Dividing Hostas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where you are, I'd consider cutting them WAY back to divide and transplant in summers' heat. I agree that you can divide and transplant them pretty much anytime, but I doubt that the shocked root systems would be able to sustain all the leaf surfaces properly after being transplanted if they weren't cut back appropriately.

The hostas here are just now coming out of the ground and I'll be dividing and potting them up in about a week.

You can divid them now. Here in VA I wait until the end of August. I cut the leaves back so that the plants energy is used to heal itself and form new roots. By dividing them a month or two before the first frost lets you enjoy seeing your hostas grow in the spring. By late summer early fall the plants are not looking their best anyway and so by dividing them then allows them time to leaf out again which is alway exciting. I think it's also easier on the plant... I've done it this way ever since I've grown hostas and have had excellent results!

Latest posts

Back