DIY Cant Hook

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yhesuru8.jpg

1/2 rebar about 3' long with a old cut off u bolt off an old ford truck axle. T handle is just rebar same with the end spike. All welded together quickly with 7018 rod. Down and dirty I was in a hurry to see if I would actually like one before I bought one but this one works so well I haven't needed to spend the money.

I made this one some years back. Handle was .120 wall and the hook was cut out of .250 or .375 sheet. Heavy as ****, but I never worried about breaking a handle :laugh:

DSC09301Medium.jpg

IMG00929-20091013-2052Medium.jpg

I made one so close to that it isn't even funny , my tube is aluminum though otherwise very close. Also made a log carrier at the same time.
Not sure how to get pictures on here but will see what I can do

Nice job!!

Just doing some googling and the peavy was an improvement on the cant hook...
The peavey was named for blacksmithJoseph Peavey of Upper Stillwater, Maine, who invented the tool as a refinement to the cant hook (also known as a "cant dog") in the 1850s. Many lumberjacks use the terms interchangeably, though a peavey will have a spike in the end of the handle, and a cant dog will have a blunt end or possibly small teeth for friction

Interesting, what do you guys prefer to use and why?

JT

I use cant hook since I mostly use it to roll logs over , cut top , roll log and finish cut.
I think a peavy is designed to be able to stick the point between logs that tend to be more in a pile.

Just doing some googling and the peavy was an improvement on the cant hook...

Interesting, what do you guys prefer to use and why?

JT

I use cant hook since I mostly use it to roll logs over , cut top , roll log and finish cut.
I think a peavy is designed to be able to stick the point between logs that tend to be more in a pile.

^^This is also why I chose cant hook over peavey design. Both have their place, but cant style was slightly more useful to me.

here is mine
Sorry if pictures are bad or wrong size , first attempt to post pictures

Edit: Well that was a complete failure , Sorry guys ( & gals ) wish I could post them for you to see.

On this forum you have to post your photos online somewhere like photobucket then put the link to the photo in the magic box that appears when you clidk on the photo icon to the right of the smiley face.

JT

I made a hookaroon but added a straight spike on it. I found this tool very useful. I can pull, push, roll and lift with it. Cutting half thru a log then rolling is easy. With the forward spike I stick in the ground and it is always easy to grab.

I made a hookaroon but added a straight spike on it. I found this tool very useful. I can pull, push, roll and lift with it. Cutting half thru a log then rolling is easy. With the forward spike I stick in the ground and it is always easy to grab.

Do you have a photo of it?

JT

JT do you use photobucket? I can send you some pictures if you can post them. I tried to set-up photobucket but for some reason it will not work on this computer. Computers and I do not always get along.

I have some legacy photos on photobucket, now I just post them to my web site. When they changed photobucket a while back it really got to be a pia to use.

JT

Back