Do ants make trees unsafe?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do ants make trees unsafe?

• Yes, they are bad for trees because...

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • No, they are never bad for trees.

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Even the worst ants are not serious pests.

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Only the Australian Mystery Ant is evil.

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Tom Dunlop said:
"Opening up to new ideas that are based on research is a way to learn. You don't have to accept all of the research but it seems pretty limiting to me if you deny it all."

Who's research?

That statement goes BOTH ways, Tom. To dismiss what TreeMachine and I have been "playing" with is pretty limiting, too.

All the research I've read on the issue is more concerned with the biological aspect, and none on the engineering. Trees are wonderful living organisms, but they're also feats of engineering; when one steps back and looks at the engineering involved, one gets a bigger picture of what KEEPS a tree standing. What MAKES some woods stronger than others? How much wood is enough to keep a tree from failing at a given point? These are engineering questions, not biology alone.

Give it some honest thought. :)

Last edited:
Derek said:
For all your expertise, [edit], and thanx for jumping in a month late,

YES ANTS ARE BAD FOR TREES [ heaps of editing]

Next time you have some imput, get some advice, try AS ..You MIGHT learn somthing..Ohhh but you will have to read it first, not go by the title and add your piddely bit..

Hmmmm, mabey I WAS the first to bring the baggage from the [editited]thread to here, my responce to [edited]

My appoliges are offered to all [edited].

Just saw a "year in reveiw" type show on Sky news, [edited in the name of "getting along"]

Or do i get another warning?? or banned? and dont need it anymore..Derek.

ENOUGH OF THE ANTS, CERTAINLY MY LAST POST ON THE SUBJECT!!!!!!!!!!!

guess it wasent my last post after all?..this should be though.. i hope we can get over it now, Derek..

Last edited:
I know the Oxman thread, but I try to leave what happens "over there"... well, there.

Don't sweat the small stuff, Derek. You're always welcome here.

Since the original question was "what has been your experience here" I thought I would add my one cent worth.
On the coast I have seen carpenter ants enlarge their galleries significantly in Western Red Cedar and also in Douglas Fir to a lesser degree.
This enlargment was into sound wood past what looked like it had been affected by decay organisms.
In the cedar, I have seen trees on houses that had snapped 3 to 4 ft off the ground that had a healthy looking canopy.
I think that some rot must be present first then as the colony gets larger they will mine into sound wood if the colony population requires.
I have seen many cedars with large frass piles that looked the same color and texture as what comes off the woodmizer when milling sound wood.
But all this is just my 1 cent worth and I think our west coast ants run Husky saws. :)

I didn't know about this thread. For anyone interested, I posted an interesting photo I shot under the chainsaw forum thread name "carpenter ants love SOFT wood". It won't let me upload it here also.

DanMan1 said:
I didn't know about this thread. For anyone interested, I posted an interesting photo I shot under the chainsaw forum thread name "carpenter ants love SOFT wood". It won't let me upload it here also.
Here you go.

attachment_19950.php

i talked about trunk flare earlier.kids cubby house in line of fall of this tree.the last pics for mike, see there keeping there tunnel open.camera phone pics.

Back