Do ants make trees unsafe?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do ants make trees unsafe?

• Yes, they are bad for trees because...

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • No, they are never bad for trees.

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Even the worst ants are not serious pests.

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Only the Australian Mystery Ant is evil.

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
so what are you saying mike?,there good for trees :rolleyes: if shigo said it i must be wrong.if its not in his books it doesnt exist,when youve got a real argument let me know :)

i find it funny that mikes studied pictures from a cell phone camera :)

Mike, I think the relevant issue is whether or not the ants' removal of even unsound wood can weaken the tree structurally enough to cause failure at least sometimes, not whether the ants themselves are the cause of the decay. Hence, the CODIT issue is irrelevant.

No, not all trees with ants are unsafe. But, in my opinion, yes- ants can make trees unsafe.

how about mike show a picture of anything,one pic of feeding a chipper with so much knowledge hmmmmm..............

more MM knowlage?

For all your expertise, MM , and thanx for jumping in a month late,

YES ANTS ARE BAD FOR TREES!..Rembember there is a world outside your tiny little mind, even other countries..Cause i doubt you know...

How do you, a TERRORIST supporter feel about ants in trees, are they invaiding something they shouldent, this would be cool with you??

Next time you have some imput, get some advice, try AS ..You MIGHT learn somthing..Ohhh but you will have to read it first, not go by the title and add your piddely bit..

Derek... dude... simmer down. *warning*

While I disagree in large part to Mike's ascertion, is that tone necessary?

Mike, you ROCK!

big_hang_loose.gif

I think that the tree fooled the ants into thinking they were safe . They didn't know about aussie. The tree really made the ants unsafe. Aussie you HOMEWRECKER. :p

Mike Maas said:
Are you saying that tree died from ants, or ants moved in after the tree started dying?

i didnt say anything
:angel: :angel:

ants dont really bother me,there getting a feed, im cutting the tree down everyones happy :)

The ants have helped make it more unsound,there not helping matters,maybe they could just not eat! http://arborist.************/attachment_19495.php

shigo noticed a few things on a trip down here(not related to ants)ill be honest mike that tree was in wet ground pushing the dirt into the cavity the ants created :)

Mike Maas said:
I

[deletion]

The ants don't enlarge the nest first, then it decays.
Shigo even noticed that trees with ants had decay slowed down. He felt it was a good thing to have ants in trees.

Yea ants, yea ants. I'll only flame an anti ant person cause it's correct.

Jack

another "reader"

Tom Dunlap said:
Erik,

Have you found out how strong decayed wood is compared to healthy wood? I'll bet that when you do find that stat you'll see that air is only a smidgeon stronger than decayed wood.

Until I started reading books and info on webpages I had a really uneducated eye. What I saw was really not what was happening. Make flush cuts and the wound seals faster on the outside but is larger on the inside. A good friend of mine had completely grey hair by the time he was thirty. Does that make him "old"?

Your eyes are seeing two things that are related. It seems that you're tying the two observations together with bull rope instead of sewing thread. Decay, ants and weak wood are only weakly related.

Opening up to new ideas that are based on research is a way to learn. You don't have to accept all of the research but it seems pretty limiting to me if you deny it all.

Tom
:rolleyes:

Back