dissecting an earthquake chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both of mine appear used. Not a ton, but used. Both bars look new, one saw has paint burnt off of the deflector. Both pull over real stout. I took the gas cap off of one, smells fresh, both saws look very promising. I don't think a guy is going to go wrong having a few extra of these. Once they are gone we are all going to wish we had bought more!

The last few I have seen folks get are new I wonder if there just selling new ones at that price? Mine was new just not in an earthquake box just a plain box. Bar still had paint on the rails and chain was new in the bag. Maybe was a damaged box? There just seems to be to many new saws being delivered.

A few of mine have obviously been Sears returns. In their original box, VERY SLIGHTLY used, and with the remnants of a Sears "Closeout" sticker on them. I don't think it was "buy one, use it to clean up storm damage, then return it" It looked more like enough use for one test cut through one branch. I dunno.

I am not much into the whole rep thing, but why in the world am I getting negative rep for posts? I wont loose sleep over it, but I don't understand why- or why there is even a negative rep available. I don't say anything offensive or off color on here, if I have it has been a looong time.

I am not much into the whole rep thing, but why in the world am I getting negative rep for posts? I wont loose sleep over it, but I don't understand why- or why there is even a negative rep available. I don't say anything offensive or off color on here, if I have it has been a looong time.
Don't even worry about it, there's a few miserable trolls that suck at life rolling through here every now and then. So, your saws showed I see! Got em running yet?

Just bought 2 more 38 ccer's for $44 a piece. I bought 2 brand new from cabelas for $79.99 each. If these are good, then the brand new ones are going back. Great thread guys! I will be doing my first muffler mod on these when I get back from my business trip in Fl in 2 weeks.

Guys can some one help describe the differences pros/cons of the 38/14" compared to the 45/18"? I am considering a 38cc purely because it comes with a 14" bar already... (Or if I bought another 4518 and bought a 14" and chain I would have spare parts for my 4518, -AND- a killer 45cc/14" bar saw, hell that would be pretty trick..)

Wonder what a bar/chain combo would cost for a 45cc? There are just too many options with this EQ family deal that this moreoutdoor4u deal presents, darned it- why at Christmas time?- I have NO free fundage!

Just go to moreoutdoor4u.com click on chainsaws go to the bottom and click which saw you want. Before checkout enter eBay and boom goes the discount.

I have a ps5105 now w a 20" bar. I just want a small lightweight limbing saw. So I bought 2!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea coupons still work. I got a 38 cause of 14" and lightness.

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk

My 45cc saws just showed. Two days and they showed up. I just ordered two of the 38cc saws too. Stocking stuffers for the kids. :)

Don't even worry about it, there's a few miserable trolls that suck at life rolling through here every now and then. So, your saws showed I see! Got em running yet?

Thanks buddy. Havent messed with them yet, I think I will here this evening. I do have a couple small projects that need some quick attention, but plan on atleast getting some run time in on one of these tonight. I am impressed with the quality, the price, and I firmly believe we have an ample parts supply with Remax, which we will all have to dig into eventually. I will report back later on..

Something I noticed just now and find extremely strange. Look here at this screen capture just now. There is no(any size) in stock New saws if u click them it saw out of stock and there is no way to add to cart. But they selling used ones by the truck load?? Makes u wonder?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1386517841329.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386517841329.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 22
The sheer volume of saws that it appears that they are attempting to move- it almost seems to me that an overseas vendor made thousands too many by some sort of mistake. There must be some explanation for moving such great saws at such a price. (Sounds like most are new)

Something I noticed just now and find extremely strange. Look here at this screen capture just now. There is no(any size) in stock New saws if u click them it saw out of stock and there is no way to add to cart. But they selling used ones by the truck load?? Makes u wonder?

Ever do business with, or know someone involved with contract purchasing for big box store anybody? They own the souls of their merchandise suppliers, one way or another. They either rake them over the coals with slotting fee's to allow their product in for sale or they hold them hostage for merchandise returns for unsold stock and customer returns.
It's not to unrealistic they got a container full of saws back from more than one retailer that will sell it new and take it back no questions asked. People buy things all the time with the intent of using it and returning it.

They simply might have boxed and shipped the remainder of their "new" inventory at the used prices and still made money at it. I got plenty of brand new ones at the used price that had never had the boxes opened. Ardisam has an office in China, no doubt is the point of origin importer of the saws among their other product lines. One division sells them to big box anyone to make a buck and another buys them back at a loss and third one peddles them off for a profit.

Welcome to Corporate America, for once the consumer really got a good deal on account of it.

Last edited:
Got mine today the 45 was new, never seen wood, no box, no chain but new bar. Had a chain in the shop, and went to add fuel and there was bar oil in the fuel tank. Wonder why that one came back? LOL The 41 had some real fine saw dust on it here and there and a barely used bar and chain. Chain would not fit down in the bar groove. Took a closer look at the chain and it had the tell tale burrs on the drivers from being run backwards, Fired both up and went out and cut wood. The 45 is a HECK of a lot more saw than the 41 as somebody said a few pages back. Happy with my saws for $98 spent.

These are just junky toys, they can't do any real work.

CS3816Log-1024.jpg

It's an old Laser bar with a 59DL loop of TriLink Lo Pro (seemed appropriate, and works very well). Still 16" but with a bigger diameter nose sprocket.

The latest (and final) porting work:
IMG_5844-1024.jpg IMG_5846-1024.jpg IMG_5849-1024.jpg

The timing is:

E = 151deg
I = 157deg
T = 110deg

Spark is advanced a couple of degrees. Also, I fixed the oil leaks and now it is dry as a bone sitting on the bench. Starts in 2-3 pulls every time.

Was just getting ready to order one and my wife gives me the "Brian- just wait" conversation...

:)

I love Christmas time and wife's that are so predictable... :)

Also, I fixed the oil leaks and now it is dry as a bone sitting on the bench. Starts in 2-3 pulls every time.

Where did you find the oil leaks, and what does it take to fix them. 3 out of 4 of mine are leaking oil, I just haven't had the time to look into it yet.

Latest posts

Back