Do the Loggers and other pros use Stihl or Husky in your area?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pacific NW Loggers choice

In the Pacific NW Stihl is the predominant saw choice because it's really the only dealer support they have. When I was in Oregon in the 1980's and Idaho in the 1990's Husqvarna and Jonsered were more common then now. As for me I'm dyed in the wool Husqvarna and Jonsered lover, I can't turn my back on anything that has been so good to me as they have, I never had good Stihl luck. I love the power to weight of the Swede machines. Bought my 346XP today in fact.
David

In my area I'm going to say Husqvarna is a little bit more of the market for the "pros" Mostly because of dealer support of ; On hand parts, techs, and Brand loyalty. Also that shop has been there for 40 years so there are is a client base there.

Run mostly stihl and husky have three great places for sales n service within 20 mins two for husky one does both has every model in stock. Have a good dolmar dealer and jonsered within half hour. I log do tree work and firewood Each saw I have i use in a specific situation like them all.

Here, I'm sure it's both.

We've got Husky and Stihl dealers all over the place.

The tree service that dealt with my neighbor's tree used a 200T for the limbing and cleaning out of the top, and then dropped the tree with a 390XP.

All he ran was Husky and Stihl.

I later came by with the McCulloch 850 to cut up the tree he dropped... :)

Last edited:
In the 90s it used to be exclusively Husky, nobody would touch Stihl with a 10 foot pole. This was in the era of 254xp,257,262xp (I have owned all three, and all a great experience) then came the 357,359 and lots of plastic, the quality was not there, biggest issue was faulty crank cases and loggers turned to the 361 and then on to the 362s. There were no issues with the husqvarna 365,372s and those two were used primarily for the firewood industry.

I ran out of wood a couple of years ago and didn't have any to cut so I called a guy to bring me some because I knew he cuts a lot of wood. When he pulled in I came out and looked it over and his chainsaws were a couple of Wild Things!

Log Hogger

and one Stihl dealer I swear must be the best in the country - every single pro Stihl chainsaw model in his huge, clean showroom, and an amazing service department staffed with cool, knowledgable people.

Can you tell me where he is located?

Not around here!

Or by me but he is in the same state as me, Mi., and if I need work on my new saw would perfer to take it to a dealer who knows it. I called at least a dozen dealers in my area looking for a 441 m tronic. Half had never heard of it. Ordered it from the one two blacks from where I worked but , "I don't stock any pro saws, they cost to much". Sure don't want them working on it.

I see a mix of Stihl and Husky here. Probably a few more Stihls than Huskies. The company I used to cut for we always used what we wanted and they bought them for us. I used a 066 for the most part and later a 460 with the 660 for backup. Most of the other guys used 460's with an exception of one fellow and his Husky 394. That was a good saw. I swapped him out with my 066 for a few weeks once and he liked it better, as did I. The power was exceptional, but the weight was more than I liked. Last time I talked to them though, they were running 460's and Husky 390s. The guy that used that 394 got them all hooked on the 390.

I consider the 390 to be an awesome felling saw. As is the 460.

Or by me but he is in the same state as me, Mi., and if I need work on my new saw would perfer to take it to a dealer who knows it. I called at least a dozen dealers in my area looking for a 441 m tronic. Half had never heard of it. Ordered it from the one two blacks from where I worked but , "I don't stock any pro saws, they cost to much". Sure don't want them working on it.

I asked my local dealer if he had a reed valve for my saw..he asked me to describe the part! Needless to say, I'll be taking my business somewhere else..

Most guys answer will be based strictly on the support they get from their local shop. Either one is a piece of #### if you can't get parts that day or decent service....Coin toss.

Most guys answer will be based strictly on the support they get from their local shop. Either one is a piece of #### if you can't get parts that day or decent service....Coin toss.

Most of the "Stihl dealers" around here aren't small engine shops, they do it as a side business. Several of them don't like to work on them they mostly want to sell parts and saws. In fact, we don't have any Stihl dealers that are in the small engine business.

anymore around here if your not a small operator with just a few guys using power saws its ! " whats a chain saw "!! the bigger op,s use heavy equipment to do all the aspects of the new logging rather than utilizing the older methods.. faster, more production and less labor hours sums up the bottom line!oh yes.. HUSKY RULES ALSO!!

Last edited:
True Sam, if your local shop dealer or not does not carry parts or work on one or the other, then that limits your choices. A lot of my friends were just brand loyal to Stihl, but we have good support for Stihl, Echo, and Husky. They were still biased toward Stihl, but have learned to appreciate, and use the others. We have Stihl, and Husky saws, and the top saws are echos 341's. Pole saws are Echo too. But like I have said before how spoiled I am with my shop. They get parts for, and work on everything! They sell three brands too under one roof.:msp_thumbsup:

At least 70% Husqvarna here in Northeast CT. There is a decent dealer here in the east that caters to the pros, and boy does he move those Huskys.

The other dealers don't care for him much, LOL...;)

Back