Do you cover your firewood all summer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stack my firewood on wooden pallets, a company near me that builds manufactured & mobile homes throws the pallets out by the road for poeple to take. I work on my wood all spring & summer, so I leave what is split & stacked, uncovered, until I have all my winter's wood done, then I cover the whole deal (top & part of the sides) with a heavy tarp & bungee it down. It's always dry by winter.

I don't even stack anymore. Throw it off the splitter into a pile and let is sit for 2 years. Once you get ahead two years, you are golden.

No tarping either, except for the 2/3 cord that I keep under the 2nd story deck by the basement where it is used. Keeps from dragging snow into the house, more than getting wet.

Originally Posted by BarkBuster20
must be hard to find the time to cut more than a cord of wood every day of the year. not to mention splitting hauling and stacking.
You don't cut it by hand when you cut that much wood. Prossesors cut split and load from 1 to 8 cords per hour depending on the unit. and he said 400 face cord that's only 133 full cord
__________________ lol alright

Or like me, cut a "bit" more than you use each year. I just mentally computed and ball park figure is 36 cords (conservative figure) in my stacks right now. About 1/2 of it is locust that does not rot. Taken me 15 years (oldest was cut in 96) to accumulate that much...well, last year added 16 cords of Willow that I had no inteniton of cutting.

Harry K

I have pallets on top, with plywood and tarps. Now I have the tarps wrapped around the plywood and stapled to the bottom of the plywood. Makes for easy to remove top sheets of plywood that is covered from the elements.

I get airflow through the stack all year and the dark green makes for a warm surface to help dry the firewood.

WhatIdidthisweekend005.jpg

That pile wraps around to the right side out of view, about 5-1/2 feet tall by the length of it, totals about 7-1/2 cord.
:cheers:

Latest posts

Back