Do you ever change your gas filter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stihl 440

stihl 440

Addicted to ArboristSite
6-12 months

I do mine whenever I change my spark plug, about every other month. I use my saws on a daily basis though.

Yup, that's what I do everytime I change the plug I change the fuel filter. I change the fuel filter and plug every 6-12 months. I probably should do it every other month but I try not to get dirt in the tank. I log everyday also.:greenchainsaw: :) :clap:

stihl 440

stihl 440

Addicted to ArboristSite
white

What if the hose is too short to allow you to take the filter off. I guess a couple pair of really long needle nose would do the trick.

Also, can you tell if the filter is "starting" to get clogged? Mine looks nice and white/clean yet.

You can't tell by it being white or brown. It can still be white and be clogged tighter than a drum. Replace it every year along with the plug.:greenchainsaw: :clap: :)

stihl 440

stihl 440

Addicted to ArboristSite

I didn't... if all the guy is going to do is "state the obvious" in his special way, then the members will deal with him...

Hmmm... wonder who it really is.. I have short list of two candidates right now...

I know of at least 3 guy's he could be. I could just give the first letter of their user name and everybody would know who they are!LOL:( :chainsaw: :greenchainsaw: :) :buttkick: :clap::monkey:

Last edited:
PA Plumber

PA Plumber

Addicted to ArboristSite
Thanks fellas. Appreciate the help. Now I need to do a spark plug search. 11 years old and still looks fine. Had it serviced just before joining this site and the shop said they would leave it alone.

stihl 440

stihl 440

Addicted to ArboristSite
bosch

Thanks fellas. Appreciate the help. Now I need to do a spark plug search. 11 years old and still looks fine. Had it serviced just before joining this site and the shop said they would leave it alone.
I've heard guy's saying "oh it's 20 years old and still has the origional plug". Yea, you know what it really means is it's a hard to start and runs like crap. Put a bosch in it, she'll be ok. You are talking about the 026, right?:greenchainsaw: :clap: :)

PA Plumber

PA Plumber

Addicted to ArboristSite
I've heard guy's saying "oh it's 20 years old and still has the origional plug". Yea, you know what it really means is it's a hard to start and runs like crap. Put a bosch in it, she'll be ok. You are talking about the 026, right?:greenchainsaw: :clap: :)

Yep, the 026. Usually starts on the 3rd or 4th pull from cold. 1/4 of a pull when warm.

Should I just match the current number to a Bosch? Gap?

Thanks.

Last edited:

DGG

ArboristSite Operative
One clothes hanger bent to make a hook, hook the hose
and pull out the filter.

Thanks to all for the tips but I see the fuel line going down into the tank, but the size of the Husky 359 filter is much to large to go through the hole in the top of the fuel tank. I'm looking for that "filler" hole. The fuel line is about 1/4" but the filter width is about 1/2 inch or more.

Is there a plate or something that I have to remove first? Do I have to pull the carb off or open the saw up to get into a hole in the tank someplace that is big enough for the filter. The instruction/parts/maint manuals speak to replacing the filter but don't show the actual mechanics. I'm sure it is a piece of cake and routine maintenance but I'm lost. I have attached the info from their manual. The pictures next to it show the removal of the gas tank, no help there.

I hesitate to just start pulling the gas line up out of the tank for fear the filter will pop off when it hit the top part of the tank where the fuel line comes out. Then filter will fall to the bottom of the fuel tank.

A week ago I also asked the question of the Husky customer service folks on their website but haven't yet received a reply.

I'm confused!

Last edited:
Dan Forsh

Dan Forsh

Addicted to ArboristSite
Thanks to all for the tips but I see the fuel line going down into the tank, but the size of the Husky 359 filter is much to large to go through the hole in the top of the fuel tank. I'm looking for that "filler" hole. The fuel line is about 1/4" but the filter width is about 1/2 inch or more.

Is there a plate or something that I have to remove first? Do I have to pull the carb off or open the saw up to get into a hole in the tank someplace that is big enough for the filter. The instruction/parts/maint manuals speak to replacing the filter but don't show the actual mechanics. I'm sure it is a piece of cake and routine maintenance but I'm lost. I have attached the info from their manual. The pictures next to it show the removal of the gas tank, no help there.

I hesitate to just start pulling the gas line up out of the tank for fear the filter will pop off when it hit the top part of the tank where the fuel line comes out. Then filter will fall to the bottom of the fuel tank.

