do you prefer the larger heel (logger boots) or smaller for spurs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used spurs with most common types of footwear, but my favorite boots for spurs have high heels. They keep the spurs from digging into the dirt when walking to the tree.

Few years ago I dropped a 24"x20' 3/4" wall casing with a 2000lb auger in it on a guys feet from about 2' up. He was standing on a raised section of steel track ( like train track) with his steel toe caps 1/2 over the edge.
He was hurt bad! . But he still has all 10 toes and no lasting damage.
I hate wearing them but there is no substitute for good steel toes.

Steel toes are mandatory where I work (shipbuilding) and composite toes are not acceptable. I climb as a side gig, and most any size heel is OK with climbers (spikes, gaffs). However, I believe a steel shank is much more important to foot comfort than heel height or type of toe protection.

BTW, I didn't think anyone here would confess their personal preference for stiletto heels. <lol>

Steel toes are mandatory where I work (shipbuilding) and composite toes are not acceptable. I climb as a side gig, and most any size heel is OK with climbers (spikes, gaffs). However, I believe a steel shank is much more important to foot comfort than heel height or type of toe protection.

BTW, I didn't think anyone here would confess their personal preference for stiletto heels. <lol>
That comment reminded me of a lady of the evening we walked by on our last trip to Hot Springs. She was wearing what looked like combat boots with open toes and six inch heels!

I have been climbing in "mid weight hikers" for a few years now and I dont even bother with heeled logger boots any more. My hikers work great with spurs and with out and they are nice and light. Just gotta make sure they have a good stiff sole. If all I did was spur trees, esp if I was doing crane work and riding the ball, I would prolly still wear loggers cuz they look more bad a.ss. But other than that I dont need that heel or the weight.

Back