Do timed cuts to the second really matter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never timed a cut, and likely never will.

I will say cutting wood with a chainsaw puts a smile on my face. Cutting with a bigger faster saw puts a bigger smile on my face. If I didn't care about how fast I cut I'd use a bow saw. But since I don't want to spend all my time cutting, I use a chainsaw, as it is a time saver. Since I've chosen to use a time saving device, I want to save as much time as possible.

I don't know of anyone who has had to opportunity to cut with a fast saw that decides afterwards that they want to cut with a slow saw. The only issue comes from weight and how heavy of a saw you can live with.

Only time Ive had a stop watch in my hand was at a GTG. Its fun, not normally my thing but I do like seeing times on modifications, port work and the like just to see what works and what doesnt and what kind of gains to expect.

Been nice knowing y'all.

Guess I'm going to have a catastrophic accident once this ported 261.99xp hybrid arrives in my hands. Seeing as I have only a few hours on a 576xp and most of my time gardening and cutting wood with a husky 340..... This saw will be too much for me. :bang:

So far I've found the bigger saw better as it requires proper handling and use. And while I have a desk job I try to learn the proper way to do everything.

Since I do tree service and just got my first ported saw Tree Monkey ported it I will day after running it two days not only does it cut way faster it reduces operator fatiuge (sp) a great deal.

So yes it does make a difference in more than one way when you have several trees to cut up and you can just let the ported saw self feed its way thought the tree without every having to work it through the cuts like a non-ported saw does at times.

Timed cuts to the second don't matter when you have a slow saw...

Now when you have a fast saw, timed cuts to the tenth of a second matter!

All and all it's a tape measure, and mostley becaue it's fun. Thats what matters.

timed to the second? NO ...**** its all over in Milliseconds, but actually i usually forget to take my sun dial

Since I'm getting all beat up let me explain myself.

Everyone here is very experienced.. So many have forgotten what newbies may do when cutting.

Imagine a ported saw that rips like crazy. What if said inexperience user hits the kickback portion of bar and has a hard time

controlling this ported beast. With pros users I dont' see them as being more dangerous. ONLY IN THE HANDS OF THE

INEXPERIENCED. SHould a 12 year old kid with is first saw have it ported.?

Adam

Oh you ain't getting beat up. Guys are just saying it is more efficient and easier to cut with a more powerful and lighter saw. As for the 12 year old..sure...if he does the porting and really digs his saws! I see the kids around here going nuts on their dirt bikes, not much difference in danger really.

Oh you ain't getting beat up. Guys are just saying it is more efficient and easier to cut with a more powerful and lighter saw. As for the 12 year old..sure...if he does the porting and really digs his saws! I see the kids around here going nuts on their dirt bikes, not much difference in danger really.

I can be a little sensitive at times. Sorry.

I also like having a ported modded 50cc over a big ol' heavy beast.

I just think modified saws + inexp op = no good.

I think Randy Mac's comment was the best. Lil saws with inexperienced folk = :msp_scared: No doubt.

Not even half a second of not thinking or knowing is all it takes.

I like guns and chainsaws equally. I have the same philosophy for both:

1) always treat them like killing instruments
2) never point them at anything you don't want to kill.

Adam

Last edited:
I dont think timed cuts are all that important. One of the few times ive done timed cuts was to see how close my treeslinger 372xpw was compared to my o66 dual port the result I got my moneys worth. Do I remember the exact times no and dont care.

Remember were all counting on you

i feel the same way ,i have the saws modded so they will pull a 32 inch bar without bogging down ,the speeds not as important as the tourqe to me

Latest posts

Back