dissecting an earthquake chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello--can you or anyone else who has modified their Earthquake cs4518 offer a beefier bar and chain for the same model? I see lots of information about boosting the saw's performance but little to nothing about a better bar or chain.

Thank you.

The Oregon Double Guard that comes with em isn't a bad bar. It's decent as far as homeowner type bars go. There aren't a lot, maybe any, pro bars that come in the A095 mount these saws use. With some modding (drilling oiler holes in the bar or widening the oil cavity in the saw), an A041 mount which is somewhat more common will fit, but really, it's not necessary or likely worth the time and effort.

Chains are easy. Go to your local saw shop and grab a loop of Oregon 91VXL62. It's fast cutting non-"safety" (IE not low kickback) chain. Under $20 at a decent shop.

Guys said they were small husky mount on the 45?

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk

Best bar for saws that use the 3/8 low pro that I have been around is the Oregon Pro 91 series. I cant deal with those small nose radius double guard bars. I am ready to take off for Chi town and dont have time to go look but I found the mount numbers for both the 41 and 45, One is bar mount 095 and the other 041 cant remember which is which? Or go to Oregon's web site selector tool, earthquakes are on the list. Just snagged a brand new 16" pro 91 for the 41 on flea bay for $12 Hee Hee! Oregon's newest 3/8 low pro chain copies the long cutter of the Carton chains I think it is 91XL? I have no experience with it. I use Carlton N-1C on all of my low pro equipped saws, no reason to try anything else.

Best bar for saws that use the 3/8 low pro that I have been around is the Oregon Pro 91 series. I cant deal with those small nose radius double guard bars. I am ready to take off for Chi town and dont have time to go look but I found the mount numbers for both the 41 and 45, One is bar mount 095 and the other 041 cant remember which is which? Or go to Oregon's web site selector tool, earthquakes are on the list. Just snagged a brand new 16" pro 91 for the 41 on flea bay for $12 Hee Hee! Oregon's newest 3/8 low pro chain copies the long cutter of the Carton chains I think it is 91XL? I have no experience with it. I use Carlton N-1C on all of my low pro equipped saws, no reason to try anything else.
I like the larger tipped bars too, which is why I have that old Laser bar on my CS3816. I also have a couple of those 16" Tiger branded bars that Bailey's was selling with a loop of Carlton for like $13, and they have larger tips too. I need to get some 18" bars with larger diameter tips for my GZ4000, but for the most part the small tipped bars work OK. Look at it this way - for the same number of DL the narrow tip bars are slightly longer.....

I've not run anything but regular 3/8 050 full chisel chain for some time, these low pro chains are a piece of cake to slap a new edge on. I kind of like 'em actually, took a swipe off each of the rakers and put my edge on the chains that came with these, I think they cut nicely and throw a pretty mean chip. Much easier to hand sharpen in a hurry

Baileys had a 13" .325 (Carlton/ Tiger) a while back for next to free. Bought 3 of them, wish I would have bought more. I do think I am going to keep lp on mine for now, but go to a 12" bar or so, or whatever I can get short.
Havent got the muffler welded back up. If I cant find the time this weekend, I have a few days off next week.

I just found this thread. I've been trying to figure out who made the 5 yr. old Craftsman "Professional" yellow-cased saw I have. Right there on the first page of this thread is the Redmax GZ. Absolutely identical in all but color. Now I wonder if it's worth fixing after all, assuming p/c are not the issue. Not trying to hijack a thread, just found this one interesting as I've been so curious who made this saw.

I just found this thread. I've been trying to figure out who made the 5 yr. old Craftsman "Professional" yellow-cased saw I have. Right there on the first page of this thread is the Redmax GZ. Absolutely identical in all but color. Now I wonder if it's worth fixing after all, assuming p/c are not the issue. Not trying to hijack a thread, just found this one interesting as I've been so curious who made this saw.

I have one in the basement. It is a Zenoah "Strato charged" engine. With a muffler mod, a sharp chain and well tuned carburetor it is a demon of a 40 / 41 cc saw. Quite impressive. Also light and easy handling.

So, you already know who made it but what's it's malfunction? Throw it in the mix (maybe start a new thread) and we'll help you get it running.

I have one in the basement. It is a Zenoah "Strato charged" engine. With a muffler mod, a sharp chain and well tuned carburetor it is a demon of a 40 / 41 cc saw. Quite impressive. Also light and easy handling.
Yup, I have one too. I got it cheap with a bad oil pump drive gear - I popped on a spare adjustable Earthquake pump & gear, modded the muffler and it's a great saw. I blended/matched the lower transfers to the case/gasket, but otherwise the engine is stock. The GZ4000 is a powerful saw for 40cc, IMO the best saw in that class bar none.

Hello all,
Can anyone tell me how the large Quake compares to my Stihl 023 if the muffler is modded and the carb adjusted? Will the Quake be more powerful than the 023?

Thanks,
Ray

:) small quake just outside StL today. My 3814 arrived. Only packing material used was a plastic bag to contain the leaking oil (unsuccessful). Everything is certainly well lubricated.

Bar and chain look new. No files, or scrench. Before mounting the bar I had to clean some unidentified dark gray sludge from the clutch cover and brake. Had some saw dust scattered throughout. Can't imagine what created that stuff. Gave her a splash of mix and some bar oil, and gave er a yank. Fired on the third pull. It's came set pig rich. No daylight left & ready for dinner so it'll have to wait till tomorrow.

For anyone reading this that hasn't laid hands on one yet, it rather resembles a Fisher Price toy. Largely due to the aforementioned giant red chain brake handle. The 14" bar only serves to further emphasize the brake handles enormity.

I'm considering the muff mod Chris PA described on page 134. Cutting it open and welding it back doesn't really appeal. More of a fast and dirty type.

Hello all,
Can anyone tell me how the large Quake compares to my Stihl 023 if the muffler is modded and the carb adjusted? Will the Quake be more powerful than the 023?

Thanks,
Ray

This was a few pages back. Comparing to the 025.
This was a reply to a similar question.

I'll try to answer that. I have an older 025 with the fully adjustable carb and a muffler mod. The Quake, bone stock, will not stay up with it. Close, but not quite. With the muffler mod on the Quake, 325 chain and a re-tune on the carb it will run with the 025 and maybe just a touch faster. The 025 is also running 325 chain.

I have a 46 cc Poulan. It's the 2800 model, back when Poulan was making real saws. The 2800 has a muffler mod and is running 325 chain. The Quake will not keep up with the 2800. It isn't a lot slower, but it's enough to be noticed. I only have one Wild Thing that will beat the Quake. That particular saw was a test project for MasterMind and I know it has to be running over 15,000 rpm. Wicked fast.

My Shinny 488 will be neck and neck with the modded Quake. The Shinny is bone stock, not so much as a muffler mod. It has the carb with no high side adjustment.

Also, keep in mind I haven't run more than 5 tanks through the Quake. It may get a bit faster when the rings seat and I figure out the best bar and chain combo. Maybe all my rambling will give you an idea about the saw. On a side note, NOTHING I have will oil as well as the 45 cc Quake does. Not even close.

dd

Yes its the cheeper ones everyones buying, most are only slightly used, I have not heard that any one has got a bad or broken saw, I did read that someone got a cracked handle due to the way they are packaged

Latest posts

Back