Do the Loggers and other pros use Stihl or Husky in your area?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say in my area, 70% Stihl and 30% Husky. Husky just doesn't have the dealer support in my area like Stihl does. Personally I prefer the Huskies! :msp_thumbup:

All the loggers here run husky 372 and a few 390's.

I use all Stihl.
Another crew was Stihl, got pissed at the Stihl dealer years ago, went to Husky, didn't like that move, then went back to Stihl.
Another uses a Modded 372 for a felling saw and stock 441's for bucking saws.
Another sawmill with two logging crews use all Stihl.
The cutters that come down and help me all use Stihl, except for one he uses 1 Jonsered and 1 Stihl.

Sam

I would say in my area, 70% Stihl and 30% Husky. Husky just doesn't have the dealer support in my area like Stihl does. Personally I prefer the Huskies! :msp_thumbup:
Use'd to be the same here. I am glad to see, being a lover of both brand's, husky is starting to grow more, and more. I am surprise'd, and wouldn't mind other brand dealer's coming in too. Echo is also big here.

Most people around here either use Stihl myself included or once used Stihl and now run a Husky. Example some guy only used to run a 036 & a 026. He switched to a 390XP and can not believe the power difference which I hope someone can notice lol. As for me Stihl is my choice.

Mostly Stihl, especialy in the landscaper/arborist market, mainly due to dealer support. We do have 1 good Husky dealer in the area who deals with loggers across a pretty large geographic area. For that target market, probably 70/30, advantage Stihl with Dolmar a small fraction.

Back in the day when logging was your town here we used McCulloch with roller nose bars big cc and two man saws. Now for production not a chance but in the late 70's early 80's the 056 Supers with a big fell'n bar was a loggers staple here in the PNW. Till this day I still run old yellows with a tuna can muffler and a big roller nose bar w/404.

066's dominated the logging industry 10 years ago ...but these days more and more are converting to husky 390, 395's ...the tree workers/ land clearing contractors are nearly all husky as well as the fencing/split post suppliers ...there's still a few die hard stihl boys around ....but husky is slowly starting to dominate, tho there's nothing wrong with stihl pro saws ....except them flippy flappy caps :hmm3grin2orange: lol

The Tree Monkeys keep the Stihl dealer busy in one town, but go the same distance in the other direction and they all are running Husky it seems. More of a dealer footprint than anything.

The one big timber outfit locally runs Husky, while the two smaller Mill outfits run Stihl.

The pulp guys that come through, run whatever it seems like is closest to where they are cutting when the last one croaks.
Have yet to see an Echo bieng used outside of a backyard around here though.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Mostly Stihl, almost 100% in this area other than Home Depot and Lowe's. Stihl dealers around here maker their money on low end trimmers, blowers and the mowers they sell, saws are pretty low on the totem pole. No loggers around here for the most part, and most of the tree guys are complete hacks, seems to be the trend in urban areas, their big saws are often 361's, you get the idea.

50/50 here. I use both. 460 and 372. All the mills bout the same. Still some 066/394/5's around. Whatever starts and makes me money.

Talking with some tree service guys here its pretty much a lock for Stihl. There are a few outfits running Husqvarna but they're in the minority.

Mostly Stihl out here. No real loggers around, so it's just tree services, landscapers, and suburban firewood hacks like myself. I've yet to see a tree company guy using anything but an MS200T and something bigger on the ground, like a 361. All the government contractors on the military base were using Stihl saws too, I seen last month when the freak foot of snow tore down tree branches everywhere. I guess it probably has something to do with dealer support. I know of 3 local Stihl dealers, just by driving past the signs, but I've yet to see a Husqvarna sign close by. I know there's one an hour north of here..... not sure where else. That's probably why all the Stihls.

I'd say 98% of the loggers around here use Stihl. The 460 and the 660 being the most popular. After being a member of this site I have been interested by the 346xp and I can honestly say I have no idea where to get one. We have 2 Husky dealers within driving distance of home and they mostly sell the 455 Ranchers and such. I have inquired about the 346 and they try to steer me toward the Ranchers because they are a bigger saw and they sell lots of them. The Stihl dealers in our area in my experiance are much more knowledgeable and care about not only the sale but the service of their product. It seems the Husky dealers are only out to sell a saw. I will be away for work for a while but when I get back I plan on purchasing a 261.

I'd say 98% of the loggers around here use Stihl. The 460 and the 660 being the most popular. After being a member of this site I have been interested by the 346xp and I can honestly say I have no idea where to get one. We have 2 Husky dealers within driving distance of home and they mostly sell the 455 Ranchers and such. I have inquired about the 346 and they try to steer me toward the Ranchers because they are a bigger saw and they sell lots of them. The Stihl dealers in our area in my experiance are much more knowledgeable and care about not only the sale but the service of their product. It seems the Husky dealers are only out to sell a saw. I will be away for work for a while but when I get back I plan on purchasing a 261.
Test a 261 at your local stihl dealer and I don't think you'll miss a 346 at all...imo.

Our local tree service that does residential work, climbing etc prefers Husky. They have multiples of everything from top handle to 395's.
Another business that's more into logging uses mainly Stihl 660. Ironically they bypass our Stihl dealer and purposely get their saws, chain, oil etc from our Dolmar dealer.

Stihl 460's around here mainly can only think of one other faller that uses a huskey. Our best dealer sells bolth

I have to take into consideration who works and owns my local Husky dealer. I have been in maybe four times and have been treated like I just interrupted their web browsing session of Dooney Burke purses. With that said, the effeminate men at my local Husky dealer would be better off working behind a Macy’s cosmetics counter. I can’t really see any industry professionals shopping that jip joint.

It's really a sad state of affairs for anyone who wants to buy a Husky.

As long as the local sawshop sales Stihl, that's mostly what you will see around where I live.The guy that owns it takes really good care of all his customers and that really means more than the brand.He also has no problem working on my old 10-10 macs.

Back