Do any stoves last longer than 24 hours on a fill?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeanBrown3D

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I think I heard once of a stove that could run 42 hours off one fill of wood. Don't remember what it was. I want a stove that can last from around midnight to 7pm, that's nearly 20 hours. Any recommendations?

i would assume it all depends on the wood, and the flue settings. i mean if you tossed in cedar or pitchy pine your fire would go poof where as a large chunk of oak would burn for quiet a long time. also a larger fire box so that you could place 2-3 pieces of large diameter slow buring wood would be a plus. growing up we had a blaze king and it kept a fire going for 1/2 a day or more.

WIth the right type and size of wood and the right settings many stoves could meet that requirement. I have a quadrafire and they say some of there modles can last 24 hours, while mine does not I also tend to burn small pieces and moderate hard wood with an open flue so I only get 6 hours or so normally with the vents low and a big piece of oak I have gotten over 8 hours but that also means a low output fire so there is a trade off in the amount of energy to the length of time the fire lasts.

SO drop your vent way down and add a large (almost the size of the fire box size of hardwood and you can get a fire that last a long time (becareful the fire might go out and fires with a very little vent tend to smoulder and produce a lot of chimey cloging crap.)

DeanBrown3D said:
I think I heard once of a stove that could run 42 hours off one fill of wood. Don't remember what it was. I want a stove that can last from around midnight to 7pm, that's nearly 20 hours. Any recommendations?

I have not seen any stoves that claim anywhere near a 24 hour burn time. When I was researching new stoves last year, the best claims I saw for the larger EPA cat and non-cat stoves that I recall was about 10 hours or so. My stove, a Jotul Oslo, has a 70K btu output and will burn for about 8 hours on a full load of oak at a reduced output.

I would think to get really long burn times you would need a very large stove. The problem is that if the stove gets too big, it will heat you right out of the room it is in. Maybe if someone developed an auto wood loader that would solve the problem.

Tom

my JUCA custom insert has a 12 cubic feet firebox.

it'll hold a LOT of wood! preferred choice of wood once fire gets established is large green logs 2ft X 10in dia.

it'll burn for a long time...

Green Wood?

Ill bet itll burn for a while:dizzy:

Wasnt that the stove whos website had so much bull???? (300 pages?) on it that it was impossable to figure out just how they claimed their stove worked?

as an owner of 1 wood boiler and 2 stoves i say nothing will burn for 24 hours.
the best dry birch with the best stove will go 12 maybe 14 but after that your are asking someone to feed you some bull!@#$.
my outdoor boiler will go 96 hours in the summer with nothing running off it.
my indoor will have a small fire in it for 24 hours but it heats about as much as a candle .
if you want long burn with no refill you may want to look at corn / pellet/ grain burners.
why do you need a 20 hour burn??
sounds like you want to leave it while out of the house??
not a good idea .

shayne

Not a stove...

Our OWB will go 24 hours easy with a full fill of logs. And keep the house heated to 72 degrees F. I usually fill it 1/2 to 3/4 full in the morning and the next morning there are a few half burned logs and coals in there that are still hot from the day before. I rake them forward and toss in another load of wood and that's it. Sometimes I will poke it at night, or add wood if it burned through some light decayed wood during the day, or we used a lot of hot water. On a cold night it will burn all the way down, but there is always enough heat and coals left to light the next load in the morning, especially after there is a good bed of ash in there.

Now, we live in mild Orygun here where the lowest temp I can remember was 8 degrees above zero F. But... we have a smaller OWB that is only rated at 250k BTU. There are much larger rated OWBs out there.

My dads got a ashland stove, made from the amish here locally, and its a baseburner. You get a good hot coalbed, then load it up to the top and close the bypass damper. It burns wood from the bottom only, so as it uses wood, it drops. He has had a fire for 12 to 14 hours in his. Its pretty much the same thing as an old riteway. It will throw out the heat. He heats about 3200 square feet.

if you want heat that lingers, even after the fire goes out, put 5" iron slabs on the top of the stove. It will radiate heat for around 10 - 12 hours after the fire dies down. Lil trick an old friend showed me. He used old railroad tracks, cut with a cutting torch.

how bad does your outdoor wood burner smoke?

here's a link that slams OWB's http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/air/AOP_Permits/Boiler/Outdoor_Boilers_home.html

my custom JUCA insert that loves large green logs, barely puts out smoke with green logs. with seasoned wood, it's hard to see the smoke JUCA puts out.

windthrown said:
Our OWB will go 24 hours easy with a full fill of logs. And keep the house heated to 72 degrees F. I usually fill it 1/2 to 3/4 full in the morning and the next morning there are a few half burned logs and coals in there that are still hot from the day before. I rake them forward and toss in another load of wood and that's it. Sometimes I will poke it at night, or add wood if it burned through some light decayed wood during the day, or we used a lot of hot water. On a cold night it will burn all the way down, but there is always enough heat and coals left to light the next load in the morning, especially after there is a good bed of ash in there.

