Do you drive out on the golf courses?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForTheArborist

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just received a call from a golf course, and I'm already thinking that the price on any kind of work is going to be ridiculous I have to hire a dozen brush dragers to pull brush across an entire golf course. Then I'm thinking I can drive out there with the truck and chipper, but are they going to repair the fairways and all or what? I don't I can manage to drive around without mauling their grounds.

Naaah... Golf courses already have fleets of turf-tired Gators or Mules, and squads of $10 an hour help to run them. Truck and chipper stay in parking lot, I climb, my groundman runs rope and the golf course worker bees shuttle branches to my truck for me. Heck they even do the final rake-up and load any firewood in the superintendant's pickup truck.

Now that doesn't happen automatically, you need to sell it on the basis of the Golf courses fixed costs verses their tree maintenance budget, but once you have the superintendant on the same page, it's a super easy gig.

RedlineIt

if you drop a golfball down your chippers shoot will it launch out like a mortar?

:confused:

We dont drive on golf courses. Its all climbing and they always clean up. They just want it on the ground. We always do golf course tree work in the winter when the ground is frozen, thats when they want us there. But I guess if you are in an area that doesnt freeze up you do what you gotta do.

How do they want it priced, FTA? Hourly or per tree?

I don't know. I haven't been out there yet. Unless it's all of the same thing like a bunch of palm trees, I won't just price it per tree. Based on the photos at their website, I can see they have palms and hard woods.

golf course

we do a course in town. mostly when it's frozen in the winter , or late summer , when its super dry. drive between fairways , on cart paths , across fairways if you have to. Never over TEE BOXES or GREENS . The guy in charge , knows , you are going to tear something up . That's all they do , is fix grass . Just tell them to wait , if it is really wet . Biggest thing, is to watch out for the IDIOT GOLFERS !!! They will walk into your work zone looking for a lost ball.

I take care of our local,city owned, golf course. Last time, we had some punkasses trying to hit us with balls, we went over with the super and had a little discussion, they didnt know the super was with me, the told us to F off, Super banned them, lol. Here is the kicker, these idiots where in their 50's and 60s, flippin us off as they left, acting just like my punk ass wannabe gangster nephews, except they where driving Beemers and Caddy!
Then u have the bad golfers who mean no harm, "4
I told the super I need to start charging for being in a combat zone.
We stay on the trails, never touch a green, will cross a fairway if need be, but only go where they tell me I can, never take a chance and deviate from their expectations. A bent grass putting green can cost more than all your equip combined. Have to be cut everyday at heights like 5/32 of a inch. Big freakin money to keep one nice, stay away!

Golf Courses are a mixed bag on one hand you get to drive around in golf carts with chainsaws, it's nice out, boss's got his golf clubs playing par three's. On the other hand mad asian people are poking around in your brush pile while climbers in the tree dropping limbs. People walk right up dude , get some event tape up and close it off good to carts. the course usually helps out alot with that kind of stuff. Dont drive over sprinklers the big ones are 275.00 apeice and all the water lines are 6 inch and bigger mains made of aspestos under soft ground. dont leave tire marks so it stops peoples ball and it sucks when people are wacking balls at you while your working. it's better to work at nice courses becasue people are better golfers and dont slice it at you,,:laugh:

Back