Dodge dump truck Build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LD1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Pleanty of pics and details to follow of turning my 1985 dodge w350 into a dump truck. The first series of pics will be the before's

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

New motor. 5.9L magnum w/90000 miles ready to go in

attachment.php

Motor in

attachment.php

attachment.php

Rebuilt trans ready to go in. I had to notch the bellhousing for the crank trigger on the 5.9L It is a 727 trans from a 79 dodge

attachment.php

Rebuilt 205 rady to drop in. Not pictured is the 203 gear case that goes between this and the trans to make it a doubler t-case.

attachment.php

Fabrication work.
attachment.php

notice the reinforcement of the bed. It was just a flat bed with 3" channel and I added 3" to make it a total of 6" thick, which is what most smaller dump bed frames are.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Rear Pivot

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hydraulic goodies under the hood. Everything was purchased from baileynet.com.

The 12 solenoid valve was $88
4-way solenoid block was $30
Pump .37 cu in chief was $85
Cyls are 2.5 x 30 and were $130 ea

Hoses and fittings were bought local for ~$100. Tank was made local 2.5 gal for $35. and the filter unit was bought @ tsc. maybe $20 i think. All total about 650-700 in the dump part of it. Steel was free stuff laying around and the pump is driven off the AC clutch.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

All finished and painted with side racks made.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Just a few other details, the wiring to do the 5.9 swap was a breeze. I got the full harness with the motor and there was only a handful of wires to splice into. Some needed 12v all times, a few hot in run only, and a few to ground. I also spliced in the coolant guage, oil pressure guage, and tach with the harness. Only about 7 wires total. I also had to get the fuel tank out of the 95, due to the higher fuel pressure and all. I had to slightly modify the straps, but don't have any pics.

It has no problems at all dumpung a full cord+ of wood. The only thing that I don't like and may change is that gravity down takes a loooong time. I have a power down port in the DCV that is just blocked. All I would need to do is run a second line to the cyls and wire the clutch to kick the pump on when lowering. Just havent got around to it yet.

Wow, nice work and math,LOL

That will be one handy tool for many years to come!! Love the mud flaps!

Oh ya and I'm really jealous!!

What a rig! The only thing that could make it more manly would be a big cummins under the hood...

Great Job! Cheers from a fellow dodge owner.:cheers:

I know where there is a 3/4 ton dodge sitting in a field. Was parking running and driving years ago. Owned by a mopar nut. I might buy it this summer for a build.

From a fellow Mopar nut... Very nice, I'm actually building one alot like that. I see you've got the D60 front end and the 205... you know whats good!!!

Yeah that!!
Do those springs ever even flex?

Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

They do flex a bit. With about a cord and a half on (~6000-7000lbs) the helper spring on top will just touch the perch which is about 2-3". You can see it in one of the pics. It definatally rides rough without a load. The only thing I dont like is that it is a 8600gvw truck. Knock on wood I havent broke anything yet and have hauled numerous cord and a half loads before the dump bed. Just not more than a few miles.

Latest posts

Back