Does any one use a conveyor?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
super old falling apart. worked for a few years chain keeps breaking etc.. gave it to farmer down the road he wants to load hay with it.

When the chains get worn bad they break pretty easy. When looking at an old farm conveyor look at the bottom of the link. If it is really flat it's worn pretty bad. I have one like that. I kept it with the hope that someday I will convert it to belt drive. I'm still waiting for that to happen.

Scott

Theres a guy on here that has a conveyor attached to either a car or an old pick-up for firewood, its real cool.... Maybe he will post up when he sees this thread

conveyors

I use a 20' old David Bradley coal elevator that has a take apart chain.I'm getting good at changing out broken links.I do have enough flat belting to replace it with,but am thinking I might put a plastic liner in the bottom of the trough cut from plastic barrels to keep the wear down on the links.
Your brother in Christ Jerry

I have been using an old farm elevator for over ten years. It was totally worn out when I got it and it still is but works with no problems. I try to keep the chains lubed.

I found a used 28' Built-Rite on line a couple years ago. It is a hydraulic drive belt machine powered by a 5.5 Honda or GX160 I believe. Couple things good and bad, or, plus or minus, all depending on how you work. I like the belt, it is even great for napping on with these beautiful sunny Fall days, and the elevated view, nice. The belt however does get windblown snow trapped by the lower roller that is difficult to clear out, the result being packed snow on the roller and throws belt tracking off a bit. Minor problem really. Hydraulic drive is nice as it can be stalled and not tear things up. The belt speed is adjustable via a flow control valve and it is reversible, for those big splits that sometimes get by you. Stalling happens if the pile gets too high and the splits discharging get hung up. If the specs say 14' high you can pile about 12'. You can also turn up the belt speed and shoot splits down the back of the pile, but they build up quickly and you still have to move so why, what's the point, it is just more wear on everything. Which leads to, the thing is a pain to move. Lately I've chosen to stack more often and not move the conveyor. Besides the initial cost, which for me included a trip to Iowa and set of magnetic tow lights for the trip home, it cost next to nothing to run all day. If buying new I would recommend the 90º wheel swing option if available. I would not hesitate to buy used again. Hope that helps...

I use a farm elevator that is so old it is on steel! It started out 36' long and had almost a 90 degree twist to the trough. I cut 12' out and straightened it. A HF 6.5 hp engine powers it at an idle. It travels a little less than 1' a second. I used it for about 6 cords this year. It needs some guards, a load chute and I'm thinking about a swing up discharge chute to get a longer run when needed. It has an 18" wide trough and will crank up to 14' + high. I use my used motor oil on the chains for lube.
Now that it has proven itself and I finally got a year ahead...this winter I'll finish it up.
It was worth all the work. It keeps the workflow organized...You don't have to keep moving the splitter from a split pile crowding you and you can keep your rounds close at hand. All the mess stays in one spot. My girls stack the pile, when they have a chance. They call it "fat camp"!
I know...pictures or it didn't happen. I will try to get them off camera and onto here tonight.

Latest posts

Back