Do I need more power (log spliter)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MS-310

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have a 8hp B&S on my "home made" spliter. I have know Idea what this pump is off but the one thing I know is that when I get in to some thing nasty it will kill the motor. So should I put a 11hp honda on it or is it the valve....(just a little 3.5 clyinder on it)

I have a 8hp B&S on my "home made" spliter. I have know Idea what this pump is off but the one thing I know is that when I get in to some thing nasty it will kill the motor. So should I put a 11hp honda on it or is it the valve....(just a little 3.5 clyinder on it)

It does sound like a 'big pump, little motor' problem but if you can find some numbers on the pump, you should do a bit of research to find out just what the gallonage is before investing in a motor.

Harry K

Ms-310 - Sounds like you are running a single stage pump. Thats ok, but keep in mind, when most 2 stage pumps kick into low gear, that turns them into a very "small" pump (usually 1/4 of the original gpm rating). An 8 hp briggs will have a tough time running a 4 gpm single stage pump. Only options are more power, or 2 stage pump.

The 8 hp motor will handle up to a 16 gpm 2-stage pump if a relief valve is in the system, usually in the control valve. If no relief valve is in the system pressures could exceed 3000 psi. This could stall the engine and damage components.

Yes it is a single stage pump, and thanks for the input. The log valve has a "bypass" in it but it kills the motor before it bypasses I think, what does it do when the bypass is working.

thanks

Yes it is a single stage pump, and thanks for the input. The log valve has a "bypass" in it but it kills the motor before it bypasses I think, what does it do when the bypass is working.

thanks

Some will make a slight little "squeal" noise, some make no noise at all.
If you are running a single stage pump that is more than 4 gpm, your 8hp will not have enough grunt to get it to the "bypass" point, and that could be the reason it stalls the engine. One way to test this would be to put a gauge on the pressure side and see how much psi you get before it stalls out on ya.

You can reverse engineer the numbers to give a "guess" as to what size the pump is, as well as see if you are getting anywhere near the bypass pressure.

But just a guess, you are probably running a single stage pump that is too big for the hp you are running.

a crutch to the problem is a bigger cylinder, the trade of is speed, but with a bigger cyl you have a chance of generating enough pressure to split the log before their is to much of a load on the engine and thus stalling it. otherwise I agree with the other guys :cheers:

Latest posts

Back