Do timed cuts to the second really matter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob066

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I not a production cutter so time dont matter to me. I cut at my own pace and how the saw lets me. I tend to see how times are tested by stopwatch. This saw is better than this saw because it beat it by 2 seconds. It dont matter to me does it matter to you? I always get it done and that is all it matters to me. Not how my saw will beat your saw. My saws are used to support my family not race saws!

Last edited:
It doesn't matter to me but a lot of the guys have fun doing it. I don't see any harm in it.

Some of the saw racers have come up with good ideas to make saws run better and more efficiently...that's a plus for those of us that make our living with a saw.

I not a production cutter so time dont matter to me. I cut at my own pace and how the saw lets me. I tend to see how times are tested by stopwatch. This saw is better than this saw because it beat it by 2 seconds. It dont matter to me does it matter to you? I always get it done and that is all it matters to me. Not how my saw will beat your saw. My saws are used to support my family not race saws!

If you ever ran a ported saw, you wouldn't have a stock saw.

Just something to do with the saws. I've won some races and I've lost some races, but they were all fun. I just dont take them too seriously.

Just something to do with the saws. I've won some races and I've lost some races, but they were all fun. I just dont take them too seriously.

:agree2: All in fun!!!

......but as far as cutting for real work, most any saw will cut more than my lazy ass wants to fool with. :D

There's a couple guys I cut firewood with..... we go head to head almost every time. With different combinations of saws and bar lengths and chain types. I guess none of us never really grew up 100% from when we were little kids and stuffed Matchbox cars full of tissues, lit them on fire, and threw them out the 2nd floor window. Whose landed harder? Whose fire was bigger? Whose mom got more pist off?

Same $hit, different decade. Competition is a must when you have a twig&berries. ;)

I cut wood. Do not race saws. I do build or refurbish saws for cutting my wood. I time cut just for a gauge.
-Jeff-

Its a good way to gauge the performance of a saw.
Stock or modified.

If you are more of a casual cutter than stock saws are good enough. :msp_thumbup:

If you cut everyday and have to compete with other cutters then modifications are necessary.

Because a ported saw will whoop a stock saw. But only pros should use them because they are more dangerous.

If you port a saw take Personal protection equipment a little more serious. Wear chaps etc.

But cutting all day those seconds really do add up

Adam

Imo

As much as I enjoy using saws there comes a point during the day it becomes hard work. That time frame would surely come earlier if I had a slug in my hands. Most people I know would rather drive a corvette than a chevette, or a mustang over a mustang ll. IMO theres an enthusiast in us all in SOME area. :msp_thumbsup:

If you are more of a casual cutter than stock saws are good enough. :msp_thumbup:

If you cut everyday and have to compete with other cutters then modifications are necessary.

Because a ported saw will whoop a stock saw. But only pros should use them because they are more dangerous.

If you port a saw take Personal protection equipment a little more serious. Wear chaps etc.

But cutting all day those seconds really do add up

Adam

Not sure they are any more dangerous. Something that turns :msp_scared::msp_scared:12-14 THOUSAND RPM:msp_scared: with a sharp chain is dangerous...period. Also, you either take PPE serious or not, my opinion.

Shea

PS-Yes, I own a modded saw, it was dangerous before, and it is still dangerous after the mods.

modded saws arent dangerous ,inexperienced operators may be though ..............

Back