A week ago I also asked the question of the Husky customer service folks on their website but haven't yet received a reply.

I'm confused!

"I'm looking for that filler hole" ????? The hole where you put the fuel in is the filler hole:bang:

As others have said, bend a little hook on the end of a piece of stiff wire, and go fishin.

Once you've got him, pull the little sucker out through the hole. Hold on to the hose with one hand and pull the filter off with tother. Put on the new filter pop it back it making sure it is on the bottom of the tank (can sometimes get caught up in a corner)

Job done and you're good to go.

DGG

ArboristSite Operative
"I'm looking for that filler hole" ????? The hole where you put the fuel in is the filler hole:bang:

As others have said, bend a little hook on the end of a piece of stiff wire, and go fishin.

Once you've got him, pull the little sucker out through the hole. Hold on to the hose with one hand and pull the filter off with tother. Put on the new filter pop it back it making sure it is on the bottom of the tank (can sometimes get caught up in a corner)

Job done and you're good to go.

Dan- Bingo! Got it! I'm looking at the top of the saw as the fuel line goes into the tank. I was having a brain-fart. Thanks again! You folks are the best for us newbies! It never dawned on me the fuel line was long enough to be fished out the filler hole. You made my day! It's as easy as ice fishing in Michigan!

Last edited:
lesorubcheek

lesorubcheek

Addicted to ArboristSite
Chinese handcuffs

Another point when removing a filter from the fuel line is its not always the easiest way to just pull them apart. As Andy mentioned, fuel line will stretch. As you pull on a filter, the line will tend to stretch and actually tighten its grip. Its easier to get a small flat screwdriver or similar object and pry the line from the filter as this compresses and therefore expands the line as its pushed off rather than shrinking and making it tighter by pulling it. I imagine most people know this, but for someone who doesn't it may save ya from breaking a fuel line.

Dan

DGG

ArboristSite Operative
Another point when removing a filter from the fuel line is its not always the easiest way to just pull them apart. As Andy mentioned, fuel line will stretch. As you pull on a filter, the line will tend to stretch and actually tighten its grip. Its easier to get a small flat screwdriver or similar object and pry the line from the filter as this compresses and therefore expands the line as its pushed off rather than shrinking and making it tighter by pulling it. I imagine most people know this, but for someone who doesn't it may save ya from breaking a fuel line.

Dan

Real good point. I wouldn't have known that. I would think the fuel line would be stiff enough not to collapse and grab the filter.

The 359 manual instructions say to whack off 1/8" of the fuel line whenever you replace the filter. They refer to the "miter" or "mitre" end which must be some sort of Scandinavian terminology. I think they just mean to whack off a small chunk of the line.

Thanks again to all for the great info. You made my day! I have been pondering that stupid filter issue for two weeks.

JoeCanuck

JoeCanuck

ArboristSite Operative
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGG
The 359 manual instructions say to whack off whenever you replace the filter. I think they just mean to whack off a small chunk.

"whack off a small chunk"?????

Alright, who peeked??? :laugh:

Sprig

Sprig

Addicted to ArboristSite
What if the hose is too short to allow you to take the filter off. I guess a couple pair of really long needle nose would do the trick.

Also, can you tell if the filter is "starting" to get clogged? Mine looks nice and white/clean yet.

Then you disconnect your fuel feed line and 'gently' shove it back through the grommet of da tank, then take your weapon du-jour/hook thingy and pull it out/replace/have a beer. While yer at it, if it be an old line may as well replace it too. Take a goodly length, (I like at least 8"+ extra so I can use the cut off piece), feed it into the tank and reach in and fish it out with 'tool-du-jour', replace filter, draw line back into tank (but not too much of course), make sure the filter is seated in da proper spot (usually a 'well' near the outside of tank I think, stand ta be corrected there though), be careful not to push too much line in as you might kink it inadvertantly, cut off excess and re-connect to carb. I really, really like the clear tubing (Tygon?) as now you can see some gas issues should they arise.
Once started test on za tree :chainsawguy: up/down/sideways, when the neighbour complains plead EAB damage and the fifth (good Wiser's is good).
On the 'how kin I tell if its getting plugged' thingy, well your saw won't be running near as it did the day before and slowly get worse. If you know you are running good clean gas then there may be other issues imho.

:D
Just my blatherin' 0,024 $ worth fer da evening, time fer ano9ther nipps...

:cheers:

Serge

Last edited: