Do you really need a saw that big?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Till you run an 880 or a 3120 with a 72" bar or a big two man you ain't had no fun. Do we need 75 saws, no but we got um if we do. It's a hoot to pull up somewhere in my Toyota with LP's bit husky hanging out the the back over the tailgate and see the looks on folks face. :rockn: big saws and long bars.

Till you run an 880 or a 3120 with a 72" bar or a big two man you ain't had no fun. Do we need 75 saws, no but we got um if we do. It's a hoot to pull up somewhere in my Toyota with LP's bit husky hanging out the the back over the tailgate and see the looks on folks face. :rockn: big saws and long bars.

:agree2:

We don't use the ported 880 and its 72" bar very often...just not that many 60"+ trees to cut up, and handling rounds that big is not efficient for our small crew...

But Dang...It sure is fun to run, with that big saw screamin' at full power and a fire-hose worth of chips blasting out of the cut...sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!

But reality bites...the crew hates me for a week for cutting huge rounds...so its back to smaller saws and smaller, more easily handled wood...:D

My wife and I are on the same page, we don't make much money.
But we don't go out to eat or go to the moveis, no fancy clothes.
We raise our own garden, no gaint TV. We do try to buy quailty stuff.

Anyway a buddy of mine ask me why in the world I would spend
that much on a new MS880. I said here I am using 1995 3/4 Chevy
on the farm and use it to pull stock trailer for our cattle. While you
have a brand new diesel Dodge truck that you owe $40,000 on.
When all you have to pull is a little Jon boat.

He had been talking trash about me and all my saws for some time.
Well my buddy doesn't say a word about my saws now :)

TT

Maybe you should respond with the question, "Do you really need a whole toolbox full of tools, or can you just get by with a crescent wrench, hammer, and screwdriver?"

Everything is tailored for a different purpose. Sure, you can get by with just 1 or 2 different tools, but it makes things more complicated.

Big powerful saws are more tailored for quickly cutting bigger wood while small, light saws are better for limbing and smaller wood. Gotta have big and small and all those in between to be sure you have the right tool for the job when that job comes along.

God made big saws...so we got to have 'em. It's our God given right. I swear I saw it in the Bible.

Anybody using a small saw when a big saw will do, is just over compensating for a lack of properly sized equiptment.

If you got the arms for it, use the biggest saw you got. IF not, take up knitting.

Its an american woodsman tradition as old as logging itself, bigger is simply better!
agree'd that those who havnt run a saw that large are the only ones who wouldn't understand. I love my larger saws, they are soooo much fun to run and there's nothing that compares to pure raw power. Now when it comes to doing the firewood thing in all different size wood for 8 hours+ for 1 or two days a week, it sure is nice to have a lighter variety for the smaller stuff lol.

Well, some folks around here have the big, jacked-up four wheel drive trucks, but you never see them hauling anything, and they won't put them in mud. I guess that with a few individuals, owning a monster saw is similar. They may not use it often, but they like owning them. :)

If I really need big saws doesn't matter, their fun to use :greenchainsaw:

CopyofPICT0623Medium.jpg

Heck yea,..I may not really need to own the biggest one man saw made but it is so much fun, having them in multiples is just that much more fun.

Pioneerguy600

somebody mention biggest one man saw ever made ? :monkey:

1951 Disston DA 211 twin cyl 9hp 180cc and 65 lbs with 36" bar.

petesawyer.jpg

God made big saws...so we got to have 'em. It's our God given right. I swear I saw it in the Bible.

Anybody using a small saw when a big saw will do, is just over compensating for a lack of properly sized equiptment.

If you got the arms for it, use the biggest saw you got. IF not, take up knitting.

Ya buddy, go big or go home :chainsaw:

like they say, if ya cant run with the big dogs then stay in the yard. :D

Recent dicussion between my buddy and I regarding a larger saw he intends to purchase:

Me: Why do you want that big of a saw?
Buddy: Because.
Me: But why?
Buddy: Because I want one and I can.
Me: Good enough for me, I was just asking. I want one, too!

And so there we stood, both intent on buying saws that neither of us need, but will likely have. Who doesn't like more power?

Been wondering. I offered a guy a chance at some locust I was working on. He showed up with a 660. I was working down the hill, him up and I thought that saw was rather loud. Later we were working close together and I had to wear my muffs a 100 ft away from him. I sure did want to get a look at the muff on that thing. Sounded like it didn't even have one.

Harry K

Running my 3120 with even a 5 foot bar isn't fun :)

Letting it lay on a log and do the cutting is sorta fun, lifting it up there or carrying it up a hill, thats where the fun stops :)

Running your 3120 with any size bar is fun :chainsawguy:

Running your 3120 with any size bar is fun :chainsawguy:

Come to Tassie with me and carry the bastard up a 30° slope for a kilometre and you'll change your mind Wayne :)
Nah it is fun, just punishing and tiring, particularly when my 390's and a 36" bar will do the same job in 98% of cases.
I hate my 3120, yet love it and will never sell it. I can't explain it it's just one wierd arsed relationship :cheers:
I ran the selling it part past my missus and she said I had to keep it so there you go - straight from the boss.

Come to Tassie with me and carry the bastard up a 30° slope for a kilometre and you'll change your mind Wayne :)
Nah it is fun, just punishing and tiring, particularly when my 390's and a 36" bar will do the same job in 98% of cases.
I hate my 3120, yet love it and will never sell it. I can't explain it it's just one wierd arsed relationship :cheers:
I ran the selling it part past my missus and she said I had to keep it so there you go - straight from the boss.

Nope it's your saw you carry it up the hill :D If you sold it you would only regret it later on.

Nope it's your saw you carry it up the hill :D If you sold it you would only regret it later on.

Yeah but when I get there puffing like a Billy Goat and collapse you'll steal it!!!
I won't sell it - I've got enough saws to carry me through now without having to resort to using such a boat anchor for a felling...

Gosh, I was thinkin' you all were tough down under, a 5 gallon jerry can in one hand, a six cube or better saw in the other and an axe between your teeth, sprinting uphill. I guess I'll go to Klamath to see that.

Maybe you should ask your pals why every man stares at big boobs. You sure don't need 'em that big.

But they sure are fun to have around.:D

Latest posts

Back