Do timed cuts to the second really matter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
modded saws arent dangerous ,inexperienced operators may be though ..............

I totally agree. I just think for an inexperienced operator to buy a hot rod saw. They may get themselves in trouble.

For example a stock saw will be high rpm's but when it hits wood the Rpm's drop dramatically.

A ported/modified saw will pull many more RPM's in the cut.

Adam

Well more torque, power, which in the hands of an inexperienced cutter can be bad news.

Adam

You are right. More power you may cut right through your hinge. A little less power you may have a chance to see how a tree is acting. Leaning back at you or leaning forward to fall away from you. No hinge no control you are at gravities law. Hopefully it is in your favor.

One guy i was working with was obviously really green.. Using a brand new MS 880 from the boss.

As he's putting the pie cut in and the saw obviously overpowered him. The pie cut went way too far in and got pinched. Then this 60 foot

tree fell on the saw. Smashed the 880 into oblivion. As I saw he didn't have the strength to handle that saw.

Anyway that was his last day.

Last edited:
You are right. More power you may cut right through your hinge. A little less power you may have a chance to see how a tree is acting. Leaning back at you or leaning forward to fall away from you. No hinge no control you are at gravities law. Hopefully it is in your favor.

i dont understand this ? how is more power gonna cut through the hinge ? doesnt the operator controll that ?

I totally agree. I just think for an inexperienced operator to buy a hot rod saw. They may get themselves in trouble.

For example a stock saw will be high rpm's but when it hits wood the Rpm's drop dramatically.

A ported/modified saw will pull many more RPM's in the cut.

Adam

I think for felling, more grunt and speed is actually safer. Bucking, meh, woodstove don't care, but you with the ten tons of cellulose overhead, you want to get it cut and get outta the area with the least amount of lag time as possible.

Not that I own a modded saw outside of muffler mods, but I make sure I am using "enough" saw with sharp chain when felling. I will err to too big and more power over too small and too slow.

At some time I plan on having at least a few ported saws, just for this reason, it's safer for some cutting situations.

Yup...or he should anyway. If I'm almost all the way sawed up and I need to shape a hinge or chase one it's always good to have a fast saw.

Damn straight. If the stick starts to act silly I want to control how fast I can chase it. Less time in the impact zone under the crown is a good thing.

Timed cuts exist to quantify change. Nothing more, nothing less.

only pros should use them because they are more dangerous.
If you port a saw take Personal protection equipment a little more serious. Wear chaps etc.
Adam

Didn't know that a ported saw was MORE dangerous than a regular saw... I always thought they both could cut your leg off...... wow, I've never gave it any thought along this line of thinking.

And for saws bigger than 100cc's or bars bigger than 28"... your thoughts or are those for PRO's only also?

Didn't know that a ported saw was MORE dangerous than a regular saw... I always thought they both could cut your leg off...... wow, I've never gave it any thought along this line of thinking.

And for saws bigger than 100cc's or bars bigger than 28"... your thoughts or are those for PRO's only also?

Since I'm getting all beat up let me explain myself.

Everyone here is very experienced.. So many have forgotten what newbies may do when cutting.

Imagine a ported saw that rips like crazy. What if said inexperience user hits the kickback portion of bar and has a hard time

controlling this ported beast. With pros users I dont' see them as being more dangerous. ONLY IN THE HANDS OF THE

INEXPERIENCED. SHould a 12 year old kid with is first saw have it ported.?

Adam

You want to take your life in your hands, try a gear-drive from the late '60s, early '70s, they will teach you wieners proper respect in a hurry.

Nothing, and I mean nothing will tense the ol'bunghole up like a kickback from an ol' gear drive....

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange: God I love this site !!!

the only time i do timed cuts is when i am comparing 2 different saws, then i am not picky

I dont think timed cuts are all that important. One of the few times ive done timed cuts was to see how close my treeslinger 372xpw was compared to my o66 dual port the result I got my moneys worth. Do I remember the exact times no and dont care.

Remember were all counting on you

Randy Mac's signature line pretty much sums it up

I firmly believe in the philosophy that safety is the number one priority in the woods. Having said that I feel that safety starts with the proper mindset and is followed closely, very closely, by the proper skillset. I think there is a tendency to offset poor skills by buying more safety gear.

Actually, I believe.....underpowered saws cause more injuries because they do stupid stuff trying to make the saw do something it won't... like pulling or pushing harder to make it cut faster.

Carelessness doesn't choose it's victims, it gets them all... pro saw or not!

I'm thinkin the boss who handed the inexperienced op an 880 or a Poulan Wild thing to fell a tree should be fired. I don't think it would make much difference ported or not for a newbie as far as danger. Both will take your leg off just as well. My father was always of the opinion that a small saw in the hands of an inexperienced op was more dangerous than a large saw. Our experiences are that usually limbing (typically smaller saws used) comes w/ more hazards than bucking (usually larger saw), and there is usually more respect given to a bigger/heavier saw. Just my opinion.

I'm thinkin the boss who handed the inexperienced op an 880 or a Poulan Wild thing to fell a tree should be fired. I don't think it would make much difference ported or not for a newbie as far as danger. Both will take your leg off just as well. My father was always of the opinion that a small saw in the hands of an inexperienced op was more dangerous than a large saw. Our experiences are that usually limbing (typically smaller saws used) comes w/ more hazards than bucking (usually larger saw), and there is usually more respect given to a bigger/heavier saw. Just my opinion.

word..."Respect the saw" and so it was written

Randy Mac's signature line pretty much sums it up

I firmly believe in the philosophy that safety is the number one priority in the woods. Having said that I feel that safety starts with the proper mindset and is followed closely, very closely, by the proper skillset. I think there is a tendency to offset poor skills by buying more safety gear.

Actually, I believe.....underpowered saws cause more injuries because they do stupid stuff trying to make the saw do something it won't... like pulling or pushing harder to make it cut faster.

Carelessness doesn't choose it's victims, it gets them all... pro saw or not!

My buddy 2dogs said that, a very wise man.

I'm betting, the highest amount of injuries come from the little saws. Wieners buy some plastic whizbang and through lack of training, respect of the machine, get what is due them, either the saw gets them, or the wood does.
Hi Brad!

Back