Dodge dump truck Build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How well do those Boggers handle all of the weight at highway speeds? Does it walk all over the road or get squirrely in the curves?

They arent bad. I keep 35psi in them. Theres only about 3 miles of road between where we cut and home. But its a 1985 truck and they weren't known for their handling anyway.

From a fellow Mopar nut... Very nice, I'm actually building one alot like that. I see you've got the D60 front end and the 205... you know whats good!!!

What you cant see is the doubler t-case. It has the gear reduction part of a 203 mated to the 205. The 203 is a 2:1 and the 205 is a 1.98:1 to give me a super low 3.96:1 with both of em in low. With the 4.10's, posi's, and 35 x 16 boggers, it really pulls. My only problem is it breaks the front hubs too easily. But with an overall gear ratio of about 40:1, I think i am exceeding the axles rated torque. Which I think the dana 60's are good to about 8000ft-lbs

That is one sweet setup LD! My head hurts from looking at that math though!

Nice work!

LD1,

Nice fab work and planning the layout. You must be a fellow engineer, or at least have a decent amount of engineering knowlege based on your calculations I see on the board. Brings back memories of my physics classes in college.

LD1,

Nice fab work and planning the layout. You must be a fellow engineer, or at least have a decent amount of engineering knowlege based on your calculations I see on the board. Brings back memories of my physics classes in college.

Nope. Just a factory grunt. But I have a fair amount of knowledge in the area of math. I took AP Physics and AP calculus is highschool. I wish I were an engineer because I enjoy that type of stuff. I just dont have the time/money to go back to school. And factory work pays good and has good benefits.

LD1 - Plain old paint on the frame? I've been re-doing my F350, 1994 it looked a lot like your before picks. I've been using POR15, at almost 59 years old, I don't plan on going 35G's in the hole for a new one. They can bury me in this one :)

Okay, I wheel alot, and have seen numerous built buggy's, truggy's, Jeeps of all shapes and sizes. Your one ton in its pre dump days, did you wheel it? Why the doubler? Just for the hell of it? I'm just curious and am a mopar fanatic so don't think i'm gonna start rippin on ya LOL. That rear leaf pack, homebrew? If not what are they out of? That thing is badass in the extreme. :) I can easily believe your breaking front hubs, if you don't drive it much on the road, and it doesn't get driven on the ROAD in snow, a solution to your hub issue could be drive flanges instead of hubs. Just an FYI.

LD1 - Plain old paint on the frame? I've been re-doing my F350, 1994 it looked a lot like your before picks. I've been using POR15, at almost 59 years old, I don't plan on going 35G's in the hole for a new one. They can bury me in this one :)

Yep. just plain ole paint. Bought a gallon of rustoleum industrial and thinned it with acetone and sprayed it.

Okay, I wheel alot, and have seen numerous built buggy's, truggy's, Jeeps of all shapes and sizes. Your one ton in its pre dump days, did you wheel it? Why the doubler? Just for the hell of it? I'm just curious and am a mopar fanatic so don't think i'm gonna start rippin on ya LOL. That rear leaf pack, homebrew? If not what are they out of? That thing is badass in the extreme. :) I can easily believe your breaking front hubs, if you don't drive it much on the road, and it doesn't get driven on the ROAD in snow, a solution to your hub issue could be drive flanges instead of hubs. Just an FYI.

Yep the doubler is just fo the hell of it. The truck origionally had a std with the 205. I had another dodge, a 79, and it had a 727 with a 203. Had a blow motor. I used this truck to blow and didn't like the standard. I also didn't loke the 203 t-case and the 205 wouldnt bolt to the 727 with its existing output shaft/adapter. So thats why the doubler.

As for the springs, this truck had 10 when I got it. The 79 had 8 but were a high arch spring pack. I took 7 of them and fit them in with the pack of ten that I had, kinda alternating according to size.

I thought about drive flanges but I kinda like the lockouts. That way I can have double low and still be in 2wd for some fun.

Hahaha, try this on for size, your more than capable mechanically and mentally to pull this off yourself :) Drive Flanges in the front, and twin stick the 205. Gives you independent control of front and rear axles, you can have front only which you don't really need, helpful to maneuver sometimes (called a front dig) but it also allows you to have your first gear tranny, low range 203, and low range 205 while either in 4wd or rear wheel drive. :) hehehehe :clap:

Go back to school!!!

Nope. Just a factory grunt. But I have a fair amount of knowledge in the area of math. I took AP Physics and AP calculus is highschool. I wish I were an engineer because I enjoy that type of stuff. I just dont have the time/money to go back to school. And factory work pays good and has good benefits.

I talked to your Mom and she says if you find the time, she will help you with the rest. Aren't Mothers Wonderful!!!

Did you sand the frame down or anything or just spray the rustoleum? I have a 65 C10 goin on a 79 K10 frame and I need to do something with it.

Did you sand the frame down or anything or just spray the rustoleum? I have a 65 C10 goin on a 79 K10 frame and I need to do something with it.

Just powerwashed it to get the real heavy stuff off. Thats it.

Run what ya brung-- I like it-- here's what I've got in the works

LD1, glad to see math put to work, rather than MODs later to make up for "IT AIN'T WORKING LIKE I WANTED".

I've got an 1985 E350 CAB Chassis formerly a MOTOR HOME- Dually, 11,000 GVW 2WD 460 C6. My hauling doesn't include off road so FWD wasn't on my need list. I bought a complete used hyd dump undercarraige for a farm wagon on Ebay, hyd reservoir 12V pump (new in box also E bay), 6 ft X 8ft flat bed from local wrecking yard. Made my own indestructable hinges, did the math and have 46 deg dump angle and approx 16,000 initial force.

PS the E350 only has 56K miles on it. Just enough miles so I got 6 near new tires in the trade ($2000 of tree trimming and removal) for the Complete Motor Home-- many body leaks had trashed the HOME but it's great working on a 25 year old chassis with 90% paint on the frame and bolts that come out insteade of twisting off.

Keep us posted.

LD1, glad to see math put to work, rather than MODs later to make up for "IT AIN'T WORKING LIKE I WANTED".

I've got an 1985 E350 CAB Chassis formerly a MOTOR HOME- Dually, 11,000 GVW 2WD 460 C6. My hauling doesn't include off road so FWD wasn't on my need list. I bought a complete used hyd dump undercarraige for a farm wagon on Ebay, hyd reservoir 12V pump (new in box also E bay), 6 ft X 8ft flat bed from local wrecking yard. Made my own indestructable hinges, did the math and have 46 deg dump angle and approx 16,000 initial force.

PS the E350 only has 56K miles on it. Just enough miles so I got 6 near new tires in the trade ($2000 of tree trimming and removal) for the Complete Motor Home-- many body leaks had trashed the HOME but it's great working on a 25 year old chassis with 90% paint on the frame and bolts that come out insteade of twisting off.

Keep us posted.

I need a picture of this thing...

You could never do this in Collyfornia. The truck would not pass the smog test. Darn shame we have to sell all these great old trucks out of state or to Mexico where the Mexicans drive them back into the USA "on business". You should see the broken down old tour buses the Mexican companies run up here. Thanks NAFTA.

Latest posts

Back