Do stihls have more torque than husqvarna in general?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everybody I cut with runs stihl, I personally haven't had a chance to run any of the larger husky saws but would like to see the difference for myself

Yeah I bored out the inside of the muffler and opened up the port. The steel is tough and it took a bit longer than I thought it would. The honey comb design inside the muffler is hard to work out with just simple tools. If you have good cutters you might have better luck than I.
I wont even attempt it myself, I would like DozerDan to do a doul port like he did on his 346xp that I ran but not quite as big. That thing was a beast, it was also ported though. That will come after warranty.

Stock, my 044's felt like they had more torque than my 372 and my 460 felt stronger than my xpw. Its not a dunno but I could push them noticeably harder. A 395 has it all over a 066 so maybe in the smaller and mid Stihl's feel like they have more torque. An old Mac would likely have more torque than the Stihl and Husky put together.

I'd guess that it's not how much torque, but how flat the torque curve is on the lower side, that's driving these perceptions. Historically, higher engine performance comes with increased peakiness. (Some designs moderate this, like pent-roof multi-valve 4-strokes.)

When you really tumble from the peak, things go downhill.

More torque equals more rpm in the wood bottom line . I'm not saying that one brand has consistently more torque than the other, that's rediculous.

Please explain.... High school physics was 4 decades ago but I seem to recall torque as a measurement of force being applied around an axis.

So what you are telling me is an over the road tractor will generate more RPM's than the the car next to it on the highway because it has more torque?

Please explain.... High school physics was 4 decades ago but I seem to recall torque as a measurement of force being applied around an axis.

So what you are telling me is an over the road tractor will generate more RPM's than the the car next to it on the highway because it has more torque?

well said.

regards
-omb

More HP is more HP just like drag racing a car if you want a fast cutter get the High HP at High RPM it will cut faster.

If you want a more forgiving powerband get the saw with HP and torque that are lower in the RPM it will be an easier saw to use and may or may not pull a longer chain HP will always win a speed race.

A 5 hp saw will cut faster than a 4.5 HP saw if they both make the same RPM even if The 4.5 makes more torque at some point.

You can tune for torque or HP choose HP in a saw, need more torque grab a saw that is less oversquare( longer stroke) and larger displacement.

More torque equals more rpm in the wood bottom line . I'm not saying that one brand has consistently more torque than the other, that's rediculous.
ON the contrary! I use 7 spline sprockets 9 out of 10 times. I dont care about speed. I got all day. I like the torque 7 spline make over 8s. Slower yes but I like the lug power. Torque makes me happy with the 7 spline vs speed factor of 8. Its my liking.

I'm talking about comparing two saws that are similar in engine size with comparable hp. As in husky vs. stihl as the op stated, the one with more torque will hold more rpm in the wood. Is this difficult for you to understand?

I'm talking about comparing two saws that are similar in engine size with comparable hp. As in husky vs. stihl as the op stated, the one with more torque will hold more rpm in the wood. Is this difficult for you to understand?

Actually what you said is "More torque equals more rpm in the wood bottom line". Based on this theory a 1960's gear drive McCulloch should be the fastest saw available. Please help me understand your concept...

Two saws, same cc's, same Hp one of the them has more torque. Which one do you think will cut faster? Nobody is comparing diesel trucks or 1960 macs. Read the original post before you state ignorant comments.

Latest posts

Back