others would be far better built saws.

If you insist on going new. An Echo cs400 would be a solid choice. $300 at retail, see em around $200 on ebay a while back. Haven't checked lately.

If I was needing a decent saw for around $200, I'd do this.
Stihl 026 20" Bar Ready To Cut

Most any market in the country will turn up a pretty nice one for just about that. While the Poulan you mention has its fans, few will likely dispute the 026, 026 pro or 260, 260 pro are really much better. Better yet, which will be more valuable if you sold it after cutting one tree?

You could also pick up a much maligned 290 or 029 any day of the week for that price. It will cut lots of wood. Probably be all the saw you ever want or need. But you would be well advised to wait for a clean 026, 026 pro, 260, or 260 pro. Steer clear of the ms170 & 180 IMHO. They simply fetch more than they're worth if that makes sense. Maybe worth $100 clean, lightly used. But any of the others would be far better built saws.

If you insist on going new. An Echo cs400 would be a solid choice. $300 at retail, see em around $200 on ebay a while back. Haven't checked lately.

Thank you sir for the sound advice. I'll take it and start my search today. I'll let you know how it goes!

Just wanted to let all of the Quakeheads know that they are back up for sale. The price is not as good as when the thread started, but I think they are still a good deal. I had a lot of people admire my 38cc modded quake. When I saw these I found 3 other guys that wanted one. I contacted the seller, and they offered me the 45cc version for $45 a piece if I bought 4.

I can't wait for them to get here, and have another new Quake to play with!

Just wanted to let all of the Quakeheads know that they are back up for sale. The price is not as good as when the thread started, but I think they are still a good deal. I had a lot of people admire my 38cc modded quake. When I saw these I found 3 other guys that wanted one. I contacted the seller, and they offered me the 45cc version for $45 a piece if I bought 4.

I can't wait for them to get here, and have another new Quake to play with!

You can go to moreoutdoor4u.com and get the saws at a discount by using coupon code "ebay" in the shopping cart, for example, it makes the 38cc saw $39.60 with free shipping. This is getting too addictive.

Last edited:
Just bought another one - (CRAP!) A 4518 for $48.40 shipped. That's almost as good as the 3816 I got for $35 shipped a while ago.

"Hello - my name is Idiot, and I am a chainsaw addict!" "Hello Idiot!"

You know, I found a 4518 on ebay for $55$ shipped back in oct. Without knowing anything about earthquake saws other than made in china, I bought it just to see if its any good, I made the mistake of telling my son about it, and when he got done laughing about throwing my money away, he started doing some research on the saws and found this thread, By then I got the first one, no sawdust, hardly ran,,,So,,, I got another one,,You Know so when the first one blows up,,I got parts,,,well,,,I got to thinking. A lotta people like to borrow things,,,so its only logical to get a third to be a loner saw. Since I allready ordered a parts saw. Well to make a long story short, ,,, I got seven of em, all three sizes, gotta have at least 2 of each, right? And after my son seen mine, he ordered two of his own"to pratice porting on" trouble is, now his brother liked his ported 4116 so much, He is getting two of them. Has anybody killed one of these saws by useing the crap outta one yet?

Last edited:
OK. I'm in.... can't have too many chainsaws can you. less than $50!!! are you kidding me. I'll port and put a Nitrous fogger on mine and see how fast I can blow it up!

Maybe I'll port it and tune it to run on nitromethane with some sort of forced air injection..... hmmmm for $48 the possibilities are almost endless........

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk

OK. I'm in.... can't have too many chainsaws can you. less than $50!!! are you kidding me. I'll port and put a Nitrous fogger on mine and see how fast I can blow it up!

Did you try the nitrous yet? I broke down and have a 4518 coming and was thinking the same thing, was just worried about sending the flywheel into orbit.

Going to get mine end of the week... talking to my local 2 stroke expert tomorrow and we are going to work something out for it.... the video may be boring or really spectacular in a variety of ways.... will have to wait and see what happens....

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk

This thread is like my wife, it just wont go away................. And by the way I picked up a 4518 and have been running the dog crap out of it but dont tell anyone lol. The one I got had been fueled but never fired. Was brand new. :)

Last edited:
What's the price on an 18" Oregon Bar & Chain? $48 with free shipping...not horrible...not great...but throw in a free like-new chainsaw engine...WOW!

Latest posts

Back