Now, we live in mild Orygun here where the lowest temp I can remember was 8 degrees above zero F. But... we have a smaller OWB that is only rated at 250k BTU. There are much larger rated OWBs out there.

OWBs do not smoke like WA & NY claim

Geez, I get enough anti-OWB posts over on the OWB ban thread. Here in OR it is not an issue like in NY and VT, or even WA. The web site you refer to shares the same disinformaion that the one in NY does. Short stacks, bad smoke, yadda yadda. Not true. :bang:

Our OWB is a Central Boiler. One of the best ones out there. It has a high stack above the roofline, and we could get a taller one if we wanted or needed it. We do not. Our few neighbors mostly heat with old firepalces and wood stoves that smoke far more than our boiler does. It really does not smoke very much, even when the damper opens. Very briefly there is a flush of smoke for maybe 30 seconds and then it tapers off. When the damper is closed there is hardly any smoke at all.

I am including two photos of our boiler from a few weeks ago. This is with the OWB burning seasoned dry Doug fir on a 40 degree day. The first photo is when the damper has just opened, and the second is when the damper is closed. Yes, that is all there is; a minute amount of smoke that comes out when the damper is closed. This unit smokes less than our outside air supply EPA fireplace insert, and the fireplace insert is completely USELESS to heat the house with. Well, it will heat the livingroom where it is, but that's it. We have a 2200 sq ft ranch house... the OWB heats both our hot water and our hydronic floor heater system. We save $220 a month using the OWB vs our electric water heater and boiler. It has been on place for about a year now, and we love it. :laugh:

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=38424&d=1159485137
http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=38425&d=1159485268

my outdoor boiler only smokes alot when i burn old tires in it.....:D
why is smoke such an issue anyway??
my closest neibor is a half mile away and i never smoke him out.
there are always some wackos trying to stop anything .
I am sure i could heat my house for a year on the amount of gas a hummer drinks in a week of commuting .
burn a few logs and wah wah wah too much smoke .
there are small camps here in canada that have 2 boilers heating 12 houses and everyday you get one member of a house to fill them and thats 11 days of heat for 1 day of filling wood.
thats a long burn.
back to the original question .
why do you need a 20 hour burn????

shayne

Windtrhown,

I totally agree with you on the smoke issue. i used to own a Pacific Western OWB and it did not smoke at all. just heat vapors like your is doing in the pics. I sold mine because it ( along with all the other owb's) was terribly inefficient and I was sick of burning 12-14 cords a year to heat my house. I sold it and went with an AHS multifuel boiler. It is way nicer having the boiler inside the garage anyway.
But as for as smoke goes with OWB's they are all full of it.

Improved efficiency

I find that if I fill our OWB 2x a day with half the wood instead of stuffing it full once a day I get better efficiency from burning my wood. Mainly becasue not as much wood sits in there all day to heat up, gasify and turn to charcoal and creosote. Smaller fire = less wasted energy. It seems that the wood gas and heat potential from that process escapes in the standard wood boilers during idle time, and not in the more efficient secondary burning chambers of units like yours.

The problem that I have with the indoor type boilers is that while they are more efficient, they are more expensive and oddly, no indoor units that I know of can be placed outdoors like an OWB; free-standing and away from or next to the house. We do not have any room for a boiler in the house or garage area. Also from my experience, the OWB that we have is far more efficient than our indoor EPA outside-air supply certified fireplace. We hardly use the fireplace here any more. Bring in gobs of wood, and it burns and burns and burns, and it gives off little heat. Actually our house is so warm with the OWB that we do not need the psychological effect of a fire any more. So there is a big chared log in the fireplace that has been in there since before I fired up the OWB about a month ago.

So efficiency is relative. We also have a literally endless supply of firewood available here for the gathering, so we are not that keen on super high efficiency, especially at the difference in cost. :dizzy:

Actually my AHS boiler was cheaper than my OWB was. And it also has the automatic oil backup and coal grates, which my OWB did not. I burn mostly soft coal and it does a great job.

The wife really likes the fact that she doesn't have to stand outside in the cold anymore to load up the OWB while I'm at work anymore.

http://www.alternateheatingsystems.com/Multi-Fuel_boilers.htm

I tried to post a pick but it didn't work so here is the website

Cheaper than an OWB?

Cheaper? Hmmm.. if I may ask, what was the cost?

We do not have coal available here, and I would not want to burn oil at the cost per gallon now. We only have to feed the OWB once or twice a day... good exercise. Fun toy to place with (fire!) :hmm3grin2orange:

They also have a wood/oil boiler. Which I am sure would be cheaper because of the grate thing. I paid $5,500 but I got the cadillac version with a ton of bells and whistles which cost quite a bit more than standard. My OWB cost $6,000 and that was in '01

You might want to check out the Royall boilers also. I think they were around the $3,000 range because they don't offer the oil back up. or even check this guy out www.newhorizoncorp.com

Latest posts

Back