Disturbing crud

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back on topic do you leave gas sitting in the tank for any length of time? Also what oil do you use? Some oils will separate from the fuel and could possibly build up on the inside of your tank.

This fuel only sat for a couple days, and Im using either Husky or Stihl synthetic oil. (have some bottles of both, don't remember which I used on that particular bottle.)

I'll post a pic after this weekend. Its really strange.
I used the same gas in a couple other saws as well, and the tanks are clean, which leads me to believe that theres a clump of stuff that just fell in when I was fueling, and it settled to the bottom when it sat there for a few days.

Does the coffee filter hold up for more than one use?
Not trying to be cheap here, but just wondering.
If it works it seems like a good way to keep the fuel clean.

Coffee filters do work, but the tranfer is rather slow...... Can you use more than once? Probably, but why when you can buy a package of 50 for like one dollar. Never thought of a paint strainer, but I like it.;)

I've never done the coffee filter thing for saw gas, if gas is of a questionable nature it doesn't go in my high revving 2 strokers. But I have strained gas of a questionable quality for use in my 4 cylce push lawnmower, rototiller and such.

IMG_1554.jpg

IMG_1547.jpg

SO? Anybody have an idea what this stuff is???
i don't even understand what "refinery sludge" is.
This junk is like a tootsie roll.

Looks like ear wax to me. May just be a blob of tree resin or an old piece of melted fuel hose..? I see all sorts of crap in fuel tanks.

Nope, It was in my one gallon mix container too, and the saw is relatively new. This means that it had to be right out of the pump. Thats what has me all fired up.

Dead Racoon in the station gas tank? It's probably some junk stirred up in the underground tank by a recent delivery... you must have drawn the short straw.

Last edited:
I'll send it to ya if you want.
Its literally like road tar, smells like gas, pliable like I said, reminds me in color and texture of a tootsie roll.
Not a dead raccoon, some petroleum based thing.

Looks like HUM Bugs (hydrocarbon utilizing micro-organisims). Really, they do exist, when I was in Saudi Arabia for Dessert Storm they were a royal PITA. They would grow inside fuel injection pumps and raise all kinds of problems. They live in water molecules and eat hydrocarbons. Drain your fuel tank, flush with alcohol and use clean gas.

You been letting your saw hang around with Stihl saws? Maybe you oughta keep a closer eye on your saw there. You use Stihl oil or Stihl chains, and your saw will have been with every piece of crud that Stihl saws have been in, and then no one will want your saw.

Latest posts

